Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned Ryerson I found another spelling mistake, over to you mate do your thing....
This sniping is getting old real quick, can we go back to the players?

Fwiw I'm fully in the camp to let our first go for Barrass, in fact I think it's lunacy not to given where we're at. As others have pointed out we have a plethora of youngsters who struggle to get game time and a forward line that's working perfectly well now with Lewis still to come back and if we get Battle that will release someone like Weddle or Sicily or Battle himself to spend more time forward.
What possible good would our first do in getting a developing fwd or another mid?
We're going to get Anderson as it is, we want another mid too?

Barrass by himself fixes our backline problems by releasing valuable players, on that point alone he's worth giving our first up.

Isn't Barrass top 5 for losses in 1-on-1 contests? Was a stat up on Footy Classified or On the Couch last week

He is also top 5 for marks in 1-on-1.

So he either will win the contest with a mark, or get out-marked himself. He's a win or lose. Doesn't half many.

Not sure that's ideal, but seems to be against convention that he's an elite defender

Isn't Barrass top 5 for losses in 1-on-1 contests? Was a stat up on Footy Classified or On the Couch last week

So he either will win the contest with a mark, or get out-marked himself. He's a win or lose. Doesn't half many.

Not sure that's ideal, but seems to be against convention that he's an elite defender
It's a bad stat if you see how it's defined. If player has a 5m lead and the defender (even if it's not his man) tried to close the gap and just arrived late, I'm pretty sure that's counted as a 1v1 loss. Or something similar at least.

Pair that with WCEs terrible transition defence and it's easy to see why.

Frost had a putrid one last year and has been awesome this year. He's improved but that defensive prowess didn't appear over the off-season at 30 years old

Prime Chris Langford and Chris Mew would struggle if they were at the Eagles

It's a bad stat if you see how it's defined. If player has a 5m lead and the defender (even if it's not his man) tried to close the gap and just arrived late, I'm pretty sure that's counted as a 1v1 loss. Or something similar at least.

Frost had a putrid one last year and has been awesome this year. He's improved but that defensive prowess didn't appear over the off-season at 30 years old
Yeah you're 100% right.

If you give up on a lead you're fine, no 1:1 registered, no loss registered. So as a West Coast player Barrass has relatively few 1:1s as they normally double team, and when he invariably does have one it's because he's trying to contest from a mile away because West Coast's midfield is slow as a wet week and they struggle to defend on transition.

Even McGovern is losing 27% of his 1:1s there.

Edit: to add to that, in total numbers Barrass has lost 11 one on ones for the season. That's less than one a game.

not sure it's that loose

One-On-One Contest: A 50-50 contest that occurs after a kick, and involves only two players – a target player and a defender. Each player must have a reasonable chance to win the ball in order for a one-on-one to be recorded. Winning and losing percentages refer to how often a player wins the ball or concedes a possession to his opponent. A neutral result is recorded when the ball is spoiled or results in a stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure it's that loose

One-On-One Contest: A 50-50 contest that occurs after a kick, and involves only two players – a target player and a defender. Each player must have a reasonable chance to win the ball in order for a one-on-one to be recorded. Winning and losing percentages refer to how often a player wins the ball or concedes a possession to his opponent. A neutral result is recorded when the ball is spoiled or results in a stoppage.
I've gone back and looked at the AFL replays on the app for what constitutes a 1:1 loss. You'd be surprised, I can't even give you a straight answer on what "reasonable chance to win" means given that I've seen what looked like direct contests not be registered.

To reiterate a point from above, Barrass has lost 11 contested defensive 1:1s this season. The percentage looks far worse than the actual raw numbers.

Defenders who mark the ball are worth their weight in gold.

Not only do they stop the opposition from marking it, they take crumbling forwards out of the game as well.

Instant pressure relief valve.

Yep, and that's why Scrimshaw, Sicily and Weddle are encouraged to back themselves in the air.

Not only do they stop the opposition from marking it, they take crumbling forwards out of the game as well.

Yep, in the threepeat years, generally Lake would mark, where Frawley mostly punched the ball, when, at times, the mark was on.
Used to be frustrating.

Agree. Huge asset.

But needs to be balanced with the disadvantage of getting outmarked, because that's set shots on goal against.
Always was of the view Barrass was a gun defender, so the stats I saw the other night were confusing.

Yep, in the threepeat years, generally Lake would mark, where Frawley mostly punched the ball, when, at times, the mark was on.
Used to be frustrating.

How good was Lake!!!! Didn’t matter who we are playing or how big the opponent was he didn’t take a backward step ever and made everyone around him walk taller.

Wish we had him for the other 10 years he was playing at the Dogs. ⭐

not sure it's that loose

Yeah point is it's subjective, makes it a weird stat - also really low volume which makes volatility a factor from year to year

Key defenders sorted by 1on1 contest loss percentage
View attachment 2080765
The top 6 here are all from teams who concede the most scores from turnovers and stoppages. Concede more I50's and allow their opposition the most uncontested use of the ball.

They might be 1v1's but I bet a lot of them are with the ball going to the advantage of the forward. Also 1.8 Def 1v1 per game isn't very many. That's like one def 1v1 every second game that he's clearly lost.

Barrass is 2nd in the league for intercept marks taken by key defenders. 3.6/game. Scrimshaw and Sicily go at 2.5 and 2.4.

not sure it's that loose

One on One:

A hidden Hall and Oates gem, whose first four lines were written to describe Tom Barrass’s current frustrations at West Coast:

I’m tired of playing on the team
It seems I don’t get time out anymore
What a change (to the Hawks would be) if we set the pace face to face
No one even trying to score oh (reflecting West Coast as second worst in the comp for offence)

When the Eagles offered new contract terms Barrass said I can’t go for that. And the relationship’s only got worse since.

Key defenders sorted by 1on1 contest loss percentage
View attachment 2080765
to put this into perspective

In the 3 premiership years Brian Lake went 28.4, 15.8 and 34.4 and Josh Gibson was 20.6, 19.7 and 20.8

In his premiership year James Frawley went 20.7

The issue with comparing these though is the number of 1v1 contests vary

Barrass this year is registering 1.7, in 2013 Brian Lake had 4.9 and Josh Gibson had 4.3, in 2014 Lake had 3.5 and Josh Gibson had 3.6 and in 2015 Lake had 2.8, Gibson 2.1 and Frawley 1.6

As teams have developed ways to get a 3rd man over these direct 1v1 should fall away

I am firmly in the camp of give the pick up

I reckon the deal is already agreed upon in principle. The rest is hot air.

Tyler ok so it looks like his coming, let's say Blanck has a killer pre season and starts in the pre season games killing it, as who knew all the kids would play so well this year and come of age, do we still play Barrass in the senior side with what we paid to get him even if Blanck is out performing him, I know it all hypothetical but it could happen.

Agree. Huge asset.

But needs to be balanced with the disadvantage of getting outmarked, because that's set shots on goal against.
Always was of the view Barrass was a gun defender, so the stats I saw the other night were confusing.
We saw Weddle learn the lessons where he elected to punch against Blues when he knew the KPF was likely behind him.

Weddle got out marked or have the ball snatched off him twice by Hogan in the game against GWS. He seemed crushed both times it happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back