List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all. Its a comparison of a back pocket delistee to one of the best up and coming rucks in the AFL.
It's fine to say Parnell wasn't the right choice over a ruckman (though we did and do still need running small defenders).

It's dumb to say any decision made with a MSD pick - where probably 90%+ fail - is the same as missing with a pick 6.

How would they get him for free? Not a free agent next year or the year after or the one after that.

Right now they have Frampton as a 1st choice key back, so Keane is a need for them. Issue is they don't have a 1st round pick this year and they sure as hell aren't going to trade next year's first and not have a 1st round pick 2 years in a row and have just Shulz and Keane to show for it. Their supporters would burn the place down.

If we're honest with ourselves, we probably wouldn't pony up a 1st for Keane either. Will be 25 start of next season, as good an interceptor as he is, he's a very average 1v1 defender. Also could take off back to Ireland to get on the drink again at any time. They're pretty light on picks though, might be the best opportunity we'll get to winkle Beau McCreery out of there; exactly what we don't have, monster upgrade on Murphy.
Keane is an UFA at any contract end as he’s previously been delisted. He’d walk to them for free and we’d get compensation. He’s certainly an upgrade on Frampton but still doesn’t fill that void left by Murphy as he’s not great 1v1 and better playing the Moore roaming role. I don’t think he’s the missing piece worth giving up a first rounder for.

I’d be stunned if McCreery becomes available. It wouldn’t be a straight swap for Keane and Collingwood are light on young talent.

Keane is an UFA at any contract end as he’s previously been delisted. He’d walk to them for free and we’d get compensation. He’s certainly an upgrade on Frampton but still doesn’t fill that void left by Murphy as he’s not great 1v1 and better playing the Moore roaming role. I don’t think he’s the missing piece worth giving up a first rounder for.

I’d be stunned if McCreery becomes available. It wouldn’t be a straight swap for Keane and Collingwood are light on young talent.
Keane was not delisted apparently. This has been discussed multiple times.

We can do a player swap instead of draft picks.

example:
petty for borlase
petty for mchenry and late 3rd round pick

No one has really wanted Borlase on their main list since his draft year, I don't think he has shown enough to improve his chances since then. Certainly no one is trading him for anything more than a 4th round pick.

Keane was not delisted apparently. This has been discussed multiple times.
I’m going off former AFL articles but if he’s not a delisted free agent that’s great and certainly changes the chips we hold. That said, I still think a F1 from Collingwood, who have one of the weaker lists of younger players and just had an F1 trade backfire, is fanciful.

It's fine to say Parnell wasn't the right choice over a ruckman (though we did and do still need running small defenders).

It's dumb to say any decision made with a MSD pick - where probably 90%+ fail - is the same as missing with a pick 6.

I think more what were missing is a strong, reliable one on one defender (I.e. Starcevich, Quaynor), to free up Max to be less defensive focussed.

Don't know who that is, but I've been joined up since roughly 2012 and can confirm I'm no one else but me. Any similarities or hatred you had for "muzz" or "Brett Cummings" is purely inconsequential and has been transferred to me, a third party. I'm guessing they didn't much care for the circle jerking in the Adelaide forums as well though?
What is circle jerking exactly? Asking for a friend

I wonder if GC would look at a trade with us on draft night for their pick 8 - say 8 & 20 for 5...if it looks like Draper might slide a few spots - grab him and then get Dodson - the young SA state ruck that really impressed as one for the future. I like the idea of going after Cumming - he would add to our side imo. Then if we just can't wait for Petty, we use our 2nd this year and F2 to target him. The use later points for Welsh - we might have to trade out a player or 2 for some later picks.

So we end up with something like this
Draper - draft
Dodson - draft
Welsh - draft
Petty - trade
Cumming - Free agent

That would help a bit with the here and now, put a guy away for the future ruck wise and get us that top rated young mid and a very promising young mobile goalkicking forward

Would still leave us with our F1 in that scenario
If we give up anything for Petty I'm flying back to Adelaide and I will personally deliver 100 tonnes of the smelliest shit I can muster and dump it in the AFC front door, I might also tip fish guts in their air-conditioning system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big question for the group.

Is Luke Pedlar's position in the squad in trouble?

Players I think will be delisted at the end of the year
Harry Schoenberg
Ned McHenry

They are two I am not convinced will get another go. But Pedlar has failed to cement a spot in the best 22, and by all appearances looks to have had players go past him like Dowling.

I havent seen much of bond but with Ryan coming on and Hamill showing some good run and carry Bond may struggle as well.

Due to our lack of depth maybe Pedlar stays but he surely is running out of chances.
Pretty sure Ned will be head coach of Radelaide one day, secret succession plan

This is the year to go to the draft. I rate this group highly and it runs pretty deep. we can set ourselves up for the future by using this years first, next years first and other picks we may be able to secure as well as the picks we currently have. We can get a quality mid or two, a ruckman and a key forward or intercept defender if we play our cards right.

This is not the time to trade away our picks for players who may only help in the short term or who have major issues atm.

