List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost threw up my weetbix this morning listening to Buck’s on SEN.
Described how players were pre game in his day. Admitting he was super wound up. At the other end of the scale was Scott Burns he described as a “Low energy Guy”

Calmness is one thing but low energy is not what I want.
Burns did display that at Norwood but he also switched on when he crossed the line

As a coach I hope he has some energy instead of calmy going through point by point

Almost threw up my weetbix this morning listening to Buck’s on SEN.
Described how players were pre game in his day. Admitting he was super wound up. At the other end of the scale was Scott Burns he described as a “Low energy Guy”

Calmness is one thing but low energy is not what I want.
Think you’re forgetting Scott Burns was a maniac on the field , absolute white line fever . A very competitive bloke that extracted the best out of his talent

Whether he’s a good coach or not is a diff manner , might be time for a change anyway

Why is it that it feels like we have consistently drafted half back flankers and small mids/half forwards for more than a decade, and yet we have zero running defenders and no good small forwards?
I mean we have Hinge/Nank and Rachele/Keays, but I get what you mean, we don’t have a run-and-carry HBF, nor a pacy, electric small forward (if you count Rankine as a mid)

We desperately need to get a few games into Curtin with some squirts on the ball for the rest of the year. He looks good in this role in SANFL and showed a few glimpses of that in the 20 mins or so he was allowed to be on the ground Sunday.
Give a few games to Ryan let him show us what he's got. Can't see how he'd be worse than Smith.
Somehow convince Cumming/Perryman to come here
Draft Draper or similar elite mid
Maybe get Oliver but not at expense of the above
Get a young ruck via trade, preferably one stuck behind a good player at another club
Delist/trade/retire as many of Hberg, Parnell, Gollant, Berry, Keane, Mchenry, Smith, Murphy, Laird, Schoenberg, Jones as we can this year and next. Sooner the better for most of them. Walker can have 1 more year.

Then.....
Get rid of Nicks at some stage next year (prefer this year but it's not happening lets be honest)
Get a senior assistant into the club, try to recruit a new midfield coach to replace VB too. Someone not from AFC
Get Balme to come in as an advisor, even if it's part time
Get new recruiting manager (although to be fair our last 4 drafts have been ok, its the 3 years before that that were a total disaster and the main reason our list still isnt where it should be). Imagine Day/Serong/Young and Butters running around out there instead of our worst 2 players eg Murphy and Hberg (as the 2 players we drafted instead will no longer be on our list after this year). Should've been sacked a few years ago.
Get a new development manager
Roos gone from the board end of next year
Get a better game plan that doesnt involve slow ball movement

Then we might have something to be excited about

I think there’s also a big coaching element involved there.

Our set up forward of the ball last night from my view in the riverbanks stand was usually a triangle with the key forwards 40-60m ahead of the ball. Then 2 of Rachele, Keays, Murphy about 20m ahead, often one would lead up, basically leaving one smaller forward at ground level to compete in an out number.

In contrast to the Hawks who just seemed to be able to kick to space and no matter where it was they had runners in support.

Obviously the Hawks have quality, but I don’t think players like McDonald and Ginnivan have anything particularly special. I think they’re good players elevated by the system they’re in. I think a player like Zac Taylor would be more than capable in a small forward rotating on ball role, if given the right system to work in. If we had Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar, Keays, Taylor, Cook etc rotating through those forward roles with fast and agile key forwards (which Fogarty is and Thilthorpe once he’s back to full fitness also is) then we’ll be fine. They just have to be coached right, the way we set up last night meant we were mark or bust going forward.

We overthink and overdesign our forward movement.

Think you’re forgetting Scott Burns was a maniac on the field , absolute white line fever . A very competitive bloke that extracted the best out of his talent

Whether he’s a good coach or not is a diff manner , might be time for a change anyway
Remind me, where is he lining up for us this week with that fever and how will it do us any good ?

I think our biggest issue this year is line coaches.

There's other issues, obviously - but we need to be getting Teague, Rutten, Montgomery, Dew etc here next year.

When our new CEO and Chairman came in they promised a footy first footy club with and elite program, and we are far from an elite program

Even before we get to Nicks we have -

1. An inexperienced GM Football.
2. A senior asst in Burns who has failed with every zone he has coached at AFC, and his previous record prior to joining Adelaide was not great either.
3. VB coaches like he played - Vanilla
4. We couldn’t attract an assistant last pre-season because we didn’t want to pay the coin.

Then there is Hamish, he has not been held accountable for his poor drafting.

