List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry was the one to move on.

Would we really lose much by giving more midfield time to Dowling or Taylor next season?
We don't like trading players when they want to stay. We need to keep bringing in more talent, but we are reluctant to move anybody on.

Agree we should have moved Berry on, we have plenty of other options who can play a similar role to him. Perfect opportunity to trade him and get something decent in return and free up a list spot to bring in new talent in areas we are lacking.

Last edited:

What are the characteristics of top drafted talls ....Watts, Schache, and Lukosius ....you could also add English, Wright, and Nick Bryan to the group

tumblr_oyhutsLpf91u2ragso1_r1_400.gifv
Is Bryan worth looking at maybe? Is he any good? I had heard earlier in the year he could be one to target?

We have a massive glut of mids. Really need to move someone on. This is a bit wild but Shol would be a great one to trade. Had a good year, value will never be higher. We are light on for wings but have to give something up to get into this draft and make list space.
Schoenberg should be on rookie list worst case, he won't make it.
If we draft a mid at pick 4 (which everyone assumes and hopes we will) then in the last 3 drafts we've drafted:

Edwards
Curtin
Taylor
Dowling
Soligo

Pedlar & Berry the year before that.

Big year for Pedlar & Berry next season, put up or get overtaken
Agreed, plus brought in Dawson, Rankine and even Rachele likely to play part mid over career IMO. Its a helluva lot of mids we have brought in over recent years - now just need to ensure there are at least 3 elite ones which Rankine definitely is, Dawson borderline is and Soligo is building towards a quality 3rd string mid (not ever AA calibre IMO). If either Curtin (or others mentioned) and/or pick 4 turns elite mid we will have one of the best midfields within 3 years

Ideally we have to start really cutting out some middle men that aren't going to make it. If contracts weren't an issue this is who I'd be moving on:

Berry (don't get why we signed him)
Murphy (replaced by ANB, he doesn't need an understudy)
Hamill (don't lose much we haven't already got in Ryan / Nank)
Burgess (keep EH as backup but that's it)
McHenry
Schoenberg (won't make it)
Laird - try trade him
Milera - play him next year then trade
Smith
Parnell
Sholl - could trade him while his value is high, he has deficiencies in his game despite a good year. I don't see him as a premiership winger
Gollant - Had a perfect chance, did nothing. We have depth in KPF
Strachan - need to be replaced with a younger backup ruck who is capable
It's likely that Hamill, Burgess, McHenry, Parnell and Gollant are let go this year. I'd add Hberg to that list too (plus Sloane is already gone)
The rest have contracts - Sberg and Smith I'd pay out, Strachan if we can find an AFL ready replacement, Berry I agree should've been moved on. Murphy gone once his contract is up surely. Laird yes try to trade but realistically there won't be any takers
Sholl I'd keep

not sure if posted but crows stuff half way down. Kane really does hate Tex

Where is the ruthless edge that once defined the AFL? Clubs are no longer willing to play hardball on trades, contract negotiations, honest feedback to players or even setting strict training standards.

Instead, we are witnessing a wave of softness and appeasement. Clubs are more interested in keeping everyone happy rather than chasing success at all costs. This shift is evident across the league – and there are a few glaring examples.

Why should the Eagles pay anything for Liam Baker?
Why should the Eagles pay anything for Liam Baker?Credit:Getty Images

Take West Coast’s pursuit of Liam Baker. Baker is out of contract and Richmond will demand a first-round draft pick to close the trade.

But why should West Coast give up anything? Richmond wouldn’t redraft Baker and North Melbourne are unlikely to take him, so they could simply claim Baker for free in the pre-season draft and keep their prized first-round pick.

It would acquire a high-quality player at no cost and send a message to the competition: West Coast will not be pushed around. After three seasons at rock bottom, they would finally be flexing their
muscles.

Instead, West Coast, at risk of offending the rival club or Baker’s management group, will cave in to Richmond’s demands.

