Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

But you don’t know that when making a trade
It's a better bet than a top 15 pick that will take 3 years minimum to develop. If they even come good. You're buying ready made gun for at least 3 years with Barrass. If I was a betting man and had to pick either way to go and what the position the team is. I'm going with Barrass over a draft pick.

And their shots on goal come from more difficult positions
Good example is the Freo game at UTAS. They may have got inside 50 but they struggled to get it inside 40 so took a lot of shots from distance.

IMG_0547.jpeg

I am surprised more people aren’t scared at the Barrass quotes that were posed a few pages back…

His comments on his back set off huge alarm bells for me. Especially when more often than not a player is going to try and downplay these sorts of issues.

They aren't encouraging, are they.

And their shots on goal come from more difficult positions
I don't think that's really true either. We've been great the last 5 weeks but we've been let off in a big way by the opposition, particularly Adelaide last week.

Over the past 5 matches opposition are kicking further below their expected score against us than any other club in the league. We've got the 3rd worst MI50 rate against (after Richmond and West Coast), 2nd worst SS/I50 rate against (after Richmond).

It is a part of the ground we need to improve, particularly if we're going to continue to attack and move the ball dangerously.

He's a gun and I still believe he'll be worth a top 10 pick.
He's also worked very hard on his contested ball as shown at Box Hill. I'm not sure if you follow Box Hill games.

His game against Adelaide was a big step in the right direction. 19 possessions with only 78% time on ground. If he played about 90% TOG
he probably gets around 24 possies.
Also about 330 metres gained.

Against the Pies he had close to 20 possies with about 72% TOG. also had 270 metres gained (same as Newk). Plus 3 clearances.

He's not kicking the ball sideways which was one criticism about him. So when kicking it fwd he's very precise.... A turnover is not what the coach wants.

The important thing is to be part of a team dynamic. And at only 20 yrs old (almost 21) he's going to be part of this dynamic team we're building.
All good points mate, but "same as Newk", not in the right areas unfortunately. Jai does alot more damage thankfully.

Top 10 Pick, if that's the case take it and run I'd say!!

I am surprised more people aren’t scared at the Barrass quotes that were posed a few pages back…

His comments on his back set off huge alarm bells for me. Especially when more often than not a player is going to try and downplay these sorts of issues.
Why would I be? The club will do their due dilligence medically. He was quite open that he's in pain often but when he warms up and into it he's fine, he didn't have any complications returning to footy and his football hasn't really suffered because of it.

It's a better bet than a top 15 pick that will take 3 years minimum to develop. If they even come good. You're buying ready made gun for at least 3 years with Barrass. If I was a betting man and had to pick either way to go and what the position the team is. I'm going with Barrass over a draft pick.
That’s hyperbole. Is Watson going to take 3 years to develop? Did Weddle? Some may and some may not.

Also if it’s A draft pick that’s fine, my concern is it’s going to be multiple.

Why would I be? The club will do their due dilligence medically. He was quite open that he's in pain often but when he warms up and into it he's fine, he didn't have any complications returning to footy and his football hasn't really suffered because of it.
He also acknowledged it could shorten his career and said at times it still feels like he has a broken back.

Our backline still gets exposed when the ball gets inside 50 with any speed.

We are doing a great job at impeding opposition ball movement.

The next evolution of our defence is being dependable when the chips are against us.

This is where Battle and Barras can make a huge difference. Especially the latter.
Spot on the money, just look how bad it looked in the first quarter last week, 11 scoring shots the crows had. They scored nearly every entry.

That’s hyperbole. Is Watson going to take 3 years to develop? Did Weddle? Some may and some may not.

Watson and Weddle are the exception. Not the norm. If it's something like 2 first rounders you walk away. Has to be reasonable due to age and back issues.

But you don’t know that when making a trade
But you make the trade because you believe he will.
Would you rather use pick 10 on someone who could get us a flag in a couple of years or at the very least help us win more games so that we're a serious threat to others again ..... or on a kid who wont be ready for another three/four years if at all?
The coachs obviously believe the good of Barrass outweighs the bad, and that's good enough for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also acknowledged it could shorten his career and said at times it still feels like he has a broken back.
He acknowledged it could shorten his career if it happens again. Given how freakish it was the first time it's unlikely to happen again. He also said he still feels like he has a broken back when static, i.e., not when playing footy, and it's also an article from 6 months ago. Since then he's put in a season on par or close to his best, no worries.

