List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Binns is a 2nd year player & 2nd round pick was easily our best player in the Vfl last year, it is possible later in the season he may get a few games at senior level.

He is 19 and under contract, he will definitely be given the opportunity to develop at Carlton, he won't be delisted this year.

I probably share the view of how differently the Campo twins may be rated if they were not father/son.
Pretty sure most of the injury riddled players will be under pressure to maintain a list spot.
I was a big fan of Binns last year but I am not seeing any improvement in his game this year. A bit like Ramsay who showed plenty but the call was made he wasn't going to take the next step up .

Updated:-

Out of contract end of this year:-

16. Jack Carroll
20. Elijah Hollands
21. Jack Martin
22. Caleb Marchbank
28. David Cuningham
32. Matt Carroll?
Sam Durdin (MSD Rookie 2022)
44. Matthew Owies
45. Alex Mirkov (Rookie)
41. Domanic Akuei (3rd Year Cat B Rookie)

Always some pretty tough decisions when you have a list as good as ours. It's been 30 years since we have seen it, so we have forgotten how this works. This sort of thing happens with top lists all the time.

I think anyone not playing much or any senior football will be under a lot of pressure. Regardless of the reason.

We need to prepare our list so that it is as good as it possible can be for next seasons premiership.

I just feel we have been rebuilding for 25 years, that we are so used to it, we aren't used to just throwing everything at a flag, which is where we will be at for the next 3 seasons or more.

Ask yourself. Is Binns going to edge out Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, Hewett, E Hollands, Docherty, J Carroll, Lord, Camporeale or Camporeale in the middle? Where does he sit in this pecking order?

What about wing? Acres, Hollands, Docherty, Cottrell, Camporeale and Camporeale? E Hollands plays there a little. I reckon there are a few others we could develop or play wing as well. Cerra was seen as a future elite wingman early in his career and Kemp has all the traits.

Billy Wilson is a future star, probably develops as a wingman or onballer next season.

Binns is playing well in the VFL. As I said we have seen Graham, Dow, Ellard etc all dominate VFL footy. It's good for such a young player. But I feel he's going to struggle to get games with us or get close to it. Voss likes his big bodies.

I just don't think his position on our list is safe. I can see other clubs come and ask about his contract and if we want room for players we rate more we will make it.
Not sure l would be rating the Campo twins before him at this time, they are going to take some time to develop.

You cannot possibly compare a 19year old 2nd year player to a mid 20's Graham/Ellard etc.
Binns will be given some time to develop at Carlton.

l believe you are omitting that we have 3-4 players that rarely get on the field, they will be the 1st players in line to be moved on or rookie listed.

Not sure l would be rating the Campo twins before him at this time, they are going to take some time to develop.

You cannot possibly compare a 19year old 2nd year player to a mid 20's Graham/Ellard etc.
Binns will be given some time to develop at Carlton.

l believe you are omitting that we have 3-4 players that rarely get on the field, they will be the 1st players in line to be moved on or rookie listed.
Some will be moved on, some are also important to where we are at a side now we are in our premiership window.

We will trim the injury prone players who aren't close to our 22. Durdin and Cuningham. There are a couple who the coach appears to see as important to our flag tilt in Martin and Marchbank who I doubt will be moved on.

End of the day we don't need them to finish top 4. But we may need them to win the flag. Winning the flag is all we are concerned about at this stage. We aren't going to delist players if we feel they takes us closer to winning a flag. We are going to delist players who won't be involved with that. If those players play 4 or 5 games for the season, and it's finals and they make us 2% better and that's what wins us a premiership, that makes it worth keeping them. We had the same thing in 1995 with Brad Pearce. That could still happen this season. Very happy for Jack Martin to have a Prad Pearce type of career. Just give us a good finals series and help us win a flag.

You want to beat Sydney and teams that level, we will need to be at our absolute best. Some fringe players may need to go regardless of age.

Some will be moved on, some are also important to where we are at a side now we are in our premiership window.

