List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I've been thinking of recently is the midfield recruiting back in the early Nicks era.

Specifically Schoenberg and Berry. Two players who, at best, would be like-for-like replacements for Crouch brothers/Laird (all 3 still playing, and in 2020 still had multiple good years ahead of them.) Rather than focusing on the gaps in the squad first.

neither are fit to shine the shoes of laird or crouch

I would have preferred Welsh be a talent that risked our first, without costing it, rather than a mid/late second/third round plodder.

Word on my very small street is that the lad has always benefited from being a big solid talented unit and that his attitude to professionalism may be questioned - hopefully “the word” is proven incorrect in the next 24 months.

Word on my very small street is that the lad has always benefited from being a big solid talented unit and that his attitude to professionalism may be questioned - hopefully “the word” is proven incorrect in the next 24 months.

I think thats a common problem amongst talls. I remember huge critcisms levelled at Tom Hawkins for being lazy and fat in his first couple of seasons. Some players only get the wake up call when they land in the AFL system and realise they arent special and they find themselves beaten at training.

I dont think that was the point

When they were drafted there was at least 4 years of Laird and Crouch

Why not draft a point of difference?

Though one could argue it would take players 4-5 years to get up to the level of Laird Crouch

We seriously need threatening small forwards. Outside of Keays there is nothing up forward since Pedlar is busted. It was kick it to the talls today and watch is walk back out.

Murphy - useless
Rachelle - not a pressure forward
Rankine - sometimes defends
Pedlar - shadow of former self
Cook - invisible and better as a wing

Is there any others on the list that could be a pressure forward

Last edited:
We seriously need threatening small forwards. Outside of Jeays there is nothing up forward since Pedlar is busted. It was kick it to the talls today and watch is walk back out.

Murphy - useless

Josh Rachele is probably my greatest concern, his goal awareness is unquestionable but his body shape has
become very thick/strong through the core, great for a mid but not so much for a nimble forward. He seems to be going the way of Cam Rayner all be it shorter and a little lighter. He has been incredibly frustrating as a number 1 pick for the Lions, I really don’t know where Rach ends up.

Yesterday showed we are at a fork in the road IMO. We need to top up experienced players - 100+ games or near it, probably only role players to support our young kids. Or wait for the young kids to get to that range and hope for the best. Most of our best young kids are under 60 games in so best part of 2 seasons away from the start of their peak...

Truth is our players that are supposed to be supporting our kids with their performance are

Smith :crossmark:
Laird :crossmark:
Crouch :question:
Tex :question:
Murphy :crossmark:
ROB :crossmark:
Keays :whitecheck:

We seriously need threatening small forwards. Outside of Keays there is nothing up forward since Pedlar is busted. It was kick it to the talls today and watch is walk back out.

Murphy - useless

Mchenry ;)...but seriously its massive hole now. Rankine now in the midfield more, we lack seriously pace and pressure down there.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's accurate. This year though, he's probably seen that his natural ability is not going to be enough.
Hopefully he learns from it quickly.

Probably true.

But even in the hypothetical world where they do reach that standard, or even show signs of approaching it. There would be no net gain to the current team, or any of the past 5 seasons.

Of course IRL 2024 Crows have to think about replacing Laird and Crouch sooner rather than later. But Hypothetical 2024 Crows still have all the same weaknesses and failures.

With different priorities (recruiting a Soligo type player earlier, handling Stengle better/not wasting 2 years on Jimmy Rowe, things of that nature) the club could have been better sooner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday showed we are at a fork in the road IMO.
I hope the club take a deep deep think on which road to take . I think if you ask 100 supporters there would be a Gepps Cross corner of solutions
We need to top up experienced players - 100+ games or near it, probably only role players to support our young kids. Or wait for the young kids to get to that range and hope for the best. Most of our best young kids are under 60 games in so best part of 2 seasons away from the start of their peak...
And this is the fork - before the start of the year I was hopeful of a top 8 finish and then just find the right top ups and wahey - but now I want us to hit the draft hard - especially with the high rating of this years draft

