List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually not that hard these days. The issue is the quality and being good at our selection.

We now have Drafts, FA, Trades, SSP, Rookies, Academies, Overseas etc

We will most likely now be able to trade picks up to two years

The way things are going the Campo kids won't cost a lot. A heap on bundle up late picks. We will most likely keep our forst round pick. We will also chase a FA or two and as last few years have shown we can tarde late picks for quality like we did with Hollands and Acres

So many scenarios to play out and many options. Making 8-10 changes is very possible

IMO we need 5-6 readymade players supported by 3-4 kids

They key (which isn't discussed much) is how quickly Wilson, Binns, Ollie, Lemmey, O'Keefe, Lord, Moir can develop and step up. That will make as big a difference to us as anything else PLUS the return of Docherty & Jack
Wilson and Lemmey are developing OK arent they? I'm hoping Wilson can get a crack next year. What I've seen of him is that he's a good decision maker with good disposal. Something we need badly.

Totally agree with all of that.

I'm glad big Nigel got his opportunity last weekend, but going down in the first quarter with yet another soft tissue injury when you've played 1 game in 2 years and out of contract puts you straight in the cross-hairs. Can't see either him or Marchy surviving the cut....a contracted Young becomes the back up option. Even if he requests a trade, we've got all all the aces to either negotiate a hard deal, or hang onto him.

And as much as some people are suggesting to re-rookie Martin for a year, if he got an offer for 2 years on a senior list with someone like a Freo, he'd be crazy not to accept it. Fantasia is the one I'd be looking to re-rookie if he agrees to it, or even possibly Cunners.

And contrary to popular opinion, if we got a decent trade offer for Owies, I'd do it in a heartbeat - especially if it gets us extra draft capital for a trade deal, or to potentially move up the draft board. Personally, I'd like to think we're in the market for a Konstanty or Stone to boost our forward stocks with younger talent. If Owies were to depart, it would potentially leave us with small/mid forward options of Motlop, Fogarty, Durdin, Fantasia, Martin, Moir, Williams, JSOS and Elijah....as well as a Konstanty/Stone.
The only worry I have with Kanstanty/Stone type pickups are they are probably going to be $1m gambles. We would have to be very sure about them.

TBH, those that aren't getting a game, or developing as hoped, whether they are rookies or older players is not really the point. The issue I have is players that have been on the list a long time and offering very little. I'd rather take a punt on 8 or 10 new young blokes who may develop in 12 months over someone who been on the list for years and offering nothing.
That would be a rebuild and I don't think we are in a position where that is necessary since we have just gone through one and are in a top 4 position and should be again next season. Problem with doing that is you bring in 8-10 players you would not want to play at AFL level for 1-3 years or more. You are not going to get a look in at the flag if you do this.

Recruitment wise we need balance, bring in some good youth and some good mature aged players who can make an immediate impact in the senior side.

Let's work through this scenario for the sake of argument/I'm bored. That gives us 4 senior spots and 4 rookie spots.

4 senior spots:
  • 3 would go to draftees (first rounder plus Campo twins)
  • 1 remaining to fill a list need
  • Potential need to upgrade Boyd to the senior list - not sure on rules yet (thanks AFL lmao)

4 rookie spots:
  • Offer Jack Martin a rookie spot if his body holds up for the rest of the season/finals
  • Matt Duffy takes another spot
  • 2 remaining spots to take a risk on a kid or DFA/SSP

On that face of it, I would like to open up at least one more senior spot to chase other OOC for list needs. We could do this by trading J. Carroll/C. Durdin or delisting Fantasia. Trading draft capital is a concern as we don't have much. The names I'm looking at are below, one from each group would be ideal:

Mid
Riley Garcia

Forwards
Jacob Konstanty
Conor Stone
Bailey Banfield

KPDs
Dougal Howard
Harry Edwards
Adam Tomlinson
Jake Kolodjashnij
Mark Keane
This is good.

How likely is it that Jack Martin becomes more robust? Imo we really need to move these types on. Itā€™s effecting us pretty badly as we can see our situation right now.

