List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I’m saying about bringing Ryan in, not keeping Gunston. He wanted out, fair enough, but just trade him out, not for some bog average park player who is now occupying a list spot for 3 years.

A bit like Fullerton at Melbourne. Don’t bring in guys when no one rates them which it’s pretty evident we don’t with Ryan.
The club did rate him.

Not sure whether he's not come on as hoped or the role hasn't worked yet, but the club absolutely was keen on him as a prospect and was chuffed at being able to extract him in the Gunston trade.

The club did rate him.

Not sure whether he's not come on as hoped or the role hasn't worked yet, but the club absolutely was keen on him as a prospect and was chuffed at being able to extract him in the Gunston trade.

Also probably didn't factor in Logan Morris being the future 🐐.

The club did rate him.

Brandon to my eyes looks way too slow to be a decent AFL level footballer, he has the turning circle of the Titanic.

Yeah, I’m saying about bringing Ryan in, not keeping Gunston. He wanted out, fair enough, but just trade him out, not for some bog average park player who is now occupying a list spot for 3 years.

A bit like Fullerton at Melbourne. Don’t bring in guys when no one rates them which it’s pretty evident we don’t with Ryan.

He's 200cm/91kg. I'd ask him to stack up as much weight as possible this off season so he can be either a depth KPD or ruck. It doesn't hurt if he's needed in forward line either at some point. But attempting to be third tall with similar lanky build of Daniher and Hipwood is not going to help him establish himself. Morris has it down pat already and I believe Morris will also be trying to build some muscle this off season to become that bigger frame forward.

Also probably didn't factor in Logan Morris being the future 🐐.
He also wasn't on our list at the time.

Trade period was pre-draft, we needed KPF depth, and yeah, we felt Ryan was a decent prospect with a mature body.

Then we ended up having the cards fall for us in the draft and loaded up on talls, and when we actually need to call on our KPF depth for the first time in a while one of those came in in his first year and basically made himself indispensable. It's a bit like complaining that you've been saving for a rainy day and then happen to win the lottery on your way to spend your savings. :D

If we don’t win a final do we still hang onto Lester and Zorko?

Yes, Zorko has been a godsend in a season where our backline depth has been tested. When Kiddy comes back, fully expect Zorko to make his way back to the forward line and still kick goals better than half the team.

Lester is a known commodity and will be kept for another year. He's the only tall back that can stay on the park this year.

I think we are lacking pace through the midfield, none of our midfield regulars are noted speed demons and neither are Levi Ashcroft or Sam Marshall, not sure on Daniel Annable's pace or lack thereof.

I can not see a solution to it over the next few years.

Problem isn't the midfield this year, it's been the goal kicking. Cost us early in the year, costing us the past two games. When you're missing directly in front, you're giving up games.

I think we are lacking pace through the midfield, none of our midfield regulars are noted speed demons and neither are Levi Ashcroft or Sam Marshall, not sure on Daniel Annable's pace or lack thereof.

I can not see a solution to it over the next few years.

If we have the right number of defensive mids in the middle, pace may not be that big a factor in my view.

Berry / Dunkley stopped Butters and Horn-Francis when we had that big game against Port. I understand the eagerness to give Ashcroft his midfield minutes but we're having too many ball winning, silky players in the middle now. Ashcroft, Neale, McCluggage is too many of the same type, none of them provide the defensive grunt of Berry and Dunkley.

Berry should've played on Tom Greene last round. Similarly Berry should've played inside against Collingwood this round. We keep screwing around with trying to fit all the silky players in the middle - we will get our asses handed to us every single round.

Whoever in matchday tactics is deciding McCluggage + Ashcroft is our formula for success needs to be shown how Berry was crucial to us during the 9 game run. We had our best game with Berry doing defensive work on port mids.

1724019810908.png

Yes, Zorko has been a godsend in a season where our backline depth has been tested. When Kiddy comes back, fully expect Zorko to make his way back to the forward line and still kick goals better than half the team.

Lester is a known commodity and will be kept for another year. He's the only tall back that can stay on the park this year.

Problem isn't the midfield this year, it's been the goal kicking. Cost us early in the year, costing us the past two games. When you're missing directly in front, you're giving up games.

Zorko is possibly our worst set shot

Brandon to my eyes looks way too slow to be a decent AFL level footballer, he has the turning circle of the Titanic.
I mean he never played TAC footy, literally was playing park footy, was picked up by Preston in the VFL, then Hawks plucked him from the MSD in one season and now he's with us. I watch all reserves games and a lot of QAFL and there are deadset better players in the QAFL. He's slow and as you said, can barely turn with any pace. Just delist and cut our losses.

If we have the right number of defensive mids in the middle, pace may not be that big a factor in my view.

Berry / Dunkley stopped Butters and Horn-Francis when we had that big game against Port. I understand the eagerness to give Ashcroft his midfield minutes but we're having too many ball winning, silky players in the middle now. Ashcroft, Neale, McCluggage is too many of the same type, none of them provide the defensive grunt of Berry and Dunkley.

