Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Hawks Insiders Rob McCartney last week said they were looking for a Key Defender, Key Forward & an Outside Midfielder!!
Key Defender - Battle ✅
Key Forward - Scaife ✅
Outside Midfielder - Perryman ✅
I have faith in Rough when it comes to expectations for Battle but I really haven't seen him as a great "key" defender option. At least he isn't proven in that role, and has always played as an ancillary tall.

I have faith in Rough when it comes to expectations for Battle but I really haven't seen him as a great "key" defender option. At least he isn't proven in that role, and has always played as an ancillary tall.
I think he can play as a centre half back but not on the last line, which is probably what we need more of due to Frosty's age and Blanck's knee!

On the Hawks Insiders Rob McCartney last week said they were looking for a Key Defender, Key Forward & an Outside Midfielder!!
Key Defender - Battle ✅
Key Forward - Scaife ✅
Outside Midfielder - Perryman ✅
And we still keep our draft capital ✅
I wonder if us going after Perryman harder is because we're aware that Smith is heading west of west?

I'd much rather us get Smith as an outside mid, but i don't think that's what he's after.

My only concern with the Perryman pursuit is that it likely pushes a young player out of the best 22. Eg McDonald, McKenzie, D'Ambrosio, Jiath or even a Amon or Impey. Then we have to hope they want to stick around to battle for spots rather than just leave for more opportunities.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

For 750-800K, doesn't need to move the needle?
Then we can do just as well with players already on the list.
Perryman wouldn't be a top 100 AFL mid, wing, or backman.
Battle is a top 30 backman who can float forward and is an EXCELLENT mark and damned good disposer of the ball.
That's where I'd spend the cash if you want flexibility.

The same questions would have been raised if we'd offered Massimo D'Ambrosio a similar salary last year. In hindsight, he's now playing like a footballer who demands closer to that amount than what he'd currently be getting.

Need to trust the list management team on this one.

Reading between the lines from his manager Scott Lucas, I think one of the reasons Perryman is considering his options is the appeal of minutes in midfield. Lucas comments in June:

"You probably add that extra layer that Harry was drafted as a midfielder. I think he'd be an extremely talented midfielder. But such is the depth at the Giants, that he plays a critical role for them at half-back. I think that adds to his attraction for clubs ... Harry's an extremely loyal kid. He was in the Academy at the Giants, which is important to note. He's loved his time there. But it's something to work through at the same time."

Would Perryman and Battle ‘complete’ our backline? Possibly. Would allow Weddle/Hardwick/Amon to move up the ground. Perryman can also play on the wing.

Battle can also play up forward if needed.

Not sure I believe the amount we’ve offered Perryman but I can see why we’d want him.

We might still be one elite midfielder away, this could be McKenzie (looking amazing) or even Smith but I’m still iffy on his kicking, doesn’t really fit the mould of player that Sam likes.
Reckon Sam particularly likes good kicking skills, because he was slow as treacle and any turnover would have severely pissed his off 🤣🤣

The same questions would have been raised if we'd offered Massimo D'Ambrosio a similar salary last year. In hindsight, he's now playing like a footballer who demands closer to that amount than what he'd currently be getting.

Need to trust the list management team on this one.

Mass was a projection.
Perryman's game is largely established.
Huuuuuuuuge difference.

I wonder if us going after Perryman harder is because we're aware that Smith is heading west of west?

I'd much rather us get Smith as an outside mid, but i don't think that's what he's after.

Maybe the Perryman push is due to us knowing Battle is staying?

I think we’re keen to add at least 2 players through trade or FA.

On a side note, I can’t wait to see McCabe play, I think he has potential to be a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are pretty blessed with injuries right now.

If Sicily goes in for a shoulder reco, Ginni misses with a cork, Worpel gets a concussion in training.

Breust and Gunston retire or aren't up to standard in 2025. Dear gets second year blues.

That's a more normal state of affairs for most clubs.

The last thing to worry about is guys playing at Box Hill getting poached (which you usually get something back for anyway) at the end of 2025.

Mass was a projection.
Perryman's game is largely established.
Huuuuuuuuge difference.

Even if you consider Perryman to be nothing more than a versatile role player, he's been a versatile role player in a side who has been consistently strong for the majority of his playing career.

He's been a best 22 player and member of the leadership group throughout that period also.

I don't think he'll leave GWS, but the Hawks recruiting team know exactly what they're doing here by trying to poach him.

Interesting that Perryman and Battle get very similar offers. I would have thought Battle was the bigger need but Sam clearly sees an important role for Perryman.

I wonder if we go into this expecting to get just one of them or if they are seriously pushing to bring in both.

Will the AFL step in to keep Perryman at GWS and create yet another $1m a year player there ?
We don’t know the offers. The media throw darts. Managers also use the media to get better deals at their players current club.

Even if you consider Perryman to be nothing more than a versatile role player, he's been a versatile role player in a side who has been consistently strong for the majority of his playing career.

He's been a best 22 player and member of the leadership group throughout that period also.

I don't think he'll leave GWS, but the Hawks recruiting team know exactly what they're doing here by trying to poach him.

Look, not losing my shit if we bring him in, he's not a spud.
Who would you drop from last weeks team to pencil him in as best 22? Is he for sure going forward better than Ward, HH, Bennett, Morrison, Serong, Maginness, Seamus, Bodie, and McCabe? Because that's who's waiting for their chance.
Battle is 1000x for sure better than every one of those players back or forward right now and only McCabe likely/fingers crossed to change that equation. Wouldn't drop anyone from our midfield rotation right now either for Perryman.

Because if it's just as 23-26 best squad player then don't reckon that's the best allocation of funds at that number.
I've been a staunch supporter of Hawthorn decisions, and would remain so, but for all the yakking Big Footy posters did about aquiring Ben Mackay, that as a get made sense to me.
Battle makes sense to me.
Perryman? Ok, but meh for me.

Last edited:
Perryman is a quality HBF and wingman, and is a great user of the ball.

Essentially he would be an upgrade on Morrison and would play a similar role in the side, albeit as a permanent fixture.

He's a quality user, but he is not a run-and-carry kind of wingman or backman (just like Morrison), so it would be interesting to see what the exact role Mitchell has in mind for him is - given we are trying to overlap and run from behind with Impey, Amon, Weddle and the high half forwards pushing right up. I presume he would be playing exclusively on the wing based on the above.

Last edited:
Mentioning this again, Perryman was an outside midfielder in the Coates League and played this HB role for the Allies in the Championships. He was in the Giants academy and Adelaide bid on him at pick 14.

In Coates he got 61 touches across his two games and still off half back in the Championships he accumulated an average of over 16 touches also kicking two goals.

He has always had a good footballing IQ and uses it well. Wouldnt shock me if, like what Tops is mentioning he is looking to play more midfield or forward of the centre where his delivery into 50 could be an asset

Last edited:
We are not going to get all of our draft targets. Looking at variable options and courting certain players gives us scope for contingencies. It makes sense by putting eggs in different baskets all it does is increase the players wages at their own clubs, or competing clubs if we miss them.

We are not going to get all of our draft targets. Looking at variable options and courting certain players gives us scope for contingencies. It makes sense by putting eggs in different baskets all it does is increase the players wages at their own clubs, or competing clubs if we miss them.

Perryman and Battle are F/A if they both choose us we can have them …. Smith is the only one we’re trading for in 2024 that we’re aware off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back