Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooper Stevens, Clay Tucker, Jack O’Sullivan (unfortunately, I love his game but he can’t stay fit, makes me sad adding his name) is who I think of off the top of my head.

OK. You have a better handle on the list. Didn't think of those players. Cooper Stevens. Forgotten all about him. So much positive talk about him. Still, I think there are players on the list that other clubs will be interested in and we may be prepared to trade for the right price or player. We are in a pretty good position. And I may be old school but I don't like the club being gamed by players and their cowboy managers for money. There needs to be real intent to want to play for the club. Not just a money deal. To that end I was quite pleased we didn't pick up McKay or Ratugolea last year.

I wouldn't mind Will Phil at the Hawks.

He's obviously got zero confidence and his coach subbing him out after he smashed Daicos is probably going to put him at rock bottom.

Sam has a proven track record of getting the most out of guys who are desperate for a change of scenery. I think in a team that supports him and confidence he could be a very good midfielder.

I wouldn't mind Will Phil at the Hawks.

He's obviously got zero confidence and his coach subbing him out after he smashed Daicos is probably going to put him at rock bottom.

Sam has a proven track record of getting the most out of guys who are desperate for a change of scenery. I think in a team that supports him and confidence he could be a very good midfielder.

He was subbed because he was absolutely spent after running with Daicos all day, who is a robot.

Sensible call I reckon

correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all teams need to clear a minimum of 3 spots on their list prior to the draft?

With Scaife and Phillips added to the list due to LTI's, I believe we will need to reduce our list by 5.

As per IGTOW, probably includes Stephens and O'Sullivan and perhaps Tucker? Then a group of players possibly traded or retired: Chad, DGB, Morrison, Gunners.

It would be great if somehow, lists were extended for 2025 and beyond. I doubt it though.

correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all teams need to clear a minimum of 3 spots on their list prior to the draft?
It's a little more convoluted than that, to the point where I'm not sure, but to my understanding...

Clubs must draft THREE to their senior list, but rookie elevations can count as draftees.

At the moment, with 2 extra players on our senior and CatA rookie list, (of which only 36 are senior listed, when the max is 38) we could...purely theoretically, you understand... only get rid of two rookies, and one from the senior list...elevate 2 rookies to the senior list, and only take ONE at the draft.

Not that that is what will happen, of course...it definitely won't; just making the point.

The flexibility in senior lists (36-38), when we currently only have 36, gives us juggling options

Cooper Stevens, Clay Tucker, Jack O’Sullivan (unfortunately, I love his game but he can’t stay fit, makes me sad adding his name) is who I think of off the top of my head.
Tucker stays. Is starting to show a bit at Box Hill and needs more time in the system. Look how long it took for Meek and Reeves to become AFL standard. Steven’s is no brainer, JOS deserves another year but probably behind too many other small forwards now. We could loose a player or two through trades to other clubs. Alot to play out till the season ends

Tucker stays. Is starting to show a bit at Box Hill and needs more time in the system. Look how long it took for Meek and Reeves to become AFL standard. Steven’s is no brainer, JOS deserves another year but probably behind too many other small forwards now. We could loose a player or two through trades to other clubs. Alot to play out till the season ends
With the new ruck rules I reckon clubs will be targeting more heavy set ruckman than the project bean pole. Don’t think that bodes well for Clay.

Meek, Ned, Chol, Ramsden, Dear, Skaife can all play ruck, given some not full time. Nash and Weddle have gone in too but obviously have much preferred positions. I know big men take time but we have options there. Maybe they hold onto to Clay too, I don’t really know.

I’m tipping Morrison looks for opportunity elsewhere, Breust probably retires, Chad is a potential player to want to move on/retire, Gunston 50/50 so maybe there is enough to keep Clay.

I really like JOS and the the way he plays and if he could stay on the park I reckon there was a debut at some point this season, extremely unfortunate. Possible re-rookie?

Not sure of the exact rules, but we should hang onto as many of these players as possible. With tassie coming in, the draft will be 15of the first 20 picks awarded to the devils. They will keep half and trade the rest. Even getting a few late teen picks for multiple of the above mentioned players will be valuable to stay in the draft through the compromised years.

Touch wood nothing happens but in one year we have gone from one key forward to having 4 (including Scaife) and a midfield that can’t let Ward in, and L Mcabe coming in for frost is the last piece of the backline, we are looking very good list wise at the moment. If we get the above mentioned teen draft pick next year or the year after to keep the midfielders coming through we will be in good stead for 2027 and beyond.

It’s a shame that the new ruck rules have probably eroded Reeves’ trade value. With Chol able to pinch hit at a much better level than Kosi ever could and Meek going to another level this year and some other tall options in our fringe players if we wanted to extract some value and clear list space he might have been an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a shame that the new ruck rules have probably eroded Reeves’ trade value. With Chol able to pinch hit at a much better level than Kosi ever could and Meek going to another level this year and some other tall options in our fringe players if we wanted to extract some value and clear list space he might have been an option.
Reeves was great v Adelaide.
Chol hardly ever rucks. Maybe to do with his wrist strapping?

Reeves was great v Adelaide.
Chol hardly ever rucks. Maybe to do with his wrist strapping?

More talking in terms of future team structure. No harm in keeping Reeves but if it came to giving up Reeves or giving up Huss/Ward I know which I’d prefer.

Scaife, Chol, Dear are enough.
We can’t fit 4.

If we want to make a big play this trade period we will have the assets to make it happen.
Important to keep in mind that these so called assets (the contracted ones) have to agree to leave via trade. How the club goes about that can cause a lot of issues between club and playing group.

Yes we need to clear 5 spots given philips and scaife. Stephens the only certain delist. Expect JOS gets another year although probably delist and re-rookie. Tucker stays for 2 more he’s showing signs and even Gawn didn’t crack seniors until 24. 2 of wingard Breust Gunston likely finish so that’s 4. Also depends who comes in and what good draft picks we have to decide how many we move on, but I hope it’s kept to a minimum. 2 FA and 2 draft picks inside 20 would be ideal.

Last edited:
Yes we need to clear 5 spots given philips and scaife. Stephens the only certain delist. Expect JOS gets another year although probably delist and re-rookie. Tucker stays for 2 more he’s showing signs and even Gawn didn’t crack seniors until 24. 2 of wingard Breust Gunston likely finish so that’s 4. Also depends who comes in and what good draft picks we have to decide how many we move on, but I hope it’s kept to a minimum. 2 FA and 2 draft picks inside 20 would be ideal.
While we can flex the number of rookies, I’d expect we’d need senior spots clear to elevate some of Blanck, Ramsden and Seamus back up from the rookie list. All three have multiple year contracts. Unsure how the MSD half year pickups for Rama and blanck affects the maximum three years on the rookie list.

Reports on Friday were we want Gunston and Breust to play on.
If we bring in 2 free agents/trades we will need to get rid of 7 players.

that will not be easy and will cause quite a deal of consternation amongst we Bigfootiers. Some much-loved players will need to exit the club :(
The fine line between building and cutting legends of the club a year early who go elsewhere and then never return and their father sons dont want us and we're all alone ;)

Reports on Friday were we want Gunston and Breust to play on.
If we bring in 2 free agents/trades we will need to get rid of 7 players.
I highly doubt Breust will go on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back