We will trim the injury prone players who aren't close to our 22. Durdin and Cuningham. There are a couple who the coach appears to see as important to our flag tilt in Martin and Marchbank who I doubt will be moved on.

End of the day we don't need them to finish top 4. But we may need them to win the flag. Winning the flag is all we are concerned about at this stage. We aren't going to delist players if we feel they takes us closer to winning a flag. We are going to delist players who won't be involved with that. If those players play 4 or 5 games for the season, and it's finals and they make us 2% better and that's what wins us a premiership, that makes it worth keeping them. We had the same thing in 1995 with Brad Pearce. That could still happen this season. Very happy for Jack Martin to have a Prad Pearce type of career. Just give us a good finals series and help us win a flag.

You want to beat Sydney and teams that level, we will need to be at our absolute best. Some fringe players may need to go regardless of age.
Not when they are contract, makes no sense with a tight cap.

I was a big fan of Binns last year but I am not seeing any improvement in his game this year. A bit like Ramsay who showed plenty but the call was made he wasn't going to take the next step up .
I always thought that Binns was an odd selection when we picked him.

When you go back and look at the vision from the Carlton war room on draft night, you can see that Voss wanted more run in the squad, and we recruited accordingly. Binns at pick 32 obviously fitted the bill.

The issue for me was that we'd just gone out and got Acres from Freo, Ollie with our earlier pick, LOB was still on the list, Doc was playing the wing role when called on, and we have the Campo lads about to walk in the door. It appears Ben in more of an inside mid, but Lucas is a genuine wingman.

I'm a fairly avid VFL watcher, and right now I don't think he's got many AFL qualities and would get swallowed up at the top level. If you're built like a whippet, you should have the leg speed to cover your lack of size - but Binnsy's very one paced - and it aint quick. He's an accumulator, but not damaging.

Having said all that, he's still contracted and only 19yo, so I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon - unless there's a trade request in the pipeline.

I would say they are all in a similar position. I like Binns but he's about to get push even further down. Our list is becoming really strong. I have questions over whether his game will ever translate to AFL in a strong side. Dow was a very good VFL player too and we were happy to let him go. Voss likes his big bodies. You have Camporeale X2 and now Lord in our mix, we are stacked on the wings. I don't see Binns playing AFL football next season unless all hell breaks loose injury wise.
We are definitely stacked on the wings, but I can't see L. Campo being ahead of Binns in the pecking order any time soon. I also think that Binns is being developed into a HF/wing type similar to Cottrell which gives him another avenue into the side outside of being a "pure" winger.

I always thought that Binns was an odd selection when we picked him.

When you go back and look at the vision from the Carlton war room on draft night, you can see that Voss wanted more run in the squad, and we recruited accordingly. Binns at pick 32 obviously fitted the bill.

The issue for me was that we'd just gone out and got Acres from Freo, Ollie with our earlier pick, LOB was still on the list, Doc was playing the wing role when called on, and we have the Campo lads about to walk in the door. It appears Ben in more of an inside mid, but Lucas is a genuine wingman.

I'm a fairly avid VFL watcher, and right now I don't think he's got many AFL qualities and would get swallowed up at the top level. If you're built like a whippet, you should have the leg speed to cover your lack of size - but Binnsy's very one paced - and it aint quick. He's an accumulator, but not damaging.

Having said all that, he's still contracted and only 19yo, so I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon - unless there's a trade request in the pipeline.
They seem to be pushing him inside where he isn't having an impact and not getting the overlap run he was providing last year on the outside. It hasn't been helped by the 2s being a rabble over the first 12 weeks of the season.

They seem to be pushing him inside where he isn't having an impact and not getting the overlap run he was providing last year on the outside. It hasn't been helped by the 2s being a rabble over the first 12 weeks of the season.
It's a fair call, he is playing more inside than last year. Maybe the coaches are looking to compensate his lack of leg speed with more of an inside/outside role - who knows? The issue there is that he doesn't have the body size to compete on the inside.

