Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am enjoying all the trade speculation and our improved performance means we’re in with a better chance of landing a free agent.

If we keep winning the appeal is strong for F/A and it’s so nice that possibility of finals is still possible for us at this time of the year again.

In our 3peat years FA and trade was not even seriously on my mind at this stage of the year.

I can see Serong looking for a move to Freo at the end of next year if he can't get a consistent spot in our first 22.

DGB could end up on a rookie list at Norf or the Weagles. If Battle comes in DGB would be redundant with Serong and possibly Phillips also on the list.
Why do people keep suggesting Freo as a club that Serong might go to ?

Hes from Warragul not Perth.

Yeah he has a brother at Freo !! Wow
He also has a brother in Warragul as well as a mum & dad & many many cousins.

He’s also not a ‘need’ for Freo.

Why do people keep suggesting Freo as a club that Serong might go to ?

Hes from Warragul not Perth.

Yeah he has a brother at Freo !! Wow
He also has a brother in Warragul as well as a mum & dad & many many cousins.

He’s also not a ‘need’ for Freo.
Legit, it's hilarious how many people think he is from WA because Caleb plays over there

Legit, it's hilarious how many people think he is from WA because Caleb plays over there
I don’t think I’ve read anyone say he is from WA (I may be wrong?), I think the suggestion more refers to the lure of playing in a team with his brother.

But in any case the issue would be that Freo may not need and are unlikely to trade for the sake of it, unless it helps keep the brother in WA.

I don’t think I’ve read anyone say he is from WA (I may be wrong?), I think the suggestion more refers to the lure of playing in a team with his brother.

But in any case the issue would be that Freo may not need and are unlikely to trade for the sake of it, unless it helps keep the brother in WA.
I’ve seen a couple of people post that Serong is from wa but I don’t know if that was number23 way of thinking

if DGB and Serong had not been drafted and were in the MSD, which one would you pick?

I doubt DGB would even get drafted in the MSD.
Serong definitely would.
Yet when it comes to talk about trades, most would be happy to let go of Serong but still hold onto hopes of DGB making it with us. It's all a bit weird.

Serong would be in if Sicily had to miss games I reckon

Massive news.

I have no problem with a father son going at pick one or an academy kid going in the first round. The problem I have always had is when a club has multiple academy kids in the same round, they should only have the ability to match one of them in each round.

None of this GC bullshit of being able to match 3 academy kids in the first round.

FS should stay the same except for no points reduction, clubs should have to pay full price. You'll find most clubs will do that anyway.

Massive news.

I have a Richmond mate absolutely losing his mind over this and to me it is quite funny. Probably shows where we are headed in terms of the list and how we look at the draft now. I can see why people are saying its too harsh to bring it in now but also can see why the AFL want to rip the Band-Aid off. I think I am in the camp of just do it now but also know I am strongly in that group because I want to see the Carlton and Richmond fans melting over the AFL being biased against them somehow

I have a Richmond mate absolutely losing his mind over this and to me it is quite funny. Probably shows where we are headed in terms of the list and how we look at the draft now. I can see why people are saying its too harsh to bring it in now but also can see why the AFL want to rip the Band-Aid off. I think I am in the camp of just do it now but also know I am strongly in that group because I want to see the Carlton and Richmond fans melting over the AFL being biased against them somehow

I can see their point though. Clubs plan for these picks and this is amateur stuff from the afl.

Good change that is well overdue but to drop it on clubs a few months in advance is shit.

I have no problem with a father son going at pick one or an academy kid going in the first round. The problem I have always had is when a club has multiple academy kids in the same round, they should only have the ability to match one of them in each round.

None of this GC bullshit of being able to match 3 academy kids in the first round.

FS should stay the same except for no points reduction, clubs should have to pay full price. You'll find most clubs will do that anyway.
I'd be ok with multiple academy and father/son's in the first round as long as first round picks are being used as part of the matching process. Otherwise we get bullshit like last year where the "first round" is pushed all the way out to pick 29. Over half way into the natural round 2.

I suggested years ago on here that they should make it so that when matching with multiple picks, the best pick used in that total should comprise at least some high percentage of the total (80-90%). That way if you're matching a bid at pick 5 then you'd at least need to use a relatively comparable pick to match plus additional later picks to make the total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On face value of the reported changes, Richmond and Carlton are definitely being screwed here. They used last year to prepare for this year and now the rules are potentially changing to make the picks they obtained useless for their purposes.

They'll really struggle to turn all those late picks into the earlier ones they'll need because (surprise, surprise!) no club would trade a good early early pick for a bunch of late scrap picks unless there was a manufactured reason to do so.

I tended to agree, but then look at the Camporeale twins - their parents didn't have to choose - so why should Carlton?

I actually don't have an issue with the northern Zones themselves (would prefer NGA limits are removed, and even see return to local Vic zoning too!).

The issue I have is the points calculation required to match. I'd have no issues with adjusting pick values for 2025 onwards - but 2024 picks have already been live in market trading so it's patently unfair to change their value now.

2024 - Current Values for all 2024 picks. Future picks (2025/2026?) are available for trade but their value is based on the revised points schedule (far greater decay of points value) - that is published prior to trade week
2025 - Normal trading.

Until we replace "picks" with "points" and a bidding process - adjusting the equivalent value of draft picks is the best method we have.

Dare say it would be a single circle Venn diagram with the Noah Anderson 'bring him home' folk who ignore the fact that he was a Tigers supporter growing up.

Massive news.

This would be the best change ever. I mean a complete overhaul is really the only way to drive equalisation and a pure draft but then the clubs would not have an incentive to run academies. Doesn't the AFL have enough money to pay for Nation wide academies rather than the clubs needing to do it ?

This discussion might belong in a different thread, so Mods can move if they wish.

The rules should be changed. My suggestion would be:

1. Reduce the discount. 10% for academies. No discount for Father/Son. If an academy kid is also eligible for F/S, there is zero discount no matter which club he picks. If a club is lucky enough to be able to match more than 2 bids in the same draft, any discount after the first 2 bids should be reduced to 5% or zero.

2. Every bid must be matched with a pick within 15 picks of the bid. Being in the same round is too difficult because a bid might come at pick 17. But no more matching pick 9 with 34 and 38. It might take two picks to match a bid, but at least one must be within 15 picks of the bid. This could be reduced to 10 or 12, but I think 15 would be fair and easier to manage.

3. Clubs with NGA players should be able to match bids earlier. The top ten might be exempt and 11-20 might have a smaller discount, but there is not much incentive for clubs if the top 40 picks are all off limits.

The AFL also need to do lots of work on equalizing the fixture and sharing the marquee timeslots, but that is another story.

I can see their point though. Clubs plan for these picks and this is amateur stuff from the afl.

Good change that is well overdue but to drop it on clubs a few months in advance is shit.
Yeah I definitely agree...which is making baiting the hook on my mate even harder as I need to say things like "while I see what you're saying its really poor from your list management to not see it coming" all while I absolutely agree with everything he is saying

I have a Richmond mate absolutely losing his mind over this and to me it is quite funny. Probably shows where we are headed in terms of the list and how we look at the draft now. I can see why people are saying it’s too harsh to bring it in now but also can see why the AFL want to rip the Band-Aid off. I think I am in the camp of just do it now but also know I am strongly in that group because I want to see the Carlton and Richmond fans melting over the AFL being biased against them somehow
I don’t understand the Richmond argument. Other teams could offer future 1st rounders and out bid their crappy late picks anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back