At Adelaide, coach Matthew Nicks was due to come out of contract at the end of this season.

But the club board was generous in rewarding Nicks with a two-year contract extension at the start of the season because it did not want Nicks to face any scrutiny from the media.

It was another mistake from the underperforming club.

Adelaide started the season with five losses from its first six games and finished the season in the bottom four. It’s the seventh season in a row Adelaide has missed the finals, and Nicks is there for another two years.

Adelaide’s lack of ruthlessness is not limited to its handling of the coach. Former captain Taylor Walker is another beneficiary of the club’s nice approach. As he has done in the past, Walker applied pressure for a contract extension, which was granted and announced last week.

If Adelaide had been truly ruthless, it would have moved on from Walker. At his age, with a deteriorating back, he struggles to meet the demands of today’s game. Forcing him to retire would have allowed Adelaide’s young and dynamic forward line to flourish without his looming presence casting a shadow over the squad.

With a deteriorating back, Taylor Walker is struggling to meet the demands of today’s game.
With a deteriorating back, Taylor Walker is struggling to meet the demands of today’s game.Credit:via Getty Images

The Crows have clearly not learned from their mistakes with Rory Sloane. Despite his obvious physical limitations, they allowed Sloane to remain on the list this year, only for him to suffer an eye
injury and retire without playing a game this year.

It is clear Adelaide are afraid to make tough and sometimes unpopular decisions.

This is a far cry from the ruthless approach Malcolm Blight took when he became Crows coach in 1996. Blight wasted no time making hard calls, cutting club stalwarts, including captain Tony McGuinness, Chris McDermott, and Andrew Jarman.

Those decisions paved the way for Adelaide to win back-to-back premierships in 1997 and 1998.

Essendon were determined to be nice guys this season.
He's not wrong though

not sure if posted but crows stuff half way down. Kane really does hate Tex

Where is the ruthless edge that once defined the AFL? Clubs are no longer willing to play hardball on trades, contract negotiations, honest feedback to players or even setting strict training standards.

Instead, we are witnessing a wave of softness and appeasement. Clubs are more interested in keeping everyone happy rather than chasing success at all costs. This shift is evident across the league – and there are a few glaring examples.

Why should the Eagles pay anything for Liam Baker?
Why should the Eagles pay anything for Liam Baker?Credit:Getty Images

Take West Coast’s pursuit of Liam Baker. Baker is out of contract and Richmond will demand a first-round draft pick to close the trade.

But why should West Coast give up anything? Richmond wouldn’t redraft Baker and North Melbourne are unlikely to take him, so they could simply claim Baker for free in the pre-season draft and keep their prized first-round pick.

It would acquire a high-quality player at no cost and send a message to the competition: West Coast will not be pushed around. After three seasons at rock bottom, they would finally be flexing their
muscles.

Instead, West Coast, at risk of offending the rival club or Baker’s management group, will cave in to Richmond’s demands.

At Adelaide, coach Matthew Nicks was due to come out of contract at the end of this season.

But the club board was generous in rewarding Nicks with a two-year contract extension at the start of the season because it did not want Nicks to face any scrutiny from the media.

Adelaide started the season with five losses from its first six games and finished the season in the bottom four. It’s the seventh season in a row Adelaide has missed the finals, and Nicks is there for another two years.

Adelaide’s lack of ruthlessness is not limited to its handling of the coach. Former captain Taylor Walker is another beneficiary of the club’s nice approach. As he has done in the past, Walker applied pressure for a contract extension, which was granted and announced last week.

If Adelaide had been truly ruthless, it would have moved on from Walker. At his age, with a deteriorating back, he struggles to meet the demands of today’s game. Forcing him to retire would have allowed Adelaide’s young and dynamic forward line to flourish without his looming presence casting a shadow over the squad.

