List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With tonight’s win - if we get up in the Showdown next week and the Saints lose out (plus they get band 1 for Battle), I have to wonder if this could be a real possibility

6 is clearly out of Draper range, so if we’re enamoured with him, 6 and F1 for 2 and 22 (or North’s F2) could be a deal North accepts, and would make more sense for us than if we were giving pick 4

FWIW I’m not sure it’d be worth it, as the likes of Lindsay/Lalor/Allan are likely to be available then and are close to, if not level with Draper as prospects IMO. But it’s a move I can see the club biting the bullet on
That wouldn't work for North.

They'd want Trailor, but the Saints could throw a wrench in that if they have two picks.

For a whole lot of reasons I don't see how we can have Lukosius and Tex on the list next year.

I doubt we are selling it to Lukosius that he can play as a defender or as a forward in the SANFL. Surely it is to play along side Thilthorpe and Fog.

The latest rumour is Tex is playing on so not sure how it will work

Last edited:
I reckon Carlton are crying out for a Saad replacement and I wonder whether we can't pitch Hamill as a ready made and pretty cheap (late 2nd round?) option. Bond has shown more than enough that he can play that small lockdown defender role and he doesn't have the same issues with his body so he should be first in line for that role in 2025.

If it's a really deep draft as all the big draft watchers say then I think now is the time to trade in any of those blokes who are (close to) AFL quality players who don't have a clear role/opportunity in our setup.

We tried playing both in the Thilthorpe role. Burgess is marginally better, but neither is tall/good enough to justifably be retained as Thilthorpe depth. Both are depth to Fogarty and Walker. In that role, Gollant is superior.
I reckon Carlton are crying out for a Saad replacement and I wonder whether we can't pitch Hamill as a ready made and pretty cheap (late 2nd round?) option. Bond has shown more than enough that he can play that small lockdown defender role and he doesn't have the same issues with his body so he should be first in line for that role in 2025.

If it's a really deep draft as all the big draft watchers say then I think now is the time to trade in any of those blokes who are (close to) AFL quality players who don't have a clear role/opportunity in our setup.
I can’t see us retaining both Hamill and Bond for the same role Max can play. Hamill has no trade value and is probably getting delisted.

We tried playing both in the Thilthorpe role. Burgess is marginally better, but neither is tall/good enough to justifably be retained as Thilthorpe depth. Both are depth to Fogarty and Walker. In that role, Gollant is superior.

I can’t see us retaining both Hamill and Bond for the same role Max can play. Hamill has no trade value and is probably getting delisted.
I would agree that Max can play that role against the oppo's best small forward but I'm not convinced that (i) it's his best role or (ii) he's better at it than Bond. I think it's a win-win to have Bond on the Weightmans and Camerons of the world and for Max to trade up to a medium forward which I think frees him up more to intercept mark and rebound.

Can Hamill spend another year on the rookie list? I'd keep him personally. Like you said, no trade value, but he's shown to be a solid HBFer when he comes into the main side and has pace out of defense.

Now that he's had a better run with head knocks, i feel like he's a handy depth piece.

Can Hamill spend another year on the rookie list? I'd keep him personally. Like you said, no trade value, but he's shown to be a solid HBFer when he comes into the main side and has pace out of defense.

Now that he's had a better run with head knocks, i feel like he's a handy depth piece.

My guess is it will depend on other movements and how we rate the lower end of the draft.

Over five years on a list is a long time for a HBF depth player. I'm not against keeping him but we need top make sure we keep improving the list.

My guess is it will depend on other movements and how we rate the lower end of the draft.

Over five years on a list is a long time for a HBF depth player. I'm not against keeping him but we need top make sure we keep improving the list.
I feel like he's a unique case considering his concussion history. There was a time he looked like a star in the making, then for 3 seasons he couldn't catch a break in terms of head knocks.

I'm not against losing him, but I feel like there is deader wood on the list than Will right now.

Hamill can spend 2 more years on the rookie list (2025 & 2026) before we have to think about upgrading or delisting/re-drafting him. Having said that, it's becoming increasingly difficult to see him being on the list in 2025.

I feel like he's a unique case considering his concussion history. There was a time he looked like a star in the making, then for 3 seasons he couldn't catch a break in terms of head knocks.

I'm not against losing him, but I feel like there is deader wood on the list than Will right now.
Here's the list of players who are out of contract this year, and have yet to be re-signed:
Sam Berry
Ned McHenry
Lachlan Gollant
Patrick Parnell (R)
Elliot Himmelberg
Hugh Bond
Taylor Walker
Chris Burgess( unsure on length)
Will Hamill (R)
James Borlase (R)

Bond & Borlase should get new contracts. Walker will determine his own fate, but it's likely he'll play on. Burgess probably has a 2-year contract, given that we traded for him, so he probably shouldn't be on the list (though his contract length has never been confirmed).

That leaves Berry, McHenry, Gollant, Berg, Parnell (R) and Hamill (R) - 6 players, which is about the usual number turned over at the end of each season.

