Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Never happy with a loss, especially to Geelong, but I have to say I don't feel all that bad about it. All part of the learning curve. We won 5 in a row; we weren't going to keep winning, you have to expect some down sides. It will be interesting to see how we react to it.

There are still some pieces to be added to the team during the off-season. Today proved one thing to me, it's been fun watching our progress, but we are far from a genuine chance at the flag, and our reliance upon Sicily was never more evident than today.

Chin up Hawks fans, onward and upward. The good news is we only have to play at the kennel once.

Just got home from the drive down there. Very solid Hawthorn contingent.

Second to the ball all night, butchered important kicks. Kudos to Geelong; they absolutely monstered us.

I thought the Wizard did well in the first but slipped away. Croc also very good with 8 marks.

Meh, move on to next week.

I was at the ground. It was finals like pressure and we didn't cope. That's the lesson. If you don't match that type of pressure, that's what happens.

We cant cover Sic. Which is fair enough.

SDK jumped all over Meek all night.

Breust and Gunner look done. Give Gunner a rest for now, and only play Breust as a sub.

Moore is a star.

Worpel and Chol in our best. Cmac31 very good.

Down games from Day, Nash, Newcombe.

Unsure what the plan is now that we'll miss finals.
Do we book Sic and Lewis in for surgery?
And send off a couple of Champs in the coming weeks.

The disappointing thing is that we didn't bring our A game. Whether that was because we are a young team or the trip back to Perth I don't know but it would have been good to see where we are at.

We struggle under elite pressure still but we didn't fire back with any of our own unfortunately.

We all looked flat - even Weddle looked lethargic.

Geelong are very well drilled - they outnumbered on the outside all friggen night.

Bruest wanting cheapies over the top instead of leading to the ball (Moore in the 3rd) did my head in.

I think the boys need to be shown some footage of Day flying in at high speed trying to attack/tackle the Cats with little regard to his safety at times. It was like he was trying to bring others with him but they didn’t respond which was disappointing. The Wiz & Moore are excused. Soft effort today Cats wanted it more in the contest and not happy with the coaches tactics at the beginning of the game which basically played into the hands of the opposition set the tone/momentum for the day which we struggled to break.

I reckon my man Scrimmers can hold his head up high along with Moore, Worps and Day and a few others.

We obviously missed Sic (he is after all the best defenders of his generation) but Jack battled manfully all night and his sure hands and disposal skills really stood out on a night when many succumbed to the Geelong pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the ground. It was finals like pressure and we didn't cope. That's the lesson. If you don't match that type of pressure, that's what happens.

Breust and Gunner look done. Give Gunner a rest for now, and only play Breust as a sub.

Moore is a star.

Finals are still in play. Chin up

I think the dimensions and the occasion got the best of the boys early. Not having Sicily to organize was felt hard. I think the defenders regrouped and sorted things a bit but damage was done with no protection from midfield in the first.

And credit to the cats, even as we upped the pressure and intensity to wrestle back play here and there, the cats kept the foot down and never gave an inch.

Contest game needed to be a weapon but it ended up fairly even at best after a bad start. Could not transition on that ground but it was good to get the handball game back a bit after lots of up the line and poorly timed 45 kicks. Cats players in the zone did not lose concentration at all and punished every kick that hung in the air or took a second too long.

Talk about forwards all you want but I50s were 40-63 and that's almost always a thrashing with no chance for any forwards to shine. Except Dylan Moore because he's a ****ing gun. He and MacDonald worked so hard to fix that transition connection and kudos to them.

Sam has talked about wanting to find opportunities for Box Hill guys so this is the week to put the hand up.

Not sure how it looked on the TV but from the ground it was very noticeable how hard Geelong worked to set up quickly when we had the ball as well as to break into space when they had it.

Meant we had no options to give the ball to until they strangled us then able to get free options everywhere.

Cats were finals standard and we were a long way off. At the very least it was a good chance to see where we need to get to.

Honestly, don't get all the Lewis bashing. First game back since round 3. Always going to find it a little hard. Glad he got 2 goals.

The last couple years, he has been an elite tall forward. He could easily win a Coleman if he got a good run at it and is now entering his prime years. Calls for him to be dropped or even traded are baffling.

We cant cover Sic. Which is fair enough

Moore is a star.

we won against a full strength Bulldogs (second half) and Saints without Sicily, and should've beaten Port, so we are not entirely reliant on him

Honestly, don't get all the Lewis bashing. First game back since round 3. Always going to find it a little hard. Glad he got 2 goals.

The last couple years, he has been an elite tall forward. He could easily win a Coleman if he got a good run at it and is now entering his prime years. Calls for him to be dropped or even traded are baffling.
This board loves to overact.

Moore is a star.

Which is why we're after Battle. Our club knows what our list needs and where it is, plans for the rest of the season wont change off the back of this one game.

Moore is a star.

Was at the ground too and reckon you’re spot on.

We also covered Sic with Seamus coming into the backline. We looked so short down back, should’ve been Phillips in.

Midfield was pretty terrible all game, couldn’t stop the ball from going out the back. Forward line were slow and reactive.

So, that's twice they beat us up in the midfield this season. İncredible! We should be absolutely braining them in there every game from this season on, it was the season that I felt we would speed past them but got our arses handed to us.
Also, before the game, I posted my worries, that their frwds are mobile and that would work for them with no Sicily to lead the adjustments needed throughout the game. But again, the mids are a worry for me. Freo will slice us thru the middle of we turn our toes again.

I don't want to hurt feelings here and I know Lewis first game back. But Dear fills me with more confidence then Lewis despite the time off. Dear just works with this team. Not sure Lewis does.
I love Dear, but he would have struggled on a day like today. It was a terrible game for our forwards and Lewis still kicked 2 after taking 2 strong grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back