Tassie is coming soon. We need to keep picking youth at this time to get quality kids into the side before most are forced to go across to the apple isle

If we do go for trades they should be for younger players on the fringe atm who because of team depth cannot get a game presently or who are in and out of the side but have huge upside

There are also still some free agents we could look at that could help our cause eg Cumming

Let’s not miss the opportunity to get some real talent into the squad with the 2024 draft class
Agreed bigman, but watch AFC trade away our future on cue

We’ve now seen that Dawson, Soligo, Rankine, Berry, Dowling, Rachele (ant an stretch) and Taylor can all deliver good midfield minutes. Maybe Curtin could be added to that list over the remaining matches of this season.
If we roll into the first 4-8 games of season 2025 with Laird and Crouch getting games let alone meaningful CBAs I’ll fair dinkum spew up.
Try as hard as you can to trade one and keep the other in the SANFL as depth and usher in the new brigade.

Looking at my rolling projected 2026 best 22:

B: Michalanney, Nurray, Worrell
HB: Hinge, ___, Nankervis
C: Sholl, Dawson, Dowling
HF: Rachele, Fogarty, Rankine
F: Keays, Thilthorpe, ___
R: ___, Soligo, Taylor
I/C: Curtin, Cook, _, _
Sub: ___

Again, not counting young players that haven’t really impacted at AFL yet (besides Curtin)

• I’m thinking Curtin goes down the Dawson path almost directly. Comes into the side initially as a sweeping defender, moves up the ground and into the middle by about year 4 or 5. I.e. not a mid yet, at this point
  • Assume at this point that Crouch will move on to another club needing midfielders in the 25 offseason, as we need to prioritise Soli/Zac minutes
  • vet ?’s are ROB (will we have moved back to VIC for study by then, and/or will we have found a younger, better ruck?), Keane/Butts (will Keane leave, and/or will one of them be playing consistently well enough by this point?), Milera (how will he return from injury?) and Laird (will our coaches still see him as a piece, let alone a key one? Will still be in contract)
  • youth ?’s are Ryan, Edwards, Turray, Welsh, Berry (will he leave?), Pedlar (how will he return from injury?) and Bond
  • I’m not mentioning Schoenberg, Jones and Hamill, as I either think they will have fallen down the pecking order too much, or will be off the list altogether by this point

Clear holes:
  • Quality second KPD (Butts/Keane? Ballard? Petty? Leek Aleer?)
  • young ruck (who knows who this could be)
  • an elite young midfield prospect (anyone at the top of this year’s draft, probably Draper if we’re being honest)
  • 3rd tall forward (most likely Welsh, but if he hasn’t developed by this point, we might need to find a stopgap, assuming Walker’s gone by then)
  • final two slots need to be pacy players, whether they’re inside or outside-leaning mids, forwards or defenders. Cumming this off-season? NWM in 2025? Any other role players we might look to trade for/draft in? Someone already on the list like Cheddar?

I will say, the emergence of Nank/Sholl/Dowling/Taylor/Cook this year has given me a lot more confidence in what a core quality 22 will look like in a couple of years. The list build isn’t finished yet, though

Looking at my rolling projected 2026 best 22:

B: Michalanney, Nurray, Worrell
HB: Hinge, ___, Nankervis
C: Sholl, Dawson, Dowling
HF: Rachele, Fogarty, Rankine
F: Keays, Thilthorpe, ___
R: ___, Soligo, Taylor
I/C: Curtin, Cook, _, _
Sub: ___

Again, not counting young players that haven’t really impacted at AFL yet (besides Curtin)

• I’m thinking Curtin goes down the Dawson path almost directly. Comes into the side initially as a sweeping defender, moves up the ground and into the middle by about year 4 or 5. I.e. not a mid yet, at this point
  • Assume at this point that Crouch will move on to another club needing midfielders in the 25 offseason, as we need to prioritise Soli/Zac minutes
  • vet ?’s are ROB (will we have moved back to VIC for study by then, and/or will we have found a younger, better ruck?), Keane/Butts (will Keane leave, and/or will one of them be playing consistently well enough by this point?), Milera (how will he return from injury?) and Laird (will our coaches still see him as a piece, let alone a key one? Will still be in contract)
  • youth ?’s are Ryan, Edwards, Turray, Welsh, Berry (will he leave?), Pedlar (how will he return from injury?) and Bond
  • I’m not mentioning Schoenberg, Jones and Hamill, as I either think they will have fallen down the pecking order too much, or will be off the list altogether by this point

Clear holes:
  • Quality second KPD (Butts/Keane? Ballard? Petty? Leek Aleer?)
  • young ruck (who knows who this could be)
  • an elite young midfield prospect (anyone at the top of this year’s draft, probably Draper if we’re being honest)
  • 3rd tall forward (most likely Welsh, but if he hasn’t developed by this point, we might need to find a stopgap, assuming Walker’s gone by then)
  • final two slots need to be pacy players, whether they’re inside or outside-leaning mids, forwards or defenders. Cumming this off-season? NWM in 2025? Any other role players we might look to trade for/draft in? Someone already on the list like Cheddar?

I will say, the emergence of Nank/Sholl/Dowling/Taylor/Cook this year has given me a lot more confidence in what a core quality 22 will look like in a couple of years. The list build isn’t finished yet, though
Leek Aleer...No, just plain NO.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back