How many AA have we had that Hamish has selected through the draft, he’s been a protective species.

There is a lot of mess to sort out even before you get to the Head Coach

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When our new CEO and Chairman came in they promised a footy first footy club with and elite program, and we are far from an elite program

2. A senior asst in Burns who has failed with every zone he has coached at AFC, and his previous record prior to joining Adelaide was not great either.
4. We couldn’t attract an assistant last pre-season because we didn’t want to pay the coin.

How many AA have we had that Hamish has selected through the draft, he’s been a protective species.

We are going to have to consider spending above the soft cap to get better people and entice people to Adelaide if we can’t get them as we are

Going to be interesting when Neil Balme likely gets involved , albeit in a part time capacity

Not sure the convo was about that , it was about questioning his competitiveness

Doesn’t mean he’s a good coach or that he’s playing for us as a player this week 😂
The conversation was about the energy put about by a line coach to our players period.

Not questioning his competitiveness . You simply made that up Jeff !
Please re read.

My comment was “Calmness is one thing but low energy is not what I want”
What the hell that has to do with Scott as a player and why did you even bring that up?

I don’t give a flying fig how he was as a player although can assure you I am well aware.
What I do care about is how he impacts our players pre game and for mine he is way too laid back.
Put a frigging white line in the change rooms if that is what it takes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are going to have to consider spending above the soft cap to get better people and entice people to Adelaide if we can’t get them as we are

Going to be interesting when Neil Balme likely gets involved , albeit in a part time capacity
They have flapped about getting the best people into the football department, well now we will see what they are made of

The conversation was about the energy put about by a line coach to our players period.

Not questioning his competitiveness . You simply made that up Jeff !
Please re read.

My comment was “Calmness is one thing but low energy is not what I want”
What the hell that has to do with Scott as a player and why did you even bring that up?

I don’t give a flying fig how he was as a player although can assure you I am well aware.
What I do care about is how he impacts our players pre game and for mine he is way too laid back.
Put a frigging white line in the change rooms if that is what it takes
I wasn’t questioning that you were questioning it 😂

Hard to say if he’s too laid back , although all coaches seem laid back style these days for this generation

I’m pretty sure he’d be hard when he needs to just not sure he’s much good anyway

I hope the club take a deep deep think on which road to take . I think if you ask 100 supporters there would be a Gepps Cross corner of solutions

And this is the fork - before the start of the year I was hopeful of a top 8 finish and then just find the right top ups and wahey - but now I want us to hit the draft hard - especially with the high rating of this years draft

(and I recognise I could be just as wrong as anybody)

Just makes sad reading and I do lay the blame at No Fault Nicks

When you allow senior players to coast without consequence then this is what you get - a complete lack of trust in what should be our core

I have said it and I do truly believe with the right coach , the right senior mentor and the right top ups we have a list to challenge into 2026

I - like most - have great concern that whatever you surround Nicks with a lot of the above issues will still be there
This thing about not playing the kids because they'll be beat up, scarred for life and never play footy again has no evidence to back it up in real life. Sure they might struggle to start with (see Hawthorn rounds 1-5) but any player worth their salt will soon learn to pick up the increased pace of the game and see what they have to aspire to by watching established opposition players run past them.

As for our senior players "protecting" them, Tex probably somewhat fits the bill but Laird plays for himself, Smith is in survival mode, and Murphy/McHenry are just not AFL standard and have nothing to teach.

Stats are only stats but this one from Champion data tonight on under 23 year olds this year
who have out performed their previous years average by 10% or more.

The chat was about the two top clubs so don’t know where we ranked but hoped we may
have had at least 5 . Guess have to play them first.

1. Gold Coast 9 players
2 Geelong. 5 players

I wouldn't even say an inexperienced GM. He's an admin guy who had experience in the SANFL and WAFL we decided was capable of running a football club. There's not a lot of obvious football IQ or nous involved when you listen to him talk.

Hammill ain't too bad, was really starting to show it at AFL leve
Hammill has been in the system for long enough now that he needs to show more than a bit. I know he’s been unfortunate with injury, but for me, he needs to have done more. I’d be happy to trade or delist personally

Ehh, I doubt he’s a ‘run and carry’ player anymore with all his injuries (he never really was one, anyway, moreso leaned on his agility)
Anyone that has followed English Football (EPL) will have heard of Darren Anderton from Tottenham Hotspur..his nickname was old sick note as he was forever injured...thats our Milera..old sick note unfortunately

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back