List Mgmt. 2024 List management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is solely for list management discussion, Trades discussion goes in the trade thread, and Draft prospect discussion goes in it's relevant thread.

NameFinal YearYears Service*Status
Angus Hastie20252Unknown
Angus McLennan20242Non-Free Agent
Anthony Caminiti20264Non-Free Agent
Arie Schoenmaker20252Unknown
Ben Paton20247Non-Free Agent
Brad Crouch20255Non-Free Agent
Bradley Hill20278Restricted Free Agent
Callum Wilkie20279Restricted Free Agent
Cooper Sharman20244Non-Free Agent
Daniel Butler20245Non-Free Agent
Darcy Wilson20263Non-Free Agent
Dougal Howard20245Non-Free Agent
Hugo Garcia20252Unknown
Hunter Clark20258Restricted Free Agent
Isaac Keeler20242Non-Free Agent
Jack Hayes20243Non-Free Agent
Jack Higgins20277Non-Free Agent
Jack Sinclair202713Unrestricted Free Agent
Jack Steele202711Unrestricted Free Agent
James Van Es20242DELISTED
Jimmy Webster202413Unrestricted Free Agent
Josh Battle20248UFA - leaving for Hawthorn
Lance Collard20263Non-Free Agent
Liam Henry20274Non-Free Agent
Liam O'Connell20252Unknown
Liam Stocker20242Unrestricted Free Agent
Marcus Windhager20254Non-Free Agent
Mason Wood20244UFA + 3 years (2027)
Mattaes Phillipou20264Non-Free Agent
Matthew Allison20244DELISTED
Max Hall20252Non-Free Agent
Max Heath20244Non-Free Agent
Max King20268Restricted Free Agent
Mitchito Owens20254Non-Free Agent
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera20254Non-Free Agent
Olli Hotton20242Non-Free Agent
Paddy Dow20263Non-Free Agent
Riley Bonner20241DELISTED
Rowan Marshall202711Unrestricted Free Agent
Ryan Byrnes20245Non-Free Agent
Sebastian Ross202413DELISTED
Tim Membrey202410Unrestricted Free Agent
Tom Campbell20243DELISTED
Zaine Cordy20253Non-Free Agent
Zak Jones20245Non-Free Agent
* Years service at end of contract.
Free Agency - Friday, October 4 and will run until Friday, October 11.
Trade Period - Monday, October 7 and will run until Wednesday, October 16.
National Draft - Round One - Wednesday, November 20 followed by the remaining rounds of the
National Draft - The rest - Thursday, November 21.
Rookie and Pre-Season Draft - Friday, November 22.

Last edited:
Its a cut throat industry, but as a club we need to find a way to do this better. If we want loyalty from players to remain during their peak years, we need within reason to let them go out and retire on their own terms. Giving him another year to work with the kids in the VFL and then persuade him to retire would have been much more reasonable I would have thought. Although he may think he has a number of years left who knows?

SOS is quickly turning people against himself as list manager. Heck he was looking for sentiment for his own kids when they were on the Carlton list and then he treats a long term club servant like this - hypercrit.

Seb is quoted in the announcement on the Saints website: seems fairly amicable despite it being clear he wants to keep playing football. I think it would have been nice to say goodbye, and if he isn't somewhere else in the AFL next season, hopefully we can do it early in the season.

Seb is quoted in the announcement on the Saints website: seems fairly amicable despite it being clear he wants to keep playing football. I think it would have been nice to say goodbye, and if he isn't somewhere else in the AFL next season, hopefully we can do it early in the season.

Seb is a high quality individual, his statement says more about him than the club in my view!

Its a cut throat industry, but as a club we need to find a way to do this better. If we want loyalty from players to remain during their peak years, we need within reason to let them go out and retire on their own terms. Giving him another year to work with the kids in the VFL and then persuade him to retire would have been much more reasonable I would have thought. Although he may think he has a number of years left who knows?

SOS is quickly turning people against himself as list manager. Heck he was looking for sentiment for his own kids when they were on the Carlton list and then he treats a long term club servant like this - hypercrit.
most would have thought either he retired or was cut.

Last edited:

If he wants to do that then I am sure there is a playing/coaching spot at Sandy for him. No need to take up a spot on the list, we have had enough of those.

Footy is a cut throat industry, everyone knows the game.

The article posted by Mat Mann regarding Shiel says the club is taking a long term approach to list build.
So how does that fit with taking Tomlinson? Cheap stopgap?