With a deteriorating back, Taylor Walker is struggling to meet the demands of today’s game.
With a deteriorating back, Taylor Walker is struggling to meet the demands of today’s game.Credit:via Getty Images

The Crows have clearly not learned from their mistakes with Rory Sloane. Despite his obvious physical limitations, they allowed Sloane to remain on the list this year, only for him to suffer an eye

It is clear Adelaide are afraid to make tough and sometimes unpopular decisions.

This is a far cry from the ruthless approach Malcolm Blight took when he became Crows coach in 1996. Blight wasted no time making hard calls, cutting club stalwarts, including captain Tony McGuinness, Chris McDermott, and Andrew Jarman.

Those decisions paved the way for Adelaide to win back-to-back premierships in 1997 and 1998.

Essendon were determined to be nice guys this season.
Well, he's not wrong

It's likely that Hamill, Burgess, McHenry, Parnell and Gollant are let go this year. I'd add Hberg to that list too (plus Sloane is already gone)
The rest have contracts - Sberg and Smith I'd pay out, Strachan if we can find an AFL ready replacement, Berry I agree should've been moved on. Murphy gone once his contract is up surely. Laird yes try to trade but realistically there won't be any takers
Sholl I'd keep
Sholl is now our best Wing .....breakout year, he's not going anywhere

Trouble is, the moving of Laird out of the midfield 👏......is not good news for Hamill, I'm finding it hard to see Laird being good as a DEF now .....he's lost his 2 mtr pace and has never really been a strong defender ....he's been more the outlet player, roaming free ??

We have long been lacking a ruthless edge.

10 days post completion of our season and not one delisting yet, I don't know what we're waiting for.
You don't get any benefit from rushing delistings, it's not a race. Maybe we think all the players we are happy/intend to let go may have some trade value? Even though that's unlikely!

Be patient, the axe is poised, the cunning plans are being hatched, the future is good hands

Who are some good up and coming rucks that are stuck behind a R1 and we could get then?
I'm not over it at all ....it seems most of the backup young Rucks are signed up ....might have to scour the State Leagues

That said, Liam Reidy looked good in the last minor round .....interesting that HAW have 4 x Rucks on their list, and we can only cobble together 1 1/2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not over it at all ....it seems most of the backup young Rucks are signed up ....might have to scour the State Leagues

That said, Liam Reidy looked good in the last minor round .....interesting that HAW have 4 x Rucks on their list, and we can only cobble together 1 1/2
Signed up young rucks can be convinced to leave if you tell them they can be R1 within a year.... that's what we should be doing
Grabbing Parnell in the MSD instead of Moyle a huge error in hindsight

Signed up young rucks can be convinced to leave if you tell them they can be R1 within a year.... that's what we should be doing
Grabbing Parnell in the MSD instead of Moyle a huge error in hindsight
IMO, you'll only convince a young Ruck to move, IF they're promised game-time now .....ATM most young Rucks would not view the opportunity as immediate

So... they have a list squeeze and a salary cap squeeze (with a huge offer to Mac Andrew, plus trading for Rioli & Noble).

... and they still expect people to believe that they'll only trade Luko if the price is right? Seriously. Do they expect anyone to swallow that bullshit?

This is absolutely a Bowes deal - and Adelaide should walk away if GC don't hand over one of their 1st round picks in return for us paying his full salary.
No list squeeze at the Suns, already down to 33 (-5) on the main list so got room for Rioli, Noble, Lombard and a couple more.

Salary cap shouldn't be a squeeze this year but maybe with a lot of re-signings next year they may want to move a couple on like Luko and Rosas. Don't think we'll get a bargain but it shouldn't be to hefty a price to say no thanks.

We need to upgrade the list so unskilled triers are no longer selected.

