Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep it’s a good stat. Sydney don’t play the mcg well but hardly got a chance to adapt. Brisbane got a trial run vs cats to adapt game style. It’s the curse of the non-vic teams - rack up wins during season then exposed at MCG when it matters.

The Lions don’t have to adapt their game style though - that’s why their MCG form was always purely mental. The Gabba is the closest ground in the league to having the same dimensions as the MCG - its only a few metres shorter and skinnier than the MCG. Of any away team that can play their natural game at the MCG - the Lions are it.

Where does Neale stack up compared to the best midfielders of the last 25 years?

I’ll say this much - he is tougher than the ‘so brave’ Selwood by miles but doesn’t come close to getting that kind of credit. Just because he’s not ducking into tackles and busting his head open - the commentators seem to be missing that he’s a far braver player. That he told the club staff to not tell him what his injury was so he could just go out and play - worsen the injury on game day and then still turn in that performance is just massive. No fake tough guy shit with bandages wrapped around his head - just got the job done.

I’ll say this much - he is tougher than the ‘so brave’ Selwood by miles but doesn’t come close to getting that kind of credit. Just because he’s not ducking into tackles and busting his head open - the commentators seem to be missing that he’s a far braver player. That he told the club staff to not tell him what his injury was so he could just go out and play - worsen the injury on game day and then still turn in that performance is just massive. No fake tough guy shit with bandages wrapped around his head - just got the job done.

Selwood literally invented that arm raise, duck and buckle at the knees that everyone is so up in arms about when players like Ginni and Wiz do it.

He's the architect of one of the most hated aspects of the modern game.

Neal is more skilled, quicker, and tougher.

But the most offensive thing about Selwood imo was the pouting when he lost. It's a character flaw imo. Big time sook on that front.

Never seen a guy so widely lauded, yet so grossly offensive for two fairly hefty reasons.

Was a good player. But could cut up and sook with the best of them.

I'd take Neal every day of the week, no reasons to dislike him other than he doesn't play at the Hawks.

Last edited:
Neal or Selwood? Umm Selwood every day. Great player and leader

Not sure how, after this finals series especially, Neale doesn’t get put in the same category of being a great player and leader. Selwood never came close to having to captain a side through the kind of adversity the Lions had this season.

Not sure how, after this finals series especially, Neale doesn’t get put in the same category of being a great player and leader. Selwood never came close to having to captain a side through the kind of adversity the Lions had this season.
Selwood always lifted when his team needed him. Neale a really good player but Selwood is a great. I hate saying it but for me I can't deny it

I agree. Neale is good but Selwood would put the team on his shoulders. Unfortunately.

How exactly is 35 touches, 18 contested possessions, 9 clearances and 11 score involvements in a GF while playing injured not putting your team on your shoulders? His stats in the prelim were as impressive.

Selwood’s ‘courage’ and leadership are the second biggest myth in the history of the sport behind Paul Roos.

Selwood always lifted when his team needed him. Neale a really good player but Selwood is a great. I hate saying it but for me I can't deny it

And for all his vaunted leadership he led his perpetually contending side to a solitary premiership as captain and oversaw multiple prelim losses or straight sets exits. Great player for sure - but his courage/leadership for mine were always a media construct.

How exactly is 35 touches, 18 contested possessions, 9 clearances and 11 score involvements in a GF while playing injured not putting your team on your shoulders? His stats in the prelim were as impressive.

Selwood’s ‘courage’ and leadership are the second biggest myth in the history of the sport behind Paul Roos.

Went at 88% as well. With a bung foot which he felt snap midway through the game.

Incredible performance. Stiff not to win the Normie but could have raffled it among 5-6 Lions players.

That Lions premiership really does show you that the game is played above the shoulders.

They were 40pts down against the Giants, looked gone. Almost the same story against the Cats, although not the same margin to claw back.
They found that 5% and it was enough to have them steamroll the Giants at home.

People will bang on about how they’re going to go back to back, like they do with every premier, but that game just proves that if any side lifts the foot off the pedal they will get swallowed up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He put the Lions on his shoulders in the GF imo.

Pushed deep back to strengthen them up, broke lines on the way back out. Was damaging in the contest and on the outside.

18 contested and 18 uncontested possessions according to AFL tables, though he somehow had just the 35 touches.

Lions had a lot of winners, he was the chief difference maker to my eye.

31 in the PF, 35 in the GF with a foot injury through the whole series.

Neale playing in queensland and Perth probably hurts his reputation but his career accomplishments out do selwood (premierships aside of course). Selwood leads AAs but has 2 less bnfs (3 v 5) and no brownlows (to 2 for neale). Neale also with the aflca champion.

Neale

Selwood

Neale playing in queensland and Perth probably hurts his reputation but his career accomplishments out do selwood (premierships aside of course). Selwood leads AAs but has 2 less bnfs (3 v 5) and no brownlows (to 2 for neale). Neale also with the aflca champion.

Neale

Selwood

Can't help but feel that Neale will always be criminally underrated due to playing for a Perth and QLD team.
Selwood was an incredible player, but I can't help but think I'd prefer prime Neale to prime Selwood.

Neale

Selwood

I'd call it even. Lachie isn't the leader Selwood was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back