I would think so. I posted this a while back, but with Battle almost certainly gone, Van Es delisted and Keeler probably not ready, imagine if Doogs cops an injury in the pre-season. I know we have premiership forward Zaine Cordy as well, but it just makes sense to have a backup tall defender who can kinda sorta play at the level.

Seb is a high quality individual, his statement says more about him than the club in my view!
He couldn't get a final game due to injury and considering there wasn't much on the line for us he probably would have been given one. So it's an unfortunate end, but I'm sure he'll get a send off next year, as he deserves.

At the end of the day, sad as it is, the decision is the correct one. Every player's career ends at some stage - and he's had an excellent one for us. Well done, Seb.

Did you take too many angry pills this morning?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.
This is a professional business. There is limited number of list spots and in order to achieve the dream we need to do what's best for the club.
Like him or not, SOS is doing his job, and unpleasant though it may be, this is the way it has to be. Every professional sports person knows that one day his day will come.
It's a shame Seb didn't get a final game send-off, but that was out of everyone's control.

SOS is quickly turning people against himself as list manager.
How would you know this is true?

Did you take too many angry pills this morning?

No I am just big on club loyalty to its servants, particularly blokes like Seb who stuck with the club during shit times. We have enough trouble getting quality people in, historically we have rated outsiders higher than our own home grown products. Loyalty works two ways and non St Kilda personnel seem to forget that.

Congratulations on a great career Seb. He's unfortunately slown down a lot the last coupld of years but there was a genuine couple of years where he was a very good and consistent midfielder. Averaged like 30 touches a week for those two BnF years.

I doubt he gets picked up anywhere else. Just cant impact like he used to.

North are keen apparently.

Don't feel keen on this Houston link either. Isn't he the one Port came out and put a big price tag on - 2 firsts? I know that's all bluster and it won't cost that but I'd rather not invest any meaningful draft capital in a player like that. Seems very short sighted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't we linked nearly every year with Tomlinson...since back in the Richo days. I thought it was a Richo thing and that speculation about us would end once he joined up with Richo at Melbourne...evidently not.

Pretty sure Tomlinson is like Xerri and actually sought a trade to the Saints but was held over by his club. Might be some external reason driving his continual link to us.

No I am just big on club loyalty to its servants, particularly blokes like Seb who stuck with the club during shit times. We have enough trouble getting quality people in, historically we have rated outsiders higher than our own home grown products. Loyalty works two ways and non St Kilda personnel seem to forget that.
Fair enough, though l don't think there was much choice involved in the scenario. His injury meant he couldn't get a send of, and it's seems he doesn't want to retire so a quick delisting is how those situations get handled to give the player maximum unencumbered time to look for opportunities.
His significant drop in form along with Jones' resurgence and Crouch's contract have blocked the avenues for him to contribute in a different role. Essentially he's been made redundant, and possibly allowed Hotts another year TBD.
That's the path we're on.

Seb wasn't a servant. He would have been in the top five paid players for a decade.
Played some great patches of football, some horrible and mostly meh. Seb was an okay player rewarded like a star.
If he leaves feeling hard done by (I'm sure he doesn't) then he can go for a beer with Dunstan and have a whinge.

Don't feel keen on this Houston link either. Isn't he the one Port came out and put a big price tag on - 2 firsts? I know that's all bluster and it won't cost that but I'd rather not invest any meaningful draft capital in a player like that. Seems very short sighted.

Clubs can put what ever they want on a player 2 first???,they get what they get otherwise he stays.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Personally I think Seb's status has been elevated for some by the fact we've had very few really good players during a lot of his time at the club.

The fact that he won 2 best and fairest awards speaks more to the shitty state of our list at the time.

I wish him well, but a bit of realism wouldn't go astray.

Last edited:
Personally I think Seb's status has been elevated for some by the fact we've had very few really good players during his time at the club.

There fact that he won 2 best and fairest awards speaks more to the shitty state of our list at the time.

I wish him well, but a bit of realism wouldn't go astray.
I imagine the club would have been happy to give him a farewell lap but it seems like he wants to try his luck elsewhere. Good decision by the club, quality organisations don't get too sentimental.

In saying that, his status within our club IMO has not been overstated by fans. No one is deluded enough to think Seb Ross was Lenny Hayes, but he was still one of our best for quite a few years. Much like the old adage "you can only beat what's in front of you", I say "you can only be one of the best players in the team that's there". Doesn't quite roll off the tongue in the same way unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back