List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Green is bigger but they are fairly comparable. If Serong was the size of Green he would be the best player in the competition and will push to be that anyway before his time at Freo is done.

Unfortunately we don't get to look four years into the future when picking a player, otherwise we would not have traded up to get on the other side of Carlton - assuming they still wanted to stiff us and bid on Henry, we let them have him, take Serong at #11 and then Chad Warner with our second round pick.

Tom Green is one generation removed from being Richmond royalty. He will always have a bigger profile than Serong.
I think everyone agrees they are both class, would be thrilled with either.
I always thought we traded up from 10 to 8 (using pick 28) to stop Carlton taking Serong at 9.
We were always taking young at 7.
Then at pick 8, we knew Carlton would take Serong if we didn’t trade up.
Correct call in hindsight.
Pretty sure Carlton only bid on Henry to create a bit of time for themselves for their next move.

I do agree we had to take Henry. The hindsight stuff is easy nowadays. Would have been war had we passed in him and it would be a very brave call.
It’s the poor value pickswapping that annoyed me on that night.
Port getting our F2 for picks 52 and 55 is just so ugghhh

Part of the reason we traded up was to get ahead of the blues, so we would not have got them

They even traded down after their targets were gone
Exactly. If the blues were after Serong or Young it wouldn't have made any sense.

It might've made sense if bidding on Henry was the threat.

Henry was talked about as a fringe first round/early second round that whole year. In hindsight that's exactly where he should've gone. He might work out but he wasn't nearly enough of a sure thing for a top ten pick imo.

I’ve just checked the afl app and the suns still have a list spot open with 46 players already listed.
So even in 2024, 5 years after the assistance package they got, they are being gifted an advantage by having a few more listed players than every other club.
AFL not even pretending anymore in their bias to the suns.

I’ve just checked the afl app and the suns still have a list spot open with 46 players already listed.
So even in 2024, 5 years after the assistance package they got, they are being gifted an advantage by having a few more listed players than every other club.
AFL not even pretending anymore in their bias to the suns.

Yea. They’ve only got one Category B rookie too. So it’s actually four extra list spots they’ve got on top of everyone with one of those still available to use. North Melbourne being the exception of course.

I really don’t know what benefit adding a bunch of delisted hacks and VFL players that won’t get a look in to is really doing other than helping out their VFL a team a bit either and perhaps ruining one or two potential careers of guys that would’ve got an opportunity elsewhere. So basically the AFL is compromising two leagues instead of one.

The AFL should at least be winding those rookie back. They’re a team that could realistically make finals but probably won’t now - that’s competitive enough to stop assistance.

I think everyone agrees they are both class, would be thrilled with either.
I always thought we traded up from 10 to 8 (using pick 28) to stop Carlton taking Serong at 9.
We were always taking young at 7.
Then at pick 8, we knew Carlton would take Serong if we didn’t trade up.
Correct call in hindsight.
Pretty sure Carlton only bid on Henry to create a bit of time for themselves for their next move.

I do agree we had to take Henry. The hindsight stuff is easy nowadays. Would have been war had we passed in him and it would be a very brave call.
It’s the poor value pickswapping that annoyed me on that night.
Port getting our F2 for picks 52 and 55 is just so ugghhh
All correct.

Also a few posters earlier debating the better of Serong and Green. Honestly it’s irrelevant (they are both exceptional players by the way). GWS did a more costly version of what we did to get up to pick 4 ahead of any potential Green bid. Blind Freddy could see that the two Gold Coast boys (Rowell and Anderson) were a lock and Luke Jackson also at 3.

Anyway GWS were matching bid with a bunch of later picks. I honestly don’t see how the Green v Serong is relevant. Both very talented. If we bid on Green at 8. Serong drops to 9. Carlton then bid on Henry at 10. Nothing more surer. GWS aren’t going to pass with their bunch of later picks and miss the opportunity to move them up to a top 8 pick. Freo stuffed up there. GWS wouldn’t have even battered an eye lid over the matter and definitely not holding a grudge material either. It was still well after some predicted that he may get bid on at 5 or 6.

It's actually possible that bidding on Green first and then picking Serong might have given Carlton enough time to line up their trade, which was the reason they gave to bid on both players - to buy time to trade.

Curious if Melbourne go Pickett or Henry.
Exactly.

Some of these trade/draft matters seem like small things but they can make quite a difference when you consider the flow on effect.

• Not bidding on Henry at 8
  • Not having a better trade lined up for F2 on that draft night
  • adding in a second round pick in the Hogan 2018 trade for a junk pick back
  • adding in a F2 in the LJ trade for a third round pick back
  • trading our best 22 players Hogan (even as a salary dump) and Acres for late third round picks respectively

The not bidding on Henry at 8 and poor last minute trade meant we went with a draft deficit in 2020. This could easily have been avoided.

Chucking in pick 25 in the Hogan trade (should have been just 6 knowing all the risks we were taking on) had a flow on effect for the 2018 draft second round.

Chucking in F2 for Luke Jackson hampered our draft hand severely for 2023 ND. As did not getting a future 2nd for Acres. Imagine having 3 second round picks starting that trade period (the one for Logue, our own and a late 2nd for Acres).

Not getting a second for Hogan (when traded to GWS) meant that we couldn’t get an earlier pick in play before bid on Walker in 2020 draft.

Blind Freddy could see that the two Gold Coast boys (Rowell and Anderson) were a lock and Luke Jackson also at 3.
Late in the piece the Jackson pick did become clear but it wasn't always that way

Dees tossed up between Jackson and Green at their pick, think the fact that Green wasn't actually on the table for them made it easier to make the call, just select the guy they can actually get

It's actually possible that bidding on Green first and then picking Serong might have given Carlton enough time to line up their trade, which was the reason they gave to bid on both players - to buy time to trade.

Curious if Melbourne go Pickett or Henry.
Carlton don't make the trade until they know their players are gone, so it wouldn't have mattered

Plus it took 2 bids to sort out their trade

Possible Targets
Restricted Free Agents - Zurhaar
Unrestricted Free Agents - Yeo
Out of Contract - Baker, McDonald, L Ryan, Ugle-Hagan,
1 Year Remaining - Curtin, Motlop,Van Rooyen, Collard, Chad Warner

Possible Targets
Restricted Free Agents - Zurhaar
Unrestricted Free Agents - Yeo
Out of Contract - Baker, McDonald, L Ryan, Ugle-Hagan,
1 Year Remaining - Curtin, Motlop,Van Rooyen, Collard, Chad Warner
That’s just WA players.
There’s been some pointed language from bell, Joe & walls that non-WA players are options as well.

I’m keeping an eye on McGrath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s just WA players.
There’s been some pointed language from bell, Joe & walls that non-WA players are options as well.

I’m keeping an eye on McGrath.
Geez I hope not. We'd have to pay overs for a non-WA FA and McGrath is a decent player but he's beige as ****.

Late in the piece the Jackson pick did become clear but it wasn't always that way

Dees tossed up between Jackson and Green at their pick, think the fact that Green wasn't actually on the table for them made it easier to make the call, just select the guy they can actually get

The late in the piece was what I was referring to. That was a good week out from the ND that it was becoming clear LJ was the selection for Melbourne. As such GWS got themselves into pick 4 and we got ourselves into pick 7 and 8. The fact we had inkling Carlton were a good show for making a bid on Carlton is inexcusable that we couldn’t have got ourselves more prepared for a trade to bring in more late picks.

Salary yes but FA so no trade cost.

The salary would be massive for a non-WA free agent if they’re much good, which McGrath is. He’ll have any Victorian club that can afford him offering him a contract - unless he’s looking to get out of Victoria we’d probably need to offer him a salary cap breaking contract to get him across.

As much as we keep hearing Zurhaar is happy in Victoria, he’s exactly what we need. North probably match if it doesn’t get them a top five compensation pick though so we’d have to offer a lot.

The late in the piece was what I was referring to. That was a good week out from the ND that it was becoming clear LJ was the selection for Melbourne.
This is why I don't think it was as simple as Freo trading up from 10 to 8 in order to pick Serong before Carlton. Top name on Freo's list was LJ, who was being rated around 10 by most of the rankings / phantoms prior to Twomey's late mail phantom.

The fact that, ultimately, LJ went at 3, Young at 7 and Serong at 8, doesn't mean it was destined to play out that way or that Freo were trading up to 8 so as to get Serong specifically. LJ possibly being available at 7 would mean that the order was less set than it looks in hindsight — or, at least, it would've a week out from the draft, when Freo traded with Melbourne. Freo had to have been genuinely worried that Carlton was going to bid on Henry at 9, so the trade was more about getting another pick in before Carlton and Melbourne, who were also reportedly interested. The subsequent actions of both Melbourne and Carlton suggests that neither was genuine.

Doesn't explain why they didn't go in with better currency to match a bid at 9, though.

Salary yes but FA so no trade cost.
Salary is a big deal though. McGrath is Aish level in that he's B22 at most teams, but not in any teams (bar maybe the bottom 2) best 10. Not the sort of player you pay overs in any sense for.

We've been lowballing players lately, presumably to have cap space to target and honestly, I'd rather Acres than McGrath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back