(and I recognise I could be just as wrong as anybody)
Truth is our players that are supposed to be supporting our kids with their performance are

Smith :crossmark:
Laird :crossmark:
Crouch :question:
Tex :question:
Murphy :crossmark:
ROB :crossmark:
Keays :whitecheck:
Just makes sad reading and I do lay the blame at No Fault Nicks

When you allow senior players to coast without consequence then this is what you get - a complete lack of trust in what should be our core

I have said it and I do truly believe with the right coach , the right senior mentor and the right top ups we have a list to challenge into 2026

I - like most - have great concern that whatever you surround Nicks with a lot of the above issues will still be there

Mchenry ;)...but seriously its massive hole now. Rankine now in the midfield more, we lack seriously pace and pressure down there.

I think there’s also a big coaching element involved there.

Our set up forward of the ball last night from my view in the riverbanks stand was usually a triangle with the key forwards 40-60m ahead of the ball. Then 2 of Rachele, Keays, Murphy about 20m ahead, often one would lead up, basically leaving one smaller forward at ground level to compete in an out number.

In contrast to the Hawks who just seemed to be able to kick to space and no matter where it was they had runners in support.

Obviously the Hawks have quality, but I don’t think players like McDonald and Ginnivan have anything particularly special. I think they’re good players elevated by the system they’re in. I think a player like Zac Taylor would be more than capable in a small forward rotating on ball role, if given the right system to work in. If we had Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar, Keays, Taylor, Cook etc rotating through those forward roles with fast and agile key forwards (which Fogarty is and Thilthorpe once he’s back to full fitness also is) then we’ll be fine. They just have to be coached right, the way we set up last night meant we were mark or bust going forward.

Josh Rachele is probably my greatest concern, his goal awareness is unquestionable but his body shape has
become very thick/strong through the core, great for a mid but not so much for a nimble forward. He seems to be going the way of Cam Rayner all be it shorter and a little lighter. He has been incredibly frustrating as a number 1 pick for the Lions, I really don’t know where Rach ends up.
Well, he was supposedly meant to continue his midfield development after averaging 20 disposals and kicking 10.10 in the first 8 weeks last year. Hence why Nicks said both Rankine and Rachele were going to play more midfield minutes in the preseason which is why his training was for a midfield body but only Rankine has been given midfield minutes.

I think there’s also a big coaching element involved there.

Our set up forward of the ball last night from my view in the riverbanks stand was usually a triangle with the key forwards 40-60m ahead of the ball. Then 2 of Rachele, Keays, Murphy about 20m ahead, often one would lead up, basically leaving one smaller forward at ground level to compete in an out number.

In contrast to the Hawks who just seemed to be able to kick to space and no matter where it was they had runners in support.

Obviously the Hawks have quality, but I don’t think players like McDonald and Ginnivan have anything particularly special. I think they’re good players elevated by the system they’re in. I think a player like Zac Taylor would be more than capable in a small forward rotating on ball role, if given the right system to work in. If we had Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar, Keays, Taylor, Cook etc rotating through those forward roles with fast and agile key forwards (which Fogarty is and Thilthorpe once he’s back to full fitness also is) then we’ll be fine. They just have to be coached right, the way we set up last night meant we were mark or bust going forward.
I think our biggest issue this year is line coaches.

There's other issues, obviously - but we need to be getting Teague, Rutten, Montgomery, Dew etc here next year.

I think our biggest issue this year is line coaches.

There's other issues, obviously - but we need to be getting Teague, Rutten, Montgomery, Dew etc here next year.
Almost threw up my weetbix this morning listening to Buck’s on SEN.
Described how players were pre game in his day. Admitting he was super wound up. At the other end of the scale was Scott Burns he described as a “Low energy Guy”

Calmness is one thing but low energy is not what I want.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back