Like I said, the club will do their due diligence medically and that's good enough for me. Clubs won't take a risk with anything they don't think they can manage, and rarely does a player move to another club and fail to have an impact through a pre-existing injury. O'Meara missed 2 full seasons, arrived to the club unable to run and we still got plenty of games out of him.

Spot on the money, just look how bad it looked in the first quarter last week, 11 scoring shots the crows had. They scored nearly every entry.
But what about the other 3 quarters? Esp the last half where our defence smashed them. But yes, had we not kicked straight that first quarter (and they took their chances), it could've been a very different game

Exactly, all clubs do such due diligence.

I think we just back the club in with whatever decision they make. Who would've thought we would be at this stage in our rebuild already! How many clubs get every trade right. At this stage we are in a great spot!

Josh Weddle was pick 18, Will Day was pick 13.
I think you should support North or some other team given your fascination with draft picks. There are many ways to bring in talent to a football club. The Draft is one way but not the only way and it also can be hit and miss just like ever other method.

I don't think that's really true either. We've been great the last 5 weeks but we've been let off in a big way by the opposition, particularly Adelaide last week.

Over the past 5 matches opposition are kicking further below their expected score against us than any other club in the league. We've got the 3rd worst MI50 rate against (after Richmond and West Coast), 2nd worst SS/I50 rate against (after Richmond).

It is a part of the ground we need to improve, particularly if we're going to continue to attack and move the ball dangerously.

I appreciate it's a risk we take by employing our high defensive line. So how do we address this?

But you make the trade because you believe he will.
Would you rather use pick 10 on someone who could get us a flag in a couple of years or at the very least help us win more games so that we're a serious threat to others again ..... or on a kid who wont be ready for another three/four years if at all?
The coachs obviously believe the good of Barrass outweighs the bad, and that's good enough for me.
But again you are using an optimistic view to pump up one option and a pessimistic view for the other.

What if I were to say would you rather use pick 10 on a guy who has at absolute best 3-4 good years in him and could decline in 1-2 or use it on a draftee that will be on a cheap contract and could play for 10 plus years?

He acknowledged it could shorten his career if it happens again. Given how freakish it was the first time it's unlikely to happen again. He also said he still feels like he has a broken back when static, i.e., not when playing footy, and it's also an article from 6 months ago. Since then he's put in a season on par or close to his best, no worries.

Like I said, the club will do their due diligence medically and that's good enough for me. Clubs won't take a risk with anything they don't think they can manage, and rarely does a player move to another club and fail to have an impact through a pre-existing injury. O'Meara missed 2 full seasons, arrived to the club unable to run and we still got plenty of games out of him.
We got games out of him but he never reached his best because of the impact those injuries had. We never got the best again out of Scully because of his injuries just to name a couple. I’m not saying we shouldn’t consider him, I just think his issues seriously impact what we should be considering giving up.

I think you should support North or some other team given your fascination with draft picks. There are many ways to bring in talent to a football club. The Draft is one way but not the only way and it also can be hit and miss just like ever other method.
I think that’s an unfair comment, you don’t have to agree but it’s fine to have a different view of how we should be using our assets going forward.

We got games out of him but he never reached his best because of the impact those injuries had. We never got the best again out of Scully because of his injuries just to name a couple. I’m not saying we shouldn’t consider him, I just think his issues seriously impact what we should be considering giving up.
Scully and Patton were attempts at moneyball pick ups and salary dumps, and neither of those guys failed for us because of their injuries, they both ended up leaving the game for personal reasons. We would never have given up genuine trade resources for them.

In O'Meara the point was that we managed to get good footy out of him despite worse injury issues, and not even having the confidence of knowing he was able to play football coming in. Barrass is playing football, he's the 4th highest rated key defender in the league at the moment and seems otherwise fine.

I agree that it should mean we'll give up less for him, but it's not worrisome at all.

Essentially what we would be doing though is bringing in Barrass who is an area we desperately need and someone who is one of the best fullbacks in the competition.

We could only hope that a first rounder gets to his level of ability and then if it was a first round kpd talent, most take 5+ years to develop into good AFL level footballers.

We need a fullback now, Barrass is the best available and we do currently have a hell of a lot of young talent on the list where we can afford to use a first round to get him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back