Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking to Heath Shaw this morning who is one of my colleagues and he reckons Harry Perryman is gone and that we are into him because of his elite kicking. Apparently we have been into him for a few years.

Didn't know you were a librarian.

Exactly. How tf are we further down the pack, when just about everyone knows he's from a mad Hawk family and has strong ties with Roughy??
Plus we have the cap space.

What a fool.

What he means is" "I don't like Hawthorn so I hope he doesn't go there".

He is also arrogant enough to think that him sharing that opinion on an obscure TV show will have an influence on Josh Battle.

The idea that Hill “owed us” and was a “mercenary” for not choosing to come back to us when we sat where we sat is laughable at best.

He would absolutely add to our ball movement and could play for another 4+ years.

If he wanted to jump to us you do it every day of the week as he definitely improves us.
Funny thing about the internet, people have different opinions and feelings on things.

We made it easy for him to go home, took a can of coke for a young 3 time premiership player. He could’ve nominated us and made it easier for us to take him back. He didn’t.

I find it hard to look at the opinion of not wanting someone back with the above facts in play, being a laughable stance.

Hypothetically the additions of Battle, Smith and Perryman would improve our squad immensely. Suddenly we have depth.

FB: Hardwick -Blanck - Sicily
HB: Impey - Scrimshaw - Amon
C: Weddle - Smith - CJ
HF: Moore - Chol - Ginnivan
FF: Watson - Lewis - Dear
R: Meek - Day - Newcombe
IC: Battle - Nash - Perryman - Massimo
EG: Ward, Mitchell, McKenzie, McDonald.

I can see this team winning finals. The inclusion of Battle, allows Sic and Weddle to play a more unrestricted game. If we gain Smith, might spell the end for Worps unfortunately. Perryman is a useful utility, albeit I think he will stay with the Giants.

Hopefully Clarkson doesn't know which hotel he will be staying at....

I'm warming to Smith for sure - how do we get it done?

I'm certain we need to keep our first round pick as there will be a player or two of interest to say the least - 2nd rounder and future 3rd rounder with Dogs future second coming back?

This is a sliding doors trade - we will either start a dynasty again or put ourselves back a bit with this trade.

If Smith comes and works out AND we nail our draft pick, then well done Hawthorn.

If Smith is a bust that costs us a first round gun - then not so much.

We need to address the forward line issues in this draft ( I know I've been very bullish on Ford and Gruzewski) but Lewis is injury prone, and Gunston and Breust probably retire.

That's a few holes to fill right there - Dear Chol and Lewis are great, but all 3 need to stay on the park.

I'd hate to stack our midfield but have no-one to kick it to.

I'd be seriously looking at GCS this period - it would cost us a player (Ward maybe?) but they need to trim their list for next season I believe and have no interest or need for draft picks.

Alex Davies, Caleb Graham, Ned Moyle have all shown a bit and may be safer than a draftee?

I'd take Mac Andrew in a heartbeat - is he gettable?

Mac Andrew, Bailey smith and Eddie Ford get us in the eight next season. Maybe the top four.

Bloody exciting eh?

Hypothetically the additions of Battle, Smith and Perryman would improve our squad immensely. Suddenly we have depth.

FB: Hardwick -Blanck - Sicily
HB: Impey - Scrimshaw - Amon
C: Weddle - Smith - CJ
HF: Moore - Chol - Ginnivan
FF: Watson - Lewis - Dear
R: Meek - Day - Newcombe
IC: Battle - Nash - Perryman - Massimo
EG: Ward, Mitchell, McKenzie, McDonald.

I can see this team winning finals. The inclusion of Battle, allows Sic and Weddle to play a more unrestricted game. If we gain Smith, might spell the end for Worps unfortunately. Perryman is a useful utility, albeit I think he will stay with the Giants.
Not sure Blanck walks back into this side. Reckon frosts spot to lose. The depth looks really nice and I’d be hoping most of those guys are getting regular games. Obviously there will be injuries etc

if Hill comes in on the basis he will be playing a role like Gunston this year then I'm all for it. Experienced depth, probably play ~50-60% of games and have a clear focus on teaching MDA, Ward, CJ, even guys like Ginni and Croc who may want to get further upfield as an outside mid option.

He'd probably be in our best 22 but age profile is off and we have solid young outside mid options. he's good enough to play regular AFL though so surely he chases gametime if he wants out.

Funny thing about the internet, people have different opinions and feelings on things.

We made it easy for him to go home, took a can of coke for a young 3 time premiership player. He could’ve nominated us and made it easier for us to take him back. He didn’t.

I find it hard to look at the opinion of not wanting someone back with the above facts in play, being a laughable stance.
He didn’t want to come to us because we were going backwards and we didn’t offer him anything more than the Saints.

This doesn’t make him a mercenary.

If Hill never played for us, it would be a unanimous NO i'd have thought. Been a long time since his best, i'd say since he left Freo he's been well below what he's capable of.

I think Smith would be a good get but I'd much rather keep our draft picks and spend the extra cash topping up offers for Battle, McCluggage and Perryman who would come free as free agents.

I think we've been burnt too much on trading for established players, and you can never get a good deal from it. Late picks for Fringe players who become best 22 like Meek or Dambrasio is great, but i'd much rather use a top 10 pick on a chance for a Bont, Cripps, Day, Reid type than for a good solid player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a 'show', 'Gettable' feels like a couple of skinny-necked Yr 12 work experience kids kitted out in suits two sizes too big have been handed the keys to the AFL.com studio for a school project. What does holding a couple of table tennis bats and balls mean? I think they used to depict themselves as throwing darts - doesn't that read as 'pure guesswork' rather than 'inside knowledge'?

As they are used to holding their paddles and balls in their mother’s basement. So to make them feel more comfortable

Those abs out and about in Ibiza....

Dogecoin 126Bpm GIF

Him being offered 900k or whatever per year at the time wouldn’t have anything to do with it? That, I find hard to believe.
We didn't offer him the same money, and we were trending backwards. What's so hard to understand here that we need to construct a narrative that he was a 'mercenary' for not wanting to join us?

We didn't offer him the same money, and we were trending backwards. What's so hard to understand here that we need to construct a narrative that he was a 'mercenary' for not wanting to join us?

Same posters would be crowing if we signed Battle as a free agent if he came for more money and he saw us as being a team on the rise. Players want money and to win games - how very dare they!

If Hill never played for us, it would be a unanimous NO i'd have thought. Been a long time since his best, i'd say since he left Freo he's been well below what he's capable of.
Probably because he chose Marvel Stadium

No surprise his best footy was at the MCG and Optus Stadium

Now he wants to come home when we may be on the rise and can offer decent coin, to me that sounds like a mercenary.

Players should do what benefits them sure, but the loyalty I believe we as a club earned by good will wasn’t repaid so he can lay in the bed he made or go elsewhere. I for one wouldn’t bother. If he came cheap would I complain? No. But I’m not just gonna advocate for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back