Agreed, plus brought in Dawson, Rankine and even Rachele likely to play part mid over career IMO. Its a helluva lot of mids we have brought in over recent years - now just need to ensure there are at least 3 elite ones which Rankine definitely is, Dawson borderline is and Soligo is building towards a quality 3rd string mid (not ever AA calibre IMO). If either Curtin (or others mentioned) and/or pick 4 turns elite mid we will have one of the best midfields within 3 years
It wouldn't shock me if Soligo ends up on a wing. Most likely it'll be Daws that goes out but the competition for spots next season will be hot in there. I'd be shocked if Edwards isn't in our best mid mix in 2026. Something about him

We're coming from a long way back when I look at midfields like Swans, Port, GWS, Brisbane and now Hawks

For those suggesting trade Laird, he's contracted for a decent amount and he won't agree to leave Adelaide where his life is nicely set up. He'll see out his contract regardless of whether he's plaing seniors or SANFL. No point suggesting trading him.

We don't like trading players when they want to stay. We need to keep bringing in more talent, but we are reluctant to move anybody on.

Agree we should have moved Berry on, we have plenty of other options who can play a similar role to him. Perfect opportunity to trade him and get something decent in return and free up a list spot to bring in new talent in areas we are
I agree in principle upon reflection but whats something decent? Pick in the 30s or later? That’s the issue of what he would have gained and anything after pick 30 becomes very marginal
He's not wrong though
Agreed. Most of what he said about us and other clubs was spot on. Just pointing out he hates Tex and also a one year Tex extension would probably be the most debateable part of the article IMO. It’s not clear cut and I am glad we have Tex for one more year (different to Smith and 2 more years of Laird).

His point about Bombers giving injury plagued Ridley a 3 year extension ON TOP of existing contract until 2026 is crazy list management. I didn’t realise this but holy ****

It wouldn't shock me if Soligo ends up on a wing. Most likely it'll be Daws that goes out but the competition for spots next season will be hot in there. I'd be shocked if Edwards isn't in our best mid mix in 2026. Something about him
Yes mate agreed Edwards has one of the highest ceilings with pace and size perhaps relative to Dowling, Taylor etc

Very exciting prospect. Let’s hope he extends for another 2 years in the off season and debuts early next year

Ideally we have to start really cutting out some middle men that aren't going to make it. If contracts weren't an issue this is who I'd be moving on:

Berry (don't get why we signed him)
Murphy (replaced by ANB, he doesn't need an understudy)
Hamill (don't lose much we haven't already got in Ryan / Nank)
Burgess (keep EH as backup but that's it)
McHenry
Schoenberg (won't make it)
Laird - try trade him
Milera - play him next year then trade
Smith
Parnell
Sholl - could trade him while his value is high, he has deficiencies in his game despite a good year. I don't see him as a premiership winger
Gollant - Had a perfect chance, did nothing. We have depth in KPF
Strachan - need to be replaced with a younger backup ruck who is capable
When does Tassie come in?

So what was wrong with it?

Its what I would have done as well

We're coming from a long way back when I look at midfields like Swans, Port, GWS, Brisbane and now Hawks

For those suggesting trade Laird, he's contracted for a decent amount and he won't agree to leave Adelaide where his life is nicely set up. He'll see out his contract regardless of whether he's plaing seniors or SANFL. No point suggesting trading him.
Agree on both points, firstly the easy one. No SANE club is taking Laird. We would need to give someone at least a second rounder and pay a chunk of his salary to clear him off the books. And then Laird says no anyway so it’s pointless even thinking about. We are stuck with him for 2 more years.

With midfields things can change quickly but we have lots of ingredients as per previous posts. Swans having Heeny and Warner finally step up as elite mids - many years into career is one example. Power did brilliantly with the JHf steal to compliment the 2018 haul. Lions kissed on the **** with F/S and also great recruiting of Neal and Dunkley.

I believe we already have 2 elite mids in Rankine and perhaps borderline elite with Dawson. Lots of other high end players picked as potential/likely mids in Curtin, Rachele plus Edwards, Soli, Taylor etc. and pick 4 this year will very likely be an elite mid. I don’t think it’s as dire as some as only need 1-2 of all these other names on top of Rankine and Dawson to be a top quartile midfield within 2-3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back