In a scratch match earlier this year, we played Billy in the guts, and he was easily getting ragdolled at stoppages/centre bounces by VFL listed opposition because of his lack of body size/maturity. The compensating factor for Billy though is that he has speed to burn in the outside role.

As it stands right now, I just don't see it with Binnsy....BUT, I hope to be proven totally wrong and he goes on to play 200 games for us.

It's a fair call, he is playing more inside than last year. Maybe the coaches are looking to compensate his lack of leg speed with more of an inside/outside role - who knows? The issue there is that he doesn't have the body size to compete on the inside.

In a scratch match earlier this year, we played Billy in the guts, and he was easily getting ragdolled at stoppages/centre bounces by VFL listed opposition because of his lack of body size/maturity. The compensating factor for Billy though is that he has speed to burn in the outside role.

As it stands right now, I just don't see it with Binnsy....BUT, I hope to be proven totally wrong and he goes on to play 200 games for us.

I reckon they know Binns can get 30+ every week in a pure wing role in the VFL and are using this year to round out his game. Even if that comes at the expense of his impact to our VFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just me (and it's an opinion forum), but of the OOC players, I'd be happy if we re-signed Elijah Hollands and Matt Owies, trade Jack Carroll (if he wanted more opportunity elsewhere- WC?), and wish everyone else the best....

Edit: And how's that for timing with Lij... LOVE IT.

We are definitely stacked on the wings, but I can't see L. Campo being ahead of Binns in the pecking order any time soon. I also think that Binns is being developed into a HF/wing type similar to Cottrell which gives him another avenue into the side outside of being a "pure" winger.
Would be good development to expand his game as a pure winger.

The Camporeale boys are surprisingly big bodied players. I think they will fit in well here.

This is just me (and it's an opinion forum), but of the OOC players, I'd be happy if we re-signed Elijah Hollands and Matt Owies, trade Jack Carroll (if he wanted more opportunity elsewhere- WC?), and wish everyone else the best....

Edit: And how's that for timing with Lij... LOVE IT.
It is shaping up that way. The ultimate dream would be to somehow get Marchbank and Martin on to the rookie list to utilise their skills at the optimal time. This is unlikely as, surely, someone would draft them with earlier picks.

We look like having Boyd upgraded. With the chance of moving Mirkov, Durdin and M.Carroll off. Four spots reduced to three with the addition of Lord. Matt Duffy will require a spot, but that may be available on the Cat B list if some posters are reading it right (once was a rule that could have only one Cat B Irish)

So potentially three spots to fill, giving scope to move main list players to the rookie list and still have a live pick.

Ed Richards (16)
Oscar Allen (21)
Tim Kelly (24)
Liam Ryan (26)
Sam Taylor (28) were my faves after the O'Brien pick

I remember we were big on Ed Richards at the time. Looks like he might be finally breaking through after looking ordinary for a long time.

Not quite as bad as taking Milera in front of Curnow or Weid in front of McKay or Spargo in front of TDK.... you can play this game both ways.

‘Natural selections’ is pretty misleading. Where did those picks actually fall?

And what he did with 5 out of the 6 you call ‘trade bait’ was pretty incredible.

It’s curious that not so many list managers have managed to build elite cores.

Try to fit the GC selections over the same period into a post - it will break Bigfooty.

I can’t support most of your assertions from earlier and this post. Young and Binns are both contracted until 2026. The only way they leave is by trade.

While Young has been disappointing, he is more value on the list than what he would provide in trade collateral. If he were to go, it would be for a token pick if we were to shop him. Different story if someone comes with a second rounder on offer.
He is at very worst a capable “break glass” KPD who can also play ruck or forward if necessary.

The future of Marchbank is unclear. We have to find a minimum of three main list spots and he is in the firing line. We can talk of putting him on the rookie list, which would be a great outcome. The reality is that he remains highly rated by many, we would have to delist and rely on him being passed over by multiple clubs to enable us to take him back as a rookie. The chances of that coming off are minuscule.

