Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They didn't play hard ball. The Eagles and Hawks have been respectful negotiations. Barrass will be done and both parties will be happy.
This assumes we never offered 14. If we did and f2 even with an f3 back they still end up with 3, Baker, f2 instead of f3. Now they end up with 12, Baker, Owies and f2 instead of f3. Even using DVI that values Owies at pick 19. Absolute negligence.

And he has traits that see you make it. He’s living up to the beast title with his chase and tackling on top of size, but he’s pretty quick and somewhat evasive too. I also like that he can kick decently in both sides and hits the scoreboard. For a late bid match it’s a no brainer in my view he could start as a pressure forward as he develops his body, tank and craft.
He has some ability, but watching the video not too many of his kicks landed with teammates. Hopefully with a bit more experience he'll get better at that. At the moment he just seems to be rushing without taking the time to deliver the ball a bit better.

He has some ability, but watching the video not too many of his kicks landed with teammates. Hopefully with a bit more experience he'll get better at that. At the moment he just seems to be rushing without taking the time to deliver the ball a bit better.
You can always teach a kid to kick. Worley case in point - harder to teach them that ability to get the ball.

HOT TAKE

Owies and Baker are good AFL players. West Coast were uncompetitive this year.

Sliding down from FOS/Reid/Lalor to Travaglia/Allan/Lindsay/Trainor range for guys in their prime who will be best 23 staples is good business.

If they replace guys like Rotham and Petruccelle, that's a significant boost.

HOT TAKE

Sliding down from FOS/Reid/Lalor to Travaglia/Allan/Lindsay/Trainor range for guys in their prime who will be best 23 staples is good business.

3 could have been turned into 2 picks around the 10 mark. Add our pick 14 and they get 3 x 1st round players and kick off the serious rebuild. For the cost of a 29 year old.

They ****ed this up pure and simple.

Everybody remembers that the West Coast list manager job was up on Seek during the year right?

They shouldn't have ignored my application.

I drafted Jack Ginnivan for us in a 2020 Phantom draft.
I also hitched my wagon to a young bloke called Jai Newcombe when I watched him play one half of VFL footy.

SOMETIMES I do legitimately believe us nuffies make better calls than some of the actual people being paid to do the job.

I'm coming for Kinnear Beatson next. You may know him from such draft nights as 2022, where he traded out the pick that we used on Josh Weddle, then subsequently selected now-delisted Cooper Vickery at pick 27 and said he had him '12th overall on our draft board'.

3 could have been turned into 2 picks around the 10 mark. Add our pick 14 and they get 3 x 1st round players and kick off the serious rebuild. For the cost of a 29 year old.

They ****ed this up pure and simple.

West Coast don't need that many kids though - they need established bodies. They turned a 9 point pick slide into two best 22 players. It's not the best trade ever but it's certainly not the worst.

WC is going full GC in one off season.

On one hand, giving up pick 3 for Liam Baker.

But then, digging their heals in O’meara style with Barrass, and everyone here has been conditioned to think a F1 and F2 is a good deal 😂.

A single pick in the 20’s is closer to the correct value

West Coast don't need that many kids though - they need established bodies. They turned a 9 point pick slide into two best 22 players. It's not the best trade ever but it's certainly not the worst.

Owies is best 22 because their list is terrible. They need a rebuild. Topping up sets them back yet another year.

This is what the Roos did over and over til they finally bit the bullet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so ignoring the hot mess West Coast has unnecessarily caused themselves.

Do we think Barrass is still going to get to us? Or has this become a die by the sword situation for them and they are letting their pride get in the way?

Owies is best 22 because their list is terrible. They need a rebuild. Topping up sets them back yet another year.

This is what the Roos did over and over til they finally bit the bullet.

Owies is by no means a difference maker - but he's a best 22 player at Carlton so he's not only getting a game because he is going to the Eagles.

They are rebuilding also - their average list age and games played will still be firmly entrenched in the low tier. They are getting more picks from us for Barrass that they can use next year or trade back into the first round this year. They aren't being magicians by any stretch but I think they'll get the balance right overall. The last thing they need next year is to get pantsed every week like Richmond will. If they add Warner next year as well they'll be in a good place. I would rather have their list right now than Richmond's - even with the bounty of picks the Tigers will have.

I dunno, hardly a market for Owies and there are a number of ways they could have got his services.

Don’t rain on our parade, Ned

You Debbie Downer you…

Look I was part of the parade and having a giggle at the posts overnight - but I reckon Bardo made a good point. Being that they are getting pick 12 back and getting Owies and Baker then I think that is decent business. If they don't get pick 12 back then they are the clownshow everyone is saying though.

HOT TAKE

Owies and Baker are both out of contract.

One is about to be a DFA.

The other they could have walked to the PSD (unless Richmond decide to pick him again).

This is an absolute disaster.

And Liam Baker is criminally underrated around here.

They didn't though. Based on this they turned pick 3 into pick 12, Baker and Owies. They did okay. Bardo State's objective view was a good one.

But they did.

It’s Liam Baker, 12 and junk.

Generally if a team offers up a top pick for trade other clubs clamber to offer a premium. Think of the ridiculous offers that were knocked back by North and WC (last year) for pick one. The ones excepted received multiple top 10 picks.

Owies is by no means a difference maker - but he's a best 22 player at Carlton so he's not only getting a game because he is going to the Eagles.

They are rebuilding also - their average list age and games played will still be firmly entrenched in the low tier. They are getting more picks from us for Barrass that they can use next year or trade back into the first round this year. They aren't being magicians by any stretch but I think they'll get the balance right overall. The last thing they need next year is to get pantsed every week like Richmond will. If they add Warner next year as well they'll be in a good place. I would rather have their list right now than Richmond's - even with the bounty of picks the Tigers will have.

Why arent Carlton giving him a contract? Why didnt they give him more years last year which is what happens with every single contracted player clubs want to retain?

They want him gone.

Owies and Baker are both out of contract.

One is about to be a DFA.

The other they could have walked to the PSD (unless Richmond decide to pick him again).

This is an absolute disaster.

Yeah but West Coast aren't complete dicks clearly. You're suggesting Dodo like moves - let's all be grateful we have one team willing to facilitate trades. If every team was playing like this Geelong are it would be even more tedious than it is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back