Berry should've played on Tom Greene last round. Similarly Berry should've played inside against Collingwood this round. We keep screwing around with trying to fit all the silky players in the middle - we will get our asses handed to us every single round.

Whoever in matchday tactics is deciding McCluggage + Ashcroft is our formula for success needs to be shown how Berry was crucial to us during the 9 game run. We had our best game with Berry doing defensive work on port mids.

View attachment 2084284

I wonder if we might be saving this for finals. We know it works, why not try other things as well?

I wonder if we might be saving this for finals. We know it works, why not try other things as well?

I thought so too but the fact that we didn't revert to this when Giants got on a roll makes me think this is not a preferred method anymore. This is like if one of Neale-McCluggage-Ashcroft are unavailable for some reason then Berry may get a look in.

We didn't use it when Top 4 was on the line, so I'm not sure what better time to use it. I feel they are not even looking at it seriously as an option anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought so too but the fact that we didn't revert to this when Giants got on a roll makes me think this is not a preferred method anymore. This is like if one of Neale-McCluggage-Ashcroft are unavailable for some reason then Berry may get a look in.

We didn't use it when Top 4 was on the line, so I'm not sure what better time to use it. I feel they are not even looking at it seriously as an option anymore.
To me this is a massive concern about our coaching staff. They've been excellent with player development, but on gameday, If they can't see what's working and stay with it, you have to question whether they're tactically flexible enough to win a flag.

View attachment 2084284

We were utterly dominant in the middle when Bez was actually on the field playing wing on saturday. After he got subbed we started struggling, not leaving us with the option of throwing him in there.

I actually think Bez as an inside mid was a bit overrated earlier this year. The first half on Bont was awesome, as was his half against Clayton Oliver in the 2022 semi final. But while playing more midfield is good for Bez's numbers, he's not a great user of the footy and Clug and Ashcroft are more damaging.

Bez playing a heap of minutes as an inside mid with Dunkley didn't stop the hawks mids from curb-stomping us before the bye.

We were utterly dominant in the middle when Bez was actually on the field playing wing on saturday. After he got subbed we started struggling, not leaving us with the option of throwing him in there.

I actually think Bez as an inside mid was a bit overrated earlier this year. The first half on Bont was awesome, as was his half against Clayton Oliver in the 2022 semi final. But while playing more midfield is good for Bez's numbers, he's not a great user of the footy and Clug and Ashcroft are more damaging.

Bez playing a heap of minutes as an inside mid with Dunkley didn't stop the hawks mids from curb-stomping us before the bye.

Hawks are playing a model or style that we haven't found easy to counter yet. It was Berry's second game with some serious midfield minutes and I'm sure it'll have a different outcome if he goes H2H against a solo opponent like Newcombe or Day with more preparation.

Berry forced Bont to be played forward, Berry played an excellent game against Butters. For whatever reason once Ashcroft returned, we bumped him off and we never gave him a solid look in since then. Berry would've been my preferred candidate to stop Tom Greene.

I'd say McCluggage midfield minutes are overrated and the moment there is a change of momentum both Hugh and Neale would be all at sea as single minded defending isn't a natural to either of them. I'd cut Ashcroft some slack as he's barely back from ACL but between the other two - we are not getting what we need in terms of stopping opposition momentum.

View attachment 2084284
There was a bounce on the weekend where our mids were Neale, Clugg and Bailey. 100% Need to have on of either Bez or Dunkley in every CB IMO.

There was a bounce on the weekend where our mids were Neale, Clugg and Bailey. 100% Need to have on of either Bez or Dunkley in every CB IMO.

That's one way to lose a CB without even trying.

If we win the footy, great. If we lose it - I don't think either of those 3 will defend or tackle like their life is dependent on it. No shame, it's not their core skillset and it doesn't come natural to them but they have other skills which are elite.

I'm really interested to see how he goes next year. Some top level talent in coming, Kai and Cal both earning their spots. I'm not 100% sure who comes out for him without injuries.

Hard to know how we'll come back physically, but as good as Kai and Cal have been, we've missed Linc's composure in front of goal and his ball use. One of the best kicks inside 50 in the team.

I'm really interested to see how he goes next year. Some top level talent in coming, Kai and Cal both earning their spots. I'm not 100% sure who comes out for him without injuries.

Right now, Bailey but then you've also got LAshcroft coming in.

Trying to picture a side for next year
Lester Andrews Starce
Wilmott Payne Coleman
Fletcher Neale McCluggage
Lohmann Hipwood Rayner
Cameron Daniher Morris
McInerny Dunkly Berry
Ah Chee W Ashcroft L Ashcroft Zorko
McCarthy/Bailey

You would think just like will Levi walks straight into the team and 35, 11 clearances and a goal in his VFL debut shows that is probably going to be on merit and not just for development as a future star.
I'm not sure that Bailey has ever been dropped so the obvious answer is Ah Chee. If Zorko doesn't continue his form into next year then he could be the guy to come out.
Then we would have to consider Marshall as well.
It's a great problem to have no doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back