There is no way we are parting with all of Akuei, Durdin, Marchbank and Young in one off season. That would leave only potential swingman Lemmey and a returning Silvagni as possible back up to our three first picked talls. While a fit Marchy is light years ahead, we have had little return for the past four years. If he plays out the remainder of the season there is a case, but is anyone confident of that? Durdin is in similar territory, he needs to play out the season to be considered a chance of retention. (That would probably be delist and re-rookie). I don’t think anyone believes Akuei will get an essential upgrade from the Category B rookie list.

Ideally we retain at least two of Young, Marchbank and Durdin. It is becoming somewhat urgent to draft a developing key defensive tall or trade in a (semi) developed/developing kid who I can’t see on the horizon. It may be prudent to grab someone as a rookie project prior to looking at the draft proper next year. It would be sensible to have a better option developing before Young comes out of contract.

The one you touched on that I agree with is Binns. Certainly will not be delisted as is a promising player we have seen fit to contract until the end of 2026. He is not getting a game ahead of Blacres or Ollie, and likely if one of them was out Cotts, Doc or a couple of other options would be preferred. Binns is prolific, but doesn’t run patterns comparable to our senior guns and his disposal is inconsistent. I do believe he should be schooled as a small forward option to give him an avenue to the top team.

If Binns finishes the VFL season strongly again, it is feasible his management could seek a trade for more opportunity. While he obviously resigned cheaply to be extended so far, list spots are incredibly tight, if Jaxon was to move on, it would save parting with another of his team mates.

Unless we have a left field trade, as it sits three of Owies, Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham and J.Carroll must be moved on, as the remaining off contract players. (We do have the scope to adjust the ratio of main list to rookie players by up to two if we are desperate for a spot or two, but that will just delay the pain by a season) Arguments could be put that each of the our of contract players is more likely to contribute to team success than Binnsy, so there is merit in his name being raised.

Agree there's no chance we're delisting guys with years on their contracts. We did pay out LOB but he was already on a rookie contract so would have been very minimal $.

The issue is list spots. The obvious delistings are rookie listed.

We're going to have to drop one or two back to the rookie list. Fair to say there's no rival interest in Young so he'd be an obvious one to push from the main list to rookie.

I could see us trading J Carroll to WC if they offered something of value. I hope we keep him though - he's going really well for 21.

I hope we can keep Martin but if he gets longer contract offers elsewhere he could choose to leave.

Pitto could request a trade.

Cunningham almost certainly delisted. Akuei, S Durdin & Mirkov all gone. Marchbank could be delisted or at least dropped back to the rookie list.

Unless there are trades we're going to have to push Young and someone else to the rookie list to fit 2x Campos, on more draftee and a trade target onto the list (given we were after Hayward it seems we'll bring in someone). We've also got this huge push into Ireland so I'd expect Duffy and one other.

Updated:-

Out of contract end of this year:-

16. Jack Carroll
20. Elijah Hollands
21. Jack Martin
22. Caleb Marchbank
28. David Cuningham
32. Matt Carroll?
Sam Durdin (MSD Rookie 2022)
44. Matthew Owies
45. Alex Mirkov (Rookie)
41. Domanic Akuei (3rd Year Cat B Rookie)

Hollands/Owies maybe Carrol the rest thank you for your service.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember we were big on Ed Richards at the time. Looks like he might be finally breaking through after looking ordinary for a long time.

Not quite as bad as taking Milera in front of Curnow or Weid in front of McKay or Spargo in front of TDK.... you can play this game both ways.
Yes you can but SOS wins I think. After the bumper selections at the start of 2015, he appears to have peaked. (The silly ü thing, a u with an umlaut, is meant to be a tick, sorry)

