List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows wouldnā€™t release Rachele for anything but a top 10 pick as a bare minimum and rightfully so. He was a former pick 6 and heā€™s tracking just as well as Rankine at the same age if not slightly better. Heā€™s also contracted for like another 4 or 5 years. He may want out (yet to be proven) but Crows hold the whip hand in any negotiations. Canā€™t see that one coming to fruition for us even if it would be a nice pickup.

Aleer on the other hand could easily be convinced for the opportunity of senior game time in a contending team, probably a pay rise and extra years tacked on to that contract too. Heā€™d be an amazing acquisition. We need an athletic tall whoā€™s also decent 1-on-1. Canā€™t have a Weitering clone whoā€™s slow. Aleer is athletic, strong in the air, and decent body strength.
Aleer is still contracted and would have about 10 suitors. He isnā€™t going cheap

Most players are 'dealt' the year before their contract runs out....

Not a required player, not many runs on the board....depends too if he wants to play with us!!
He is contracted so GWS only deal him if they are getting overs otherwise they just take a second next season if he doesnā€™t come on.
Look at Hopper for example, GWS rarely get walked over and Aleer would be getting interest from everywhere.

Where a young player is completely disaffected (and don't know if this is the case here), deals get done....
Yes they do get done.. but the Crows won't get short changed for a guy contracted for 5 more years. It would be a top 10 pick or there's no incentive for them to trade.. the thought of us getting him for a second rounder is delusional to be quite frank. It's not like he's home sick or has personal reasons to request the trade that the club feels obliged to facilitate. They hold him for at least another year rather than get destroyed in a trade. And let's be real, if we were in the same situation we'd all be saying two top 10 picks or a top 10 and some extras for a guy tracking nicely and contracted. Some people here even think Jack Martin is worth a pick in the 20's. Rachele won't happen. You can say I told you so if it does but it won't.

Aleer is still contracted and would have about 10 suitors. He isnā€™t going cheap
He'd be cheaper than Rachele. One is playing senior footy and the other is not. He's 4th in line behind Taylor, Buckley and Idun. Only one year left on his contract and they get more for him now than if he doesn't play much next year and ends up out of contract. Also, GWS are quite reasonable at moving players on when they're not in the best 22. And also define your definition of cheap.. I said he's gettable, not that we'd get him for peanuts. Late first round pick is about right. 12-20ish kind of range. Which you could argue is slight overs given he's not getting games but would be fair to shake him loose. The amount of suitors matters little once he nominates a team.. they deal solely with that team.

Yes they do get done.. but the Crows won't get short changed for a guy contracted for 5 more years. It would be a top 10 pick or there's no incentive for them to trade.. the thought of us getting him for a second rounder is delusional to be quite frank. It's not like he's home sick or has personal reasons to request the trade that the club feels obliged to facilitate. They hold him for at least another year rather than get destroyed in a trade. And let's be real, if we were in the same situation we'd all be saying two top 10 picks or a top 10 and some extras for a guy tracking nicely and contracted. Some people here even think Jack Martin is worth a pick in the 20's. Rachele won't happen. You can say I told you so if it does but it won't.
i'm not even a fan of the kid frankly....

He's got some issues it appears and looks like Nicks ain't helping much (all that's just my entirely uninformed opinion by the way)!

He'd be cheaper than Rachele. One is playing senior footy and the other is not. He's 4th in line behind Taylor, Buckley and Idun. Only one year left on his contract and they get more for him now than if he doesn't play much next year and ends up out of contract. Also, GWS are quite reasonable at moving players on when they're not in the best 22. And also define your definition of cheap.. I said he's gettable, not that we'd get him for peanuts. Late first round pick is about right. 12-20ish kind of range. Which you could argue is slight overs given he's not getting games but would be fair to shake him loose. The amount of suitors matters little once he nominates a team.. they deal solely with that team.
I agree I think if you give a pick inside maybe 15 they might bite but I think more likely ~10. Outside of that it is completely pointless for them, they are contending and if they do get injuries having him come in is a huge advantage. KDā€™s are in huge demand and he would have to be one of the more exciting ones available next season so I still think they will get a decent pick.

Personally, i'd keep Martin....if our homework says his war wounds are fixable.... reckon AR might have pushed a few too hard/far....just my supposition though.

I get the argument to keep Martin but we are seeing our window for contending getting smaller as we rely on guys like Martin. He just doesnā€™t play. Ditto Cunners and Marchbank. Enough is enough. If they get another chance and by some miracle play consistently good AFl football good luck to them. Iā€™m not holding my breath.
Would love to know Martin's take on his injuries...
My uneducated guess is his repeated injuries are as much his fault as the clubs but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who knew from both the player and the club their take on this.
Does Akuei deserve retention? Ditto Markov?
I think they are worth persevering with. If we get rid of all our injury prone, never available players then thereā€™s more scope to be patient with these speculative types, the whole point of the cat b rookie concept.
Would readily trade Pitto, but keep Owies - he's durable and does a job.
I think Adelaide or Geelong would be prepared to take Pitto. Also rucks have irrational trade value so I wouldnā€™t rule it out.

I would only move Owies out if we can get Rachele.

C. Durdin and Mots - who knows....
Next season is a very important year for both. At least being under contract if they want to leave or a club wants them at the end of this year then we should be able to get some sort of value back for them.
Reckon Cerra can be every bit the 'star' that Petracca is, even if not as explosive...
I like Cerra but his talent ceiling is nowhere near Petracca who is a superstar. IMO at his best he is borderline All Australian which is still pretty amazing. His injuries though are very concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Ben Hobbs someone weā€™d look at?
Plays mid/forward and seems to have fallen out of favour a little with the bombers
If we are looking at a one paced mid surplus to 'young' midfield I'd rather look at Powell at north but again, not sure why he'd come and be fifth banana, or why we wouldn't look for a point of difference rather than more of what we've got.

We are trying to win a premiership.

Trading out a best 22 player in his mid twenties for a draft pick upgrade is the wrong idea

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not always. We have Lord that has just debuted and looks the good imo.

Iā€™m not saying we trade Cerra, but a midfield of Cripps, Walsh, Docherty, Hewett, Kennedy, Lord, Carroll and maybe a draft pick or 2 is pretty damn good.

We are trying to win a premiership.

Trading out a best 22 player in his mid twenties for a draft pick upgrade is the wrong idea

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
One of our inside mids either plays as the sub, plays in a different position or doesn't play at all when we're at full health due to too much likeness in our midfield mix.

Bringing in a player who falls outside that group and will play whether we're fully healthy or not, be it via trading the pick or using it at the draft is a potential solution and upgrade to the overall list on what we have despite Cerra obviously being a better player than whoever we'd be bringing in.

Not saying we should do it, just throwing it up as a hypothetical given talk earlier in the thread about the Dees being keen on Cerra and us having a midfield conundrum with all our inside mids.

A few players I've been thinking about (without so much as a cursory glance at their contract status)

Caleb Daniel: what's the deal? Seems to be on the outer at the Dogs. Wouldn't mind him on a forward or defensive flank to release others (thinking saad, durdin etc) into the middle.

Matthew Taberner: proven goal kicker - behind others at freo, but can definitely play a role as a 3rd tall if he can stay on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back