Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to continue the discussion.
You're correct.
Others can think what they want.

*in saying this, HAD WE BEEN IN POSITION TO SELECT ONE OR THE OTHER, it was the wrong decision & almost certainly will prove to be the wrong decision.
No to McDonald. He’s just not that good. We need a key defender not a key forward.

I'm not directly attacking any valuable itks I'm just mentioning how easy it is for people to make stuff up. It went from battle is coming to hawthorn, to he's staying at st kilda, to he's coming to hawthorn in the span of a week.
No offense, but you have seemingly been here for 5 minutes.

I’ve been here for 20 years as have others.
A lot of us know who has good info. When they post what they’ve heard we know it’s based on something that they’ve heard from within the industry that they are/were a part of.

There’s also some posters here might look like your every day Joe blow but they’re connected a lot more than they let on.

It’s why some posters can say something and others immediately take note.

No to McDonald. He’s just not that good. We need a key defender not a key forward.
I am not sold he is going to be an out and out star but a 3rd year key forward kicking 30+ goals and is on track for close to 40 this year. They are really solid numbers for a developing tall.

If I had to guess (which I am) I assume our name has been thrown into the McDonald ring by either us, his manager or both to pump up his $$$ value. Either way the chances of getting him would likely be low.

Just say we were to secure McDonald would that spell end of one of Lewis or Chol? You can never have too many KPF but Lewis, Chol, Dear and McDonald feels like one too many.

If I had to guess (which I am) I assume our name has been thrown into the McDonald ring by either us, his manager or both to pump up his $$$ value. Either way the chances of getting him would likely be low.

Just say we were to secure McDonald would that spell end of one of Lewis or Chol? You can never have too many KPF but Lewis, Chol, Dear and McDonald feels like one too many.
You can add Scaife to that list as well.

Most if not all the ITK posters here are in the know with Hawthorn which is not a reliable or knowledgeable organisation on their recruitment targets.

You will have ITKs from 4 clubs thinking a player is coming and all have received information from good sources in clubs.

But unless your Bailey Smith's mum, they don't really know.

I remember I had strong information regarding Tom Lynch yet 3 club were confident they had him secured. The media were on the money stating Richmond but I think they decided before Tom did as he was very open to Collingwood and Hawthorn offers late and even had his manager approach Geelong but they weren't able to arrange a competitive deal. Was very undecided even when many of those clubs were certain they had him or that different rival did.
Correct. Lots of people know people at clubs. Clubs get told what the player and their management want them to think. Reporting that Hawthorn is into a player and is confident is useful information and appreciated, but often several clubs feel the same way based on the representations made to them. Thats the managers doing their job.

You can't rely on Lewis so I'd be seeing what you can get for him (only if we were lucky enough to get McDonald to nominate us though).

Last edited:

A lot of us know who has good info. When they post what they’ve heard we know it’s based on something that they’ve heard from within the industry that they are/were a part of.

There’s also some posters here might look like your every day Joe blow but they’re connected a lot more than they let on.

As an example. If I say something it's 99% based on nothing (I don't know anyone). But if RnL says something you stand up and take notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Word ✅

I find it odd that people take their disappointment out on ITKs. Blame the weatherperson etc.

I also ponder the conflation of information and source and the reductive anger and distrust directed to same. Information is no longer seen as a communal and societal tool - it’s seen as something that immediately arouses suspicion. It’s kind of depressing actually. All sources are equal and therefore meaningless.

Anyway Go Hawks

This thread isn't fun any more.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Go Away Stop GIF by Phantom Thread

Correct. Lots of people know people at clubs. Clubs get told what the player and their management want them to think. Reporting that Hawthorn is into a player and is confident is useful information and appreciated, but often several clubs feel the same way based on the representations made to them. Thats the managers doing their job.

My family were chatting to Hodge's family and they were 100% sure Buddy was staying. And they werent just guessing.

So connected people definitely dont always know everything because (the good) managers play every game imaginable to extract maximum dollars for their players.

Its why those of us who know nothing are happy posting away about our desires while the ITK people dontpost often because they know they have inside info but inside info doesnt always equal the truth.

Its also why people shouldnt get angry at the ITK. We had the entire club, media, and even other clubs sure a couple of GWS players were coming our way then mystically the AFL found a way to keep them at GWS.

Weve also seen a couple of GWS players definitely coming to us but ending up going somewhere else. Thst said, I dont think we have missed any of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back