List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We have plenty of midfielders - maybe two many - but most either aren’t good enough or certainly aren’t good enough to demand a midfield role

McHenry
Jones
Berry
Dowling
Laird
Dawson
Rankine
Rachele
Curtin
Keays
Bond
Schoenberg
Pedlar
Crouch
Soligo
Taylor

That’s 16 - and probably Dawson is the only one where midfield is not there preferred role. You could probably chuck Murphy in the mix as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There are pretty much 5 types of players in an AFL team:
Ruck (1-2)
Key forward (2-3)
Key defender (2-3)
Lock down small defender (1)
Midfielder (14-17)

And the lock down small defender is also probably a mid.

Our best mids tend to play in the centre square, and the rest play forward or back. Newly drafted mids, even Daicos, are not centre square ready mids immediately. Reid is the only exception I can think of (there are probably morem, but not many).

As mids get better/ more centre square ready (Dawson, Soligo, Rankine), they displace the lesser centre sqaure mids (Keays, Sloane, Laird). The lesser mids exit the team.

The only exception is where a better mid adds more value as a backline mid (Stewart for Cats, only played in centre square to break a tag) or forward mid (Stengle, Charlie Cameron).

Curtin wasn't a centre square mid leading into the draft. He played as a backline mid in the nationals (AA), WAFL Seniors and in the 2022 Futures game (BOG). He got some centre square bursts (not sure about the Futures game), but very heavily backline mid role.

Which is where he starts his career with us. He's not going to be a centre square mid in at least his first couple of years, except maybe in spurts, and he may end up being too valuable as a playmaker in the back half to play in the centre square much at all.

And that's fine, Curtin's still going to be a gun.

He is on track to play 16 out of 23 games this season and 20 games last season so I'm not sure how you thought he only played 7-8 games???
I’m not going to argue but rather ask that you read my post again as your calculations are incorrect as is the use of two question marks.

Given the significant CBA increase, Rankine will be on $1M. I'll be disappointed if we didn't offer him at least that much, enough of spreading the salary cap across the list and time to reward the stars.
You don't overpay players you already have.

Let's say he gets $950k (which is probably realistic) - that's still only a $250k to $300k increase.

You don't overpay players you already have.

Let's say he gets $950k (which is probably realistic) - that's still only a $250k to $300k increase.
What? Who says $1M is overpaying for him, that's how much your best players on your list should be earning. No wonder Lever, Cameron and especially McGovern left, I really hope our salary management strategy has changed since then.

Liam Ryan on the trade block, should we consider him?

28 in October

What? Who says $1M is overpaying for him, that's how much your best players on your list should be earning. No wonder Lever, Cameron and especially McGovern left, I really hope our salary management strategy has changed since then.
If you overpay players to stay and you overpay players to come here, how are you going to build a premiership level list?

That being said, maybe I'm being conservative. I have no issues with Rankine being one of highest paid players in our list, which probably means he should be at $1m.

My point was against the poster a page or so ago that made it sound like this was bad news and was going to prevent us getting other players. We're already paying him well, so the pay rise wont stop us doing things.

Gulp there goes our salary cap space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you overpay players to stay and you overpay players to come here, how are you going to build a premiership level list?

That being said, maybe I'm being conservative. I have no issues with Rankine being one of highest paid players in our list, which probably means he should be at $1m.

My point was against the poster a page or so ago that made it sound like this was bad news and was going to prevent us getting other players. We're already paying him well, so the pay rise wont stop us doing things.
I was joking.

Liam Ryan on the trade block, should we consider him?

28 in October

Depends on the price, as 28 for the entirety of next season means he could play 3-4 years more. We desperately need a classy forward pocket, he would be awesome.

Sure he needs to pass the fitness assessment, but he replaces McHenry short term, Murphy out of the team 2025 and then off the squad, and puts pressure on Pedlar to actually pull up his socks and put in an immense pre-season.

Problem is that fitness test, he has played just 103 games, and has a 2 year contract.

Depends on the price, as 28 for the entirety of next season means he could play 3-4 years more. We desperately need a classy forward pocket, he would be awesome.

Sure he needs to pass the fitness assessment, but he replaces McHenry short term, Murphy out of the team 2025 and then off the squad, and puts pressure on Pedlar to actually pull up his socks and put in an immense pre-season.

Problem is that fitness test, he has played just 103 games, and has a 2 year contract.
He is a deadset gun. Would love him.

Our midfield loves putting it on the heads of our forwards, maybe they've been preparing for Liam Ryan's arrival this entire time.

Looking like could be a decent offseason for injection of talent

Out
Sloane
Berry
Himmelberg
McHenry
Gollant
Parnell
2025 future 1st
Dees 2nd rounder
pick from Berry deal

In

Cumming - FA

Pick 4 - 1 of Draper /Lalor/Osullivan/Reid

Pick 13 - Dodson

Lukosious

Welsh

When was the last time you watched him .....I watched him 3 times at training this PS .....and discussed him with longtime (30 year) inside ESS official

So you're talking out of your **** .....no knowledge
Update Mutineer on your star player Ben Hobbs

9 games for the season, 2 of which were wearing the green vest .....hasn't been able to get a game the last 7 weeks ...... Dylan Shiel the 31 YO has been preferred

You have a thing for mediocre players, who were good U18 players .....he'll be trade bait this trade period, there's your star mid 🤣

Looking like could be a decent offseason for injection of talent

Out
Sloane
Berry
Himmelberg
McHenry
Gollant
Parnell
2025 future 1st
Dees 2nd rounder
pick from Berry deal

In