23David CuninghamJosh Dunkley (25)
Jordan Dawson (56)
53Jack SilvagniJordan Dawson (56)
Rookie
1Jesse Glass-McCaskerTom Papley (14)
19Andrew GallucciAnthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (22)
Dan Houston (45)
37Matthew KorcheckDan Houston (45)
6Sam Petrevski-SetonJy Simpkin (12)
27Zac FisherShai Bolton (29)
Tom Stewart (40)
47Harrison MacreadieDarcy Cameron (48)
Jack Graham (53)
Nick Larkey (73)
59Cameron PolsonLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
61Tom WilliamsonLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
65Pat KerrLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
Rookie
5Kym LeBoisTyson Stengle (6)
Rowan Marshall (10)
Cameron Zurhaar (11)
Jack Henry (16)
23Alex SilvagniZach Guthrie (33)
Oscar McInerney (37)
3Paddy DowLDU (4)
Adam Cerra (5)
Aaron Naughton (9)
10Lachie O'BrienEd Richards (16)
Oscar Allen (21)
Tim Kelly (24)
Liam Ryan (26)
Sam Taylor (28)
30Tom De Koningü
70Angus SchumacherSam Switkowski (73)
78Jarrod GarlettLast pick in the draft
Rookie
3Matt ShawBailey Banfield (5)
Liam Baker (18)
Brody Mihocek (22)
Joel Amartey (28)
1Sam Walshü
19Liam StockerJames Rowbottom (25)
66Finbar O'DwyerToby Bedford (75)
70Ben SilvagniToby Bedford (75)
Rookie
1Hugh GoddardCallum Wilkie (3)
19Tomas BuggJordon Butts (39)
17Brodie KempSam De Koning (19)
Harrison Jones (30)
Chad Warner (39)
20Sam PhilpHarrison Jones (30)
Chad Warner (39)
47Sam RamsayJake Riccardi (51)
Michael Frederick (61)
Rookie
3Josh HoneyBen Keays (7)
Brad Close (14)
Mid Year
1Josh DelucaWill Snelling (7)
Marlion Pickett (13)
John Noble (14)

Yes you can but SOS wins I think. After the bumper selections at the start of 2015, he appears to have peaked. (The silly ü thing, a u with an umlaut, is meant to be a tick, sorry)

Jordan Dawson (56)
Rookie
Dan Houston (45)
Tom Stewart (40)
Jack Graham (53)
Nick Larkey (73)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
65Pat KerrLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
Rookie
Rowan Marshall (10)
Cameron Zurhaar (11)
Jack Henry (16)
Oscar McInerney (37)
3Paddy DowLDU (4)
Adam Cerra (5)
Aaron Naughton (9)
Oscar Allen (21)
Tim Kelly (24)
Liam Ryan (26)
Sam Taylor (28)
30Tom De Koningü
Rookie
Liam Baker (18)
Brody Mihocek (22)
Joel Amartey (28)
1Sam Walshü
Rookie
Harrison Jones (30)
Chad Warner (39)
Chad Warner (39)
Michael Frederick (61)
Rookie
3Josh HoneyBen Keays (7)
Brad Close (14)
Mid Year
Marlion Pickett (13)
John Noble (14)

I think at a bare minimum you've got to look at the picks taken immediately around the player.
Saying Cunningham was a bad pick at 19 because Dawson was still there at 57 is not all that fair. The take-away there is it was a pretty shallow draft.

Jordan Dawson (56)
Rookie
Dan Houston (45)
Tom Stewart (40)
Jack Graham (53)
Nick Larkey (73)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
65Pat KerrLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
Rookie
Rowan Marshall (10)
Cameron Zurhaar (11)
Jack Henry (16)
Oscar McInerney (37)
3Paddy DowLDU (4)
Adam Cerra (5)
Aaron Naughton (9)
Oscar Allen (21)
Tim Kelly (24)
Liam Ryan (26)
Sam Taylor (28)
30Tom De Koningü
Rookie
Liam Baker (18)
Brody Mihocek (22)
Joel Amartey (28)
1Sam Walshü
Rookie
Harrison Jones (30)
Chad Warner (39)
Chad Warner (39)
Michael Frederick (61)
Rookie
3Josh HoneyBen Keays (7)
Brad Close (14)
Mid Year
Marlion Pickett (13)
John Noble (14)
2019 surely is splitting 11 and not taking Flanders. But I’m happy with kemp btw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back