16. Jack Carroll
21. Jack Martin
22. Caleb Marchbank
28. David Cuningham
32. Matt Carroll?
Sam Durdin (MSD Rookie 2022)
44. Matthew Owies
45. Alex Mirkov (Rookie)
41. Domanic Akuei (3rd Year Cat B Rookie)
Maybe you should keep posting them Aph, and we'll keep resigning them :thumbsu::cool:

Just on a general note, it's probably fortuitous that all 3 of our injury prone players are OOC in the one year so we can make decisions on each of them. IMO, the only one I'd be offering a contract to is Jack Martin - such a damaging player the times he's in our starting line up. Take the chance with him while we're in the premiership window.

Of the others, maybe Jack Carroll - although you'd imagine there may be a trade back to WA on the cards. We may need extra draft picks through trading to match the Campo bids - who knows at this stage?

I'd also look to potentially re-rookie Matt Owies at this stage of his career....he'll be 28yo going into next season, so a rookie contract could see him through to 31yo, depending on list balance and form.

Boyd onto the senior list…

Put Fantasia onto the rookie list, open up a senior list spot if required…

Jack Carroll possibly traded for draft purposes or trade target…

Matt Carroll develops on our reserves list, chance to rerookie…

Matt Duffy onto the rookie list…

Martin Marchbank Cuningham i would move on from, can see club trying to keep Martin if his body somehow stands up in the remainder of the season…

Akuie Mirkov Durdin moved on…

Last edited:
Maybe you should keep posting them Aph, and we'll keep resigning them :thumbsu::cool:

Just on a general note, it's probably fortuitous that all 3 of our injury prone players are OOC in the one year so we can make decisions on each of them. IMO, the only one I'd be offering a contract to is Jack Martin - such a damaging player the times he's in our starting line up. Take the chance with him while we're in the premiership window.

Of the others, maybe Jack Carroll - although you'd imagine there may be a trade back to WA on the cards. We may need extra draft picks through trading to match the Campo bids - who knows at this stage?

I'd also look to potentially re-rookie Matt Owies at this stage of his career....he'll be 28yo going into next season, so a rookie contract could see him through to 31yo, depending on list balance and form.

I think with all of Martin/Cunners/Marchbank, we'd be willing to keep them but only on our terms - as in a short term contract on a pretty low dollars heavily performance based. Whether those 3 guys would accept that or might want to look elsewhere is then up to them.
  • Especially as we are in our premiership window, Martin can be game-changing to our forward line when fit so think we at least offer him a contract.
  • Marchbank is also likely going to be retained as we have very few back up tall defender options.
  • Cunners is a tough one...I still really like him as a player and his skillset. E Hollands' form though has put him above in a similar position and arguably Cottrell and even the emergence of Cincotta, plus incoming Camporeale's, could see him become surplus and not worth the list spot anymore with his injuries. I'd be fine offering him a 1 year deal though.
  • Carroll just hasn't taken the next step to be a regular contributor at AFL level...tbh seems a bit limited. I'd be ok with trading him.

No.
Owies has trade value, and other clubs would offer him more than a rookie spot. If we cut him he walks to a better offer. We keep him or trade him.
Also, reckon he’s been in career best form the last 6 or so weeks. Seems to have added some small-forward-required strings to his bow (better tackling, pressure, crumbing).

If we want to move a player from the senior list to the rookie list, then Fantasia is the one.
Contracted on a low amount for another year. If a club decided to poach him, which is pretty unlikely, we’d pocket a salary cap saving.

I think with all of Martin/Cunners/Marchbank, we'd be willing to keep them but only on our terms - as in a short term contract on a pretty low dollars heavily performance based. Whether those 3 guys would accept that or might want to look elsewhere is then up to them.
  • Especially as we are in our premiership window, Martin can be game-changing to our forward line when fit so think we at least offer him a contract.
  • Marchbank is also likely going to be retained as we have very few back up tall defender options.
  • Cunners is a tough one...I still really like him as a player and his skillset. E Hollands' form though has put him above in a similar position and arguably Cottrell and even the emergence of Cincotta, plus incoming Camporeale's, could see him
On an individual level, all 3 are worth the risk.
All are best 23 by talent, provide something different to our team (you could maybe argue that Kemp can cover Marchy, but certainly none of our depth options can).

The problem is that the risk is compounded by holding all 3 on the list.