Berry will almost certainly be on an AFL list somewhere in 2025, though it may not be at Adelaide. Berg will probably go to GWS as a UFA. Gollant might find some interest, given his 8 goal haul yesterday, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. The rest of them are all on very shaky ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the list of players who are out of contract this year, and have yet to be re-signed:
Sam Berry
Ned McHenry
Lachlan Gollant
Patrick Parnell (R)
Elliot Himmelberg
Hugh Bond
Taylor Walker
Chris Burgess( unsure on length)
Will Hamill (R)
James Borlase (R)

Bond & Borlase should get new contracts. Walker will determine his own fate, but it's likely he'll play on. Burgess probably has a 2-year contract, given that we traded for him, so he probably shouldn't be on the list (though his contract length has never been confirmed).

That leaves Berry, McHenry, Gollant, Berg, Parnell (R) and Hamill (R) - 6 players, which is about the usual number turned over at the end of each season.

Berry will almost certainly be on an AFL list somewhere in 2025, though it may not be at Adelaide. Berg will probably go to GWS as a UFA. Gollant might find some interest, given his 8 goal haul yesterday, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. The rest of them are all on very shaky ground.
Oh it will be tight. But at this point if it boils down to keeping 1 of Parnell or Hamill on the rookie list I'd prefer Hamill.

If both go, i'm not losing sleep. But I have always thought there was a player in Will. More of a player then his unfortunate injury history has allowed us to see.

I'm very much against this.

We were brilliant at using the rookie list to unearth a player. We did it better than most.
Then we decided to use it as a halfway house to delisting. Either delist or don't. Stop being soft about it.

All of the players in that boat we know what they can do. Better off trying someone else who is a bit raw or underdeveloped but maybe has a higher ceiling.

Hamill is UFA and can sign anywhere. Also Hamill on Rookie List was because he was contracted and had to pay him anyway. I thought Hamill was pretty good in games played. Happy to keep for another year. I was seduced by Curtin's talent yesterday. Use Pick 4 wisely, hoping Welsh drops to at least 3rd Round.

Hamill is UFA and can sign anywhere. Also Hamill on Rookie List was because he was contracted and had to pay him anyway. I thought Hamill was pretty good in games played. Happy to keep for another year. I was seduced by Curtin's talent yesterday. Use Pick 4 wisely, hoping Welsh drops to at least 3rd Round.
*Can not be used while talking AFC. ^

I would like Hamill to stay but if he goes, I wish him the best. A good honest competitor who has lifted despite his many concussions.

For a whole lot of reasons I don't see how we can have Lukosius and Tex on the list next year.

I doubt we are selling it to Lukosius that he can play as a defender or as a forward in the SANFL. Surely it is to play along side Thilthorpe and Fog.

The latest rumour is Tex is playing on so not sure how it will work

Why can't we go 4 talls?

TT, FOG, Walker, Luko, Rachele, Keys - (Murph/Pedlar) rotating through.

We went 4 talks in 2016/2017 with Jenkins, Walker, Lynch and McGovern and that worked out pretty damn well.

:p
Have you officially given Lachie the Vader "kiss of death" ?

B.O.G. Neil Kerley Medalist.

Not like you to get overly excited about players outside of our best 22 dominating a bunch of part time plumbers and electricians.

Remember when you said we didn't need Rankine because Rowe had shown so much more at SANFL level..... Or even better - when we didn't need to keep Cameron because Galluci would easily take over that role.....

I would agree that Max can play that role against the oppo's best small forward but I'm not convinced that (i) it's his best role or (ii) he's better at it than Bond. I think it's a win-win to have Bond on the Weightmans and Camerons of the world and for Max to trade up to a medium forward which I think frees him up more to intercept mark and rebound.
I agree completely, but should Bond go down I think we’d prefer to move Max back into that role than retain Hamill another year with how tight spots are.

Why can't we go 4 talls?

We went 4 talks in 2016/2017 with Jenkins, Walker, Lynch and McGovern and that worked out pretty damn well.

It's possible but unlikely. I don't see how Nicks could commit to four talls. Lynch was also a borderline tall, he had good mobility.

I doubt that Luko is coming to us to be a 4th forward, it's a big investment from us as well.

Who knows, maybe he is. Grundy went to Melbourne.

It's possible but unlikely. Lynch was a borderline tall, he had good mobility.

I doubt that Luko is coming to us to be a 4th forward, it's a big investment from us as well.

Who knows, maybe he is. Grundy went to Melbourne.
When we had Jenkins, Walker, McGovern and Lynch only really McGovern was an aerial threat.

With Thilthorpe and Fogarty we have greater aerial presence than 2017.
It could work but relies on Rachele upping his defensive game, and rotating Thilthorpe in the ruck more.

Which might be a good thing.

Why can't we go 4 talls?

no Murphy thank you.

Pedlar is ok if he can find some form and get his body and fitness levels up. Cook can also play this role.

Walker won't play a full season if he does stay.

Future would be: TT, FOG, Welsh, Rachele, Keays and Pedlar

Luko would be our ideal swingman..... most likely Wing.

