Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

ACL changed everything IMO.
In addition to that, I don't like Smith's ball handling or inconsistent kicking.
For 2x 1st round picks I would want a player to be elite in these fundamentals.

Having said that, he would definitely walk into our team.

Dylan Shiel one example of why we need be cautious

It’s that time. Nick Watson and Calsher dear have both added Josh Battle on instagram in the last week.
Don't ask me how I know this, but Battle's partner and Mitch's wife recently started following each other too.

However, I know a lot of people think this is ridiculous and means nothing. Welcome to 2024!

Ralph’s an idiot - they are different players… McKay got a bigger contract offer because he is a genuine key defender - much harder to find whereas Battle is a 3rd tall swingman hence the offer won’t be as large…
dont be too hard on him...he's trying to figure out how a bloke who is an Unrestricted Free Agent and has been reported as Unrestricted ever since the original list of Free Agents was released early in the season isn't a Restricted Free Agent

Ralph’s an idiot - they are different players… McKay got a bigger contract offer because he is a genuine key defender - much harder to find whereas Battle is a 3rd tall swingman hence the offer won’t be as large…

This is what I thought.. what because we offered one player $850K do we need to offer all players the same.. because it might make the players feel sad if they weren’t offered the same money or something.. FMD…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree there should be no compensation, but this is a good idea to fix it. Compensation picks can't dilute the first round of the draft and can't be allocated within say the first 25 picks of the draft.
Should be standard bands with ladder position only determining order.

Band 1 - End of first
Band 2 - End of second
etc.

E.g. If West Coast and Sydney get Band 1 compo, WC Pick 19 Sydney Pick 20.

Yes and it makes me scared he'll leave... think he plays an important structural role in the team.
Wouldn’t worry about him going anywhere as Mitch made him the footballer he is today.

Yesterday when asked on radio re his contract/any iron in the fire he replied with “Nah, Happy at the Hawks ….. Sam is good for my football”!

Wouldn’t worry about him going anywhere as Mitch made him the footballer he is today.

Yesterday when asked on radio re his contract/any iron in the fire he replied with “Nah, Happy at the Hawks ….. Sam is good for my football”!
Nash and Sam are “very much on the same wave length”

Love that storey when Sam was BH coach and at training Nash was walking towards the forward line group and Sam said along the lines, “Hey where are you going you should be in the midfield group”! 😂
I still think back to hearing that convo when I see Nashy smashing it, really opened my eyes to frustrations around Clarkson

I don't really buy this, people have been super keen up until all the talk started being him going to Geelong. Fact of the matter is he would without a doubt make us better, he would be a walk up best 22 player and is still so young. I guarantee if he ends up a Hawk people will be praising what a great pick up he is.

He would definitely be in the 22 but at what cost? Dogs turned down 2 low firsts last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Thank You Reaction GIF

I hate the concept of a player starting the season at one team in the league and then ending up at another - seems cheap to me. I know most other leagues do it but I like that if you have a player at the start of the year they're yours the whole way through.

How about players can ONLY be asked to be traded to teams in the bottom 4 or 6 at start of BYE.
So a LDU can ask to be traded to Hawthorn for say a Morrison & F2
or
Luke Parker can ask to be traded to North for whatever

On Compo, I think if aim is equalisation, then all Compo needs to start only after non-finals teams have picked.

Band 1 should not be tied to ladder position other than to order multiple Band 1 compos.

All band 1 compos start at Pick 11 ( this means we got that for Buddy)

Band 2 compos should be based on 2nd round pick ladder position in & so on

Last edited:
Love that storey when Sam was BH coach and at training Nash was walking towards the forward line group and Sam said along the lines, “Hey where are you going you should be in the midfield group”! 😂
It's wild looking back on it that he was tried as a forward pocket. His biggest weaknesses are overhead marking/reading packs. But hes a beast and a tackling machine - and very quick with his hands.

Compo has to go. Battle isn't worth a pick that early to anyone.
As a method of equalisation it is good. We lost Buddy for well under fair trade value as we were premiers. Year later Melbourne lost Frawley for well over trade value because they finished 17th. Its not fair as clubs get a leg up not on merit but on handouts but without it you end up with the same teams winning every year. The AFL's goal is 18 premiers in 18 years. StKilda lost battle for nothing and they never ever get back into finals contention. If we got buddy's true worth when he left we'd have had 3-4 undefeated seasons on top of the threepeat.

It's a simple fix, scrap the compo picks in round 1, band 1 should be end of first round.

Noone would care if Battle or Mckay saw the clubs compensated with pick 19.
Well it still sucks when you finish bottom and instead of picks 1 and 19 you end up with 1 (if there's no academy or FS prospect ahead) and 30 like West Coast did last year.

If wages are going up 30%, shouldn’t the threshold for band 1?

Farcical.
No. In the future a rookie trade will get 2 1st round picks as compo, because that will be a standard rookie salary.

As a method of equalisation it is good. We lost Buddy for well under fair trade value as we were premiers. Year later Melbourne lost Frawley for well over trade value because they finished 17th. Its not fair as clubs get a leg up not on merit but on handouts but without it you end up with the same teams winning every year. The AFL's goal is 18 premiers in 18 years. StKilda lost battle for nothing and they never ever get back into finals contention. If we got buddy's true worth when he left we'd have had 3-4 undefeated seasons on top of the threepeat.
Buddy's contract and standing in the game broke the model and the special conditions clause should have been considered.

Buddy got a $9m contract. I think it would still be one of the league's biggest contract if it was offered today - even though it was 11 years ago with a much smaller salary cap.

This was already after the league had done some magic wand waving in 2009 with gold coast to get Ablett - Geelong were given 2x first rounders.

It's wild looking back on it that he was tried as a forward pocket. His biggest weaknesses are overhead marking/reading packs. But hes a beast and a tackling machine - and very quick with his hands.

To be fair plenty here me included would've probably had him off the list at the end of that year.
Speaks to how good Sammy Mitchell is (and how good Nashy is) because I reckon if you'd raised the idea of him being a best 22 mid before it happened you would've been laughed at.

The AFL shouldn't be in the business of trying to artificially create results.

This kind of coaching genius only costs you $1.1M too.

He's one of the great turnaround stories in footy. Bit-part player (played in wrong position) to possibly being delisted and now an integral part of our midfield mix where most supporters are screaming RE-SIGN NOW!
Love the Nash.
And Dylan Moore similar story. Lesson: keep them on their toes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back