CARLTON has signed rookie recruit Cooper Lord to a new contract for next season, making the young midfielder the first mid-season pick-up to earn an extension following May's draft.

That was last week ā€¦

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie McCartin is an option this draft i believe.

Just on McCartin, apparently Sydney have brought him into their VFL side this weekend..not a bad thing, we get to see how he goes at a much higher level of football than Lorne, but we are definitely fighting with Sydney if we want him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interesting, at the end of Gettable, Twomey mentioned Binns as someone that, despite being contracted, clubs could be looking at.
mmmm. that would be poor management.
****ing hell, just give him a few games, we have a season long underperforming kid that's replaceable.

What have we got to lose, worse case scenario would be that his output is similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are already cutting all those guys then serious questions need to be asked of the scouting and recruiting team.

Not really, Binns was a pick in the 30s, Moir i think 28 and Lemmey in the 50s, Emmett was picked off the back of some serious questions regarding his personal life and mental capacity, it was a speculative pick, Moir was somewhat similar, very highly rated his underage year and then fell off a cliff application and work ethic wise, i think Austin has taken two pretty risky picks here, looking for a star.

The only worry I have with Kanstanty/Stone type pickups are they are probably going to be $1m gambles. We would have to be very sure about them.

Why would Konstanty, who hasnā€™t managed a game at Sydney and would be leaving for opportunity be a $1M gamble?

If you are alluding to they will probably need a 3 year offer at around $300,000 to beat rival offers, then i see your point, but this would be the same as any kid you trade for who isnā€™t getting the opportunities they want

Sorry Bletch, clubs can only have one Irish cat B rookie at a time, other ones have to be cat A.

We went through this last year. The AFL website is years out of date. I'll dig up the detail later, gotta go get a root canal seen to now :( But if you want to check in the meantime, look up the AFL rules (Google: AFL Rules 2023 pdf)

mmmm. that would be poor management.
****ing hell, just give him a few games, we have a season long underperforming kid that's replaceable.

What have we got to lose, worse case scenario would be that his output is similar?

Re. Binns - tend to agree on giving him a go

Kid must have some considerable tenacity and drive to be getting in so much action, and, can kick a goal.

I hope the LM & MC team/s are smart enough not to cancel a guy out by assuming about so-called traits (supposedly not) suiting AFL level, without giving it a try

Lots of surprise successes come to mind with guys who were supposedly too short, too slow etc but sometimes they just have it

Is that worth 1-2 games?

IMO the same stands for considering having a look at Lemmey, OKeefe, Moir, M Carroll etc. (if/when the time is right)
*noting: fringe/role players area, this is

Re. Binns - tend to agree on giving him a go

Kid must have some considerable tenacity and drive to be getting in so much action, and, can kick a goal.

I hope the LM & MC team/s are smart enough not to cancel a guy out by assuming about so-called traits (supposedly not) suiting AFL level, without giving it a try

Lots of surprise successes come to mind with guys who were supposedly too short, too slow etc but sometimes they just have it

Is that worth 1-2 games?

IMO the same stands for considering having a look at Lemmey, OKeefe, Moir, M Carroll etc. (if/when the time is right)
*noting: fringe/role players area, this is
It rewards and provides incentive.
I wouldn't manage Acres with Binns, but replacing Ollie wouldn't be a huge risk.(Acres + a Walsh/Cunners combination would be our strongest combo.)

We went through this last year. The AFL website is years out of date. I'll dig up the detail later, gotta go get a root canal seen to now :( But if you want to check in the meantime, look up the AFL rules (Google: AFL Rules 2023 pdf)

I just had a long look and it appears, as you said, that there is no restriction on nationality, it just mentions that you can have max two players on the CAT B list.

Good work.

Why would Konstanty, who hasnā€™t managed a game at Sydney and would be leaving for opportunity be a $1M gamble?

If you are alluding to they will probably need a 3 year offer at around $300,000 to beat rival offers, then i see your point, but this would be the same as any kid you trade for who isnā€™t getting the opportunities they want
Yeh thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m alluding to. Iā€™d be happy if we took these types but they arenā€™t really cheap if the cap is tight. They still carry abit of risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back