List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide is making a bold play to bring South Australian Jack Lukosius home.
It is understood Crows coach Matthew Nicks met the 24-year-old swingman on the Gold Coast last week as the club attempts to pull off its third major recruiting raid in four years.

Lukosius, who was drafted from SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens with pick 2 at the 2018 AFL national draft, is contracted for two more seasons, but could be gettable after appearing to fall out of favour at the Suns.

The 195cm key utility was dropped from the Gold Coast team for last Saturday’s round 22 clash against Essendon for the first time in his 115-game, 77-goal career.

One of his key forward line replacements, Mac Andrew, kicked four goals, including the matchwinner after the final siren, while other key forwards Ben King (three goals) and Jed Walter (two) booted five majors between them.

Lukosius, though highly rated, could be available for trade as the Suns attempt to balance their books to bring triple premiership-winning Richmond playmaker Daniel Rioli to the club to reunite with his Tigers flag coach Damien Hardwick.

Rioli had a career-high 36 disposals against the Saints on Sunday and won’t come cheaply.

Jack Lukosius was dropped for the first time in his career last week. Picture: Brendon Thorne/AFL Photos

The Crows swooped on captain Jordan Dawson from Sydney in the 2021 trade period and, a year later, grabbed Izak Rankine from the Suns.

Rankine was taken one spot below Lukosius at the 2018 draft.

Lukosius, who has kicked 60 goals in the past two seasons for Gold Coast, has been on the Crows’ radar ever since he was drafted, but speculation has increased in recent weeks that he could become available in this year’s exchange period.

Former Adelaide and Geelong forward Josh Jenkins said on SEN last week that he believed Lukosius is “less than a 50 per cent chance” to be at the Suns next season.

Lukosius is believed to be happy on the Gold Coast and enjoys the laidback lifestyle of being a footballer in the Sunshine State.

He signed a four-year contract extension midway through 2022, saying “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”.

But after being moved all around the ground by Hardwick – and now being dropped –Lukosius, who has a preference to play forward, is almost certain to have questioned his position at the club.

Adelaide could only watch on in 2018 as Gold Coast pounced on two of the most-highly-touted junior products to ever come out of SA with its first two picks of the national draft.

Lukosius went first, the Suns taking the Henley High School product with the second overall selection after Carlton drafted midfielder Sam Walsh with pick 1.

A generational key forward with running patterns out of Nick Riewoldt’s playbook was a pre-draft assessment of Lukosius, who booted four goals in his SANFL league debut as a 17-year-old in a preliminary final against Sturt.

Rankine went next.

The kid, who some say is the most talented player the state has produced, was running rings around men at 16, and capped off his SANFL career with three goals and 12 score involvements before being drafted.

What happened after that has been pulled apart ever since.

After Port Adelaide took future captain Connor Rozee at pick 5, the Crows drafted Chayce Jones (pick 9) and Ned McHenry (16) in the first round.

But forget that for the moment – it’s not about them now.

It’s about what might happen next.

Is the ending to the movie the Crows were forced to watch about to be completely rewritten?

First, Adelaide took back Rankine in a 2022 trade.

Will the Crows flip the script completely and reunite the pair this year?

Then there’s the other question, what’s he worth?

Lukosius made things look easy at junior level and, at times, he still does – that laconic, yet text book, kicking action can be irresistible.

But he’s been called out for taking things too easy during his time on the Gold Coast, with Fox Footy’s David King taking aim at Lukosius’ defensive efforts last year.

“You know why he’s a whipping boy? Because he puts in efforts like this. This destroys any form of culture you have at your footy club,” King said of Lukosius’ decision not to chase Bomber Nic Martin in round 2.

“It makes me wonder: Is Jack the sickness or the cure? Is he there to correct this problem and take this club forward? He’s on big money and he’s been a high draft pick and all those things, but in the end, you act your way in and out of a footy club.”

It’s that competitiveness that might make a potential suitor think twice.

But at 195cm, his skill set is rare.

“Jack’s a very special talent,” long-time AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan said before that draft.

He wouldn’t command anything near the selection he was taken with, but it would be hard for both SA clubs not to be, at least, interested.

The Power’s list is in a very different spot, compared to its cross-town rival.

Does it need another lead-up forward alongside Todd Marshall? Probably not.

But add Lukosius’ strengths to any contender, and it probably makes them better, especially if you’re a contender that loses Dan Houston’s kicking off half-back, given he has been linked with a return back to Victoria.

With the Crows building its next-gen forward line around Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty, Lukosius might be the icing on the cake as the third tall at West Lakes in the post-Taylor Walker era – whenever that comes.

Throw in potential father-son selection Tyler Welsh and Crows fans would be excited about the club’s attacking future.

But what’s the asking price?

Or, more poignantly, what is another club willing to pay?

It depends. Are you paying for the 24-year-old, 39-goal forward from 2023 or the guy dropped by a team out of the finals race?

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder – in a footy sense.
Could we possibly be thinking playing Thilthorpe as FT Ruck
Luko, FOG, and Welsh in the forward line

Could we possibly be thinking playing Thilthorpe as FT Ruck
Luko, FOG, and Welsh in the forward line
Reckon RT’s shown in recent weeks that his 200cm+ presence in the forward line is heavily required, especially next to Fog, who’s on the shorter side

Luko as a KPF isn’t the answer (fine as a 3rd tall or HF/wing), and we don’t even know if Welsh will come on yet, we have to treat him as a bonus rather than rely on him

Comments section on The Tiser always good for a laugh - don’t think any issue posting these? (Feel free to delete if there is)

The guru 👁
15 minutes ago
Lukosius worth about pick 25 or so.
That is all

thumb_up
My Two Cents Worth
16 minutes ago
He's not worth pick 4, but certainly worth more than pick 39 (power) or 42 (crows). And let's not forget....he's still contracted by the Suns so they don't have to let him go if they're not happy with the price.

I'd say a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick is where he'd land.

thumb_up
Always Red
20 minutes ago
If hes as great as Jordan Dawson, grab him!

thumb_up
Charlie
22 minutes ago
This years and next years first picks willl be needed but worth it

thumb_up
John
20 minutes ago
Charlie they want Rioli, make a deal

thumb_up
Cass
24 minutes ago
Good replacement for Tex. And can play back if we need. Good team man.

thumb_up
Mike
33 minutes ago
I think the point that he likes a laid back lifestyle explains why he has not fulfilled his potential. Give him a miss. If they move higher than 4th pick and miss Sid Draper because of it, they have rocks in their head. Too much focus on Welsh. He starred at junior levels until he came up against the best in the U18 championship and was hardly sighted. Also not standing out at sanfl (where Sid Draper is)

thumb_up
Chris
36 minutes ago
Crows have a second round pick this year. Done.

thumb_up
Dylan
39 minutes ago
He enjoys the laidback nature of footy up there, but its to the detriment of his game.

No pressure up there, no one cares, which means win or lose nothing changes. All the players who've left the Suns have gone on to be better players.

I still think he stays, but of the 2 clubs I would think Adelaide go harder for him

thumb_up
John
47 minutes ago
Smart move Adelaide Quality young man not reached his Prime *

thumb_up
Bruce13
54 minutes ago
Was Lukosius dropped because he met with Nicks during the week???

thumb_up
Emma
56 minutes ago
Lukosius is a key position player by height only, has neither the tenacity nor aggression needed as a key tall. Would make a very good third forward, but I would be really careful about overpaying.

thumb_up
Robert
1 hour ago