And, we’re short list spots.
Assuming we keep the same list structure, we need to create 3 senior list spots at an absolute minimum (both due to rules, but also Boyd + 2 Campos), but more realistically 4 to 5 and maybe even 6 spots.

So those guys are up against it.
Not saying they’ll all go, but you’d have to think likely 2 will.

The fact that Owies is yet to sign suggests he and the club are a bit apart on $’s. He is older than most of our small forwards (other than Fanta on minimum chips) and is probably after a better payday. Would have been on basic money throughout his career.

Regularly kicking multiple goals and probably thinks he needs to get a pay day. Suspect he is testing the market while we are perhaps waiting to see how our perennial injured guys finish off the season.

Hard to imagine him in another jumper…

The fact that Owies is yet to sign suggests he and the club are a bit apart on $’s. He is older than most of our small forwards (other than Fanta on minimum chips) and is probably after a better payday. Would have been on basic money throughout his career.

Regularly kicking multiple goals and probably thinks he needs to get a pay day. Suspect he is testing the market while we are perhaps waiting to see how our perennial injured guys finish off the season.

Hard to imagine him in another jumper…

Could be, but I’m not so sure that that would be the reason.
I reckon it’s probably more to do with club priorities, and how we had him ranked prior to the start of the year.

When you consider the order of our re-signings of players coming out of contract this year, perhaps only Durdin (who is 5 years younger than Owies, and I’d say more talented) would be less predictable. Now we’re down to only 5 uncontracted senior list players, and you’d have to think that prior to his latest setback, that Martin would be considered way more important. Think about his impact in the back half of last year, and compare that to Owies getting dropped after 2 poor finals.

We had a fair crack at Hayward too, so I’m not surprised that we haven’t re-signed him yet.

16. Jack Carroll
21. Jack Martin
22. Caleb Marchbank
28. David Cuningham
32. Matt Carroll?
Sam Durdin (MSD Rookie 2022)
44. Matthew Owies
45. Alex Mirkov (Rookie)
41. Domanic Akuei (3rd Year Cat B Rookie)

For me it's keep Owies, Matt Carroll, Jack Carrol (but let him decide if he wants to chase opportunity elsewhere).

Leaves us light for defensive depth but the best attributes a second defender can have is availablity.

Wouldn't be averse to getting ahead of campo picks by trading our first for a tall or trying to rebuilt Lemmy into that

1 Ben Ainsworth thank you. Slots straight into Orazio's spot as that high half forward

1 Ben Ainsworth thank you. Slots straight into Orazio's spot as that high half forward
Nup. Always liked Ainsworth and he is a very good role player. Carlton barracked as a kid and shaped like a star as a junior.

Free agent, but will cost a huge premium in a bidding war IF he wants to leave.

The draft is our friend. PLENTY of good small and medium forward prospects this year and next. Plenty of “hyped” kids this year and some IMO equally good ones without the same press. “Fell in love” with Wesley Walley the under ager for WA today. Only played limited minutes, but hit the scoreboard. Oozed class and haven’t seen a smoother mover for a while.

Our current options still have plenty of upside and there is no hurry to add to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nup. Always liked Ainsworth and he is a very good role player. Carlton barracked as a kid and shaped like a star as a junior.

The draft is our friend. PLENTY of good small and medium forward prospects this year and next. Plenty of “hyped” kids this year and some IMO equally good ones without the same press. “Fell in love” with Wesley Walley the under ager for WA today. Only played limited minutes, but hit the scoreboard. Oozed class and haven’t seen a smoother mover for a while.

Our current options still have plenty of upside and there is no hurry to add to them.

He was a Richmond supporter growing up. He hated Carlton.

I agree with hitting the draft given our current list situation, TDK breaking out means a top end recruit is out of the question. Ainsworth is mid tier option imo, might get huge bids from * or something but for 600k I'd take him (which is what I think he's worth). If he's chasing cash he can go elsewhere.

Travaglia and Berry excite me plenty from a draft perspective, a few others too but not sure if theyd be possible with the Campo bids.

Not official, but they said on Foxtel that Stengel has re-signed with the Cats
Tomorrow's Herald Sun says
Not official, but they said on Foxtel that Stengel has re-signed with the Cats
From tomorrow's Herald Sun -

"Geelong premiership goal kicker Tyson Stengle will stay with the Cats after turning down significant interest from St Kilda.

Stengle has told both clubs he will remain in blue and white, helping repay the Cats for reviving his AFL career.
St Kilda this year showed major interest in Stengle, 25, in a bid to lure him to Moorabbin as a free agent for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back