If we do trade for Luko then it would be interesting if we trade Keane or try to trade Butts.....

Adelaide is making a bold play to bring South Australian Jack Lukosius home.
It is understood Crows coach Matthew Nicks met the 24-year-old swingman on the Gold Coast last week as the club attempts to pull off its third major recruiting raid in four years.

Lukosius, who was drafted from SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens with pick 2 at the 2018 AFL national draft, is contracted for two more seasons, but could be gettable after appearing to fall out of favour at the Suns.

The 195cm key utility was dropped from the Gold Coast team for last Saturday’s round 22 clash against Essendon for the first time in his 115-game, 77-goal career.

One of his key forward line replacements, Mac Andrew, kicked four goals, including the matchwinner after the final siren, while other key forwards Ben King (three goals) and Jed Walter (two) booted five majors between them.

Lukosius, though highly rated, could be available for trade as the Suns attempt to balance their books to bring triple premiership-winning Richmond playmaker Daniel Rioli to the club to reunite with his Tigers flag coach Damien Hardwick.

Rioli had a career-high 36 disposals against the Saints on Sunday and won’t come cheaply.

Jack Lukosius was dropped for the first time in his career last week. Picture: Brendon Thorne/AFL Photos

The Crows swooped on captain Jordan Dawson from Sydney in the 2021 trade period and, a year later, grabbed Izak Rankine from the Suns.

Rankine was taken one spot below Lukosius at the 2018 draft.

Lukosius, who has kicked 60 goals in the past two seasons for Gold Coast, has been on the Crows’ radar ever since he was drafted, but speculation has increased in recent weeks that he could become available in this year’s exchange period.

Former Adelaide and Geelong forward Josh Jenkins said on SEN last week that he believed Lukosius is “less than a 50 per cent chance” to be at the Suns next season.

Lukosius is believed to be happy on the Gold Coast and enjoys the laidback lifestyle of being a footballer in the Sunshine State.

He signed a four-year contract extension midway through 2022, saying “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”.

But after being moved all around the ground by Hardwick – and now being dropped –Lukosius, who has a preference to play forward, is almost certain to have questioned his position at the club.

Adelaide could only watch on in 2018 as Gold Coast pounced on two of the most-highly-touted junior products to ever come out of SA with its first two picks of the national draft.

Lukosius went first, the Suns taking the Henley High School product with the second overall selection after Carlton drafted midfielder Sam Walsh with pick 1.

A generational key forward with running patterns out of Nick Riewoldt’s playbook was a pre-draft assessment of Lukosius, who booted four goals in his SANFL league debut as a 17-year-old in a preliminary final against Sturt.

Rankine went next.

The kid, who some say is the most talented player the state has produced, was running rings around men at 16, and capped off his SANFL career with three goals and 12 score involvements before being drafted.

What happened after that has been pulled apart ever since.

After Port Adelaide took future captain Connor Rozee at pick 5, the Crows drafted Chayce Jones (pick 9) and Ned McHenry (16) in the first round.

But forget that for the moment – it’s not about them now.

It’s about what might happen next.

Is the ending to the movie the Crows were forced to watch about to be completely rewritten?

First, Adelaide took back Rankine in a 2022 trade.

Will the Crows flip the script completely and reunite the pair this year?

Then there’s the other question, what’s he worth?

Lukosius made things look easy at junior level and, at times, he still does – that laconic, yet text book, kicking action can be irresistible.

But he’s been called out for taking things too easy during his time on the Gold Coast, with Fox Footy’s David King taking aim at Lukosius’ defensive efforts last year.

“You know why he’s a whipping boy? Because he puts in efforts like this. This destroys any form of culture you have at your footy club,” King said of Lukosius’ decision not to chase Bomber Nic Martin in round 2.

“It makes me wonder: Is Jack the sickness or the cure? Is he there to correct this problem and take this club forward? He’s on big money and he’s been a high draft pick and all those things, but in the end, you act your way in and out of a footy club.”

It’s that competitiveness that might make a potential suitor think twice.

But at 195cm, his skill set is rare.

“Jack’s a very special talent,” long-time AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan said before that draft.

He wouldn’t command anything near the selection he was taken with, but it would be hard for both SA clubs not to be, at least, interested.

The Power’s list is in a very different spot, compared to its cross-town rival.

Does it need another lead-up forward alongside Todd Marshall? Probably not.

But add Lukosius’ strengths to any contender, and it probably makes them better, especially if you’re a contender that loses Dan Houston’s kicking off half-back, given he has been linked with a return back to Victoria.

With the Crows building its next-gen forward line around Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty, Lukosius might be the icing on the cake as the third tall at West Lakes in the post-Taylor Walker era – whenever that comes.

Throw in potential father-son selection Tyler Welsh and Crows fans would be excited about the club’s attacking future.

But what’s the asking price?

Or, more poignantly, what is another club willing to pay?

It depends. Are you paying for the 24-year-old, 39-goal forward from 2023 or the guy dropped by a team out of the finals race?

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder – in a footy sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back