List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wouldn’t have made a lick of difference to that shitshow.
You're right but thats not the issue

Players go whole careers without even playing in a Grand Final, he was in the winning team for the prelim and got dropped (wasn't just a fill in too, played the last 5 games before that), it doesn't happen to many players, that stuff can weigh heavily on people, he may never get that chance again.

My point was that if he is pissed that he was dropped because of the glory rather than thinking his inclusion would have benefited the team (it wouldn’t have) and enough so that he wants out as a result, that’s a red flag to me.
I mean, it was clearly proven that going with Reid was the wrong call, bloke couldn't get through the match.

They have a fit Logan sitting on the sidelines, I'd be furious if I was him.

Not sure he's better than Chad.
I've seen him play both for Aquinas and East Freo if it's the same kid.
He's not better than the oldest brother, not yet anyway
Cheers, I haven't seen any of them at that age, am relaying info from an Easts futures fella I know that has seen them all

Interesting to hear about Warner. It’s Chad WARNER by the way, not Worner! Might need Snuffaluphagus to implement some Jordan Clark/Clarke type rule on this one.
As for whether we could have drafted Chad - yes we could, easily with the capital used on Henry. We traded a second round pick for two lower round picks leading up to the draft with Adelaide Crows, purely because of the incoming Henry bid. Then when the bid came early at 9, we were caught napping and ended having to go and pull our pants down for port Adelaide to get something like 52 and 55 for our F2. A horrible trade but we had no choice if we were to get Henry.
As Chad ended up going at pick 39, the capital used or match Henry would easily have got him. In fact, it probably would have gotten a look at Trent Rivers at pick 32 either.
In 2020, we slid back three spots too from 7 to 10. By draft night it ended up 14 after a Daniher compo pick for Essendon and buds on Jamarra and someone else (can’t quite remember). I believe we were looking closely at Luke Pedlar at 11 instead of Chappy at 14. It still remains to be seen which of them will have the better career. I’ve been impressed by Pedlar this season, he had a bit of a breakout campaign.

Interesting to hear about Warner. It’s Chad WARNER by the way, not Worner! Might need Snuffaluphagus to implement some Jordan Clark/Clarke type rule on this one.
As for whether we could have drafted Chad - yes we could, easily with the capital used on Henry. We traded a second round pick for two lower round picks leading up to the draft with Adelaide Crows, purely because of the incoming Henry bid. Then when the bid came early at 9, we were caught napping and ended having to go and pull our pants down for port Adelaide to get something like 52 and 55 for our F2. A horrible trade but we had no choice if we were to get Henry.
As Chad ended up going at pick 39, the capital used or match Henry would easily have got him. In fact, it probably would have gotten a look at Trent Rivers at pick 32 either.
In 2020, we slid back three spots too from 7 to 10. By draft night it ended up 14 after a Daniher compo pick for Essendon and buds on Jamarra and someone else (can’t quite remember). I believe we were looking closely at Luke Pedlar at 11 instead of Chappy at 14. It still remains to be seen which of them will have the better career. I’ve been impressed by Pedlar this season, he had a bit of a breakout campaign.
We had to match Henry

Imagine finally having an academy player ready for us and then not picking him, would send a shit message to the rest of academy

We definitely ballsed up the points value though, no idea wtf the club were thinking there, other clubs have learnt from our mistake for sure but we made the right call in using our higher picks to get up the draft order, just like dogs made the right call for Croft this year

Armchair coaching is also a wonderful thing.

That single call had 0 bearing on the outcome.
It likely has a bearing on whether Logan stays there

Key forwards need to have a healthy arrogance to survive in the AFL, he certainly would be thinking he would have made a difference, thats what matters here.

There were murmurs pre draft that Carlton liked Henry, people were thinking it was probably too early but we showed our hand that we were definitely matching so Carlton used that to make time to trade
I know hindsight is a wonderful wonderful thing..
But imagine if Fremantle didn’t match.
Kysiah Pickett at pick 12. Tom Green at Pick 10. Will Day at pick 13.
Unlucky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlucky
We didn’t have those picks though.

Unlucky
Tom Green was linked to GWS. Our big mistake was not picking Green at Serong’s pick to then push Henry back a pick and save a lot of points.

It meant nothing though long term since we still got Chapman the following year.

Unlucky
Yeah, imagine if we actually could trade a bunch of nothing picks for pick 10 every draft...

Green should have gone pick 1 or 2 in that draft. He’s an absolute gun and it’s crazy all these dumb clubs (including us) let an asset like that slide to pick 10, doing a team that had just played in a GF a favour.
I have yet to hear a single explanation of how it benefits us to allow an opponent get a free pass like that.

Green should have gone pick 1 or 2 in that draft. He’s an absolute gun and it’s crazy all these dumb clubs (including us) let an asset like that slide to pick 10, doing a team that had just played in a GF a favour.
I have yet to hear a single explanation of how it benefits us to allow an opponent get a free pass like that.
I mean the good karma came back to us in the Hogan negotiations duuuurrrrrrrr

Tom Green was linked to GWS. Our big mistake was not picking Green at Serong’s pick to then push Henry back a pick and save a lot of points.

It meant nothing though long term since we still got Chapman the following year.
Yeah big mistake selecting the next captain of our club..

Hind sight hero, our next pick was 49. Good effort though.
100% - we were never in the mix or had a pick anywhere near any of those top 20 players. We spent all our assets getting Serong.

I still to this day don’t understand why we didn’t place a bid on Green at 8. Either GWS match or pass. We hold the cards - no one can come in and trade for the pick, GWS only hold the pick if they did match the bid.

What we could have done (me, being a little less hindsight hero) is pass on Henry and use our F2 to trade up into the top 35. Honestly Henry was well rated and we had a chance to lessen the points deficit. We also should have been a bit better prepared to get more value return from a trade.

100% - we were never in the mix or had a pick anywhere near any of those top 20 players. We spent all our assets getting Serong.

I still to this day don’t understand why we didn’t place a bid on Green at 8. Either GWS match or pass. We hold the cards - no one can come in and trade for the pick, GWS only hold the pick if they did match the bid.

What we could have done (me, being a little less hindsight hero) is pass on Henry and use our F2 to trade up into the top 35. Honestly Henry was well rated and we had a chance to lessen the points deficit. We also should have been a bit better prepared to get more value return from a trade.
We all went over this at the time and to my mind the simplest explanation was they missed something obvious (which makes it more understandable as often 'obvious' problems can be overlooked as you aren't looking for them): I.E. That they could possibly not bid on Green first. 'Why would they bid on someone lower on their list first?'
If they thought about it at all it would have been to weigh the possibility of a bid as early as nine (remote) as against the small but real effect of the message sent to the player you subsequently select next (Young or Serong) by bidding on Green at 7 or 8. It was a logical enough assumption. It looks very wrong in hindsight but no-one else saw it coming either.

If they rated Serong higher than Green it would be one hell of a stuff up to bid on Green, have it not matched, and miss out on Serong all to pay less for Henry of all players.
Maybe controversial but I think Green may be the better player. He is an absolute beast and would have fixed all of our contested issue problems. Although saying that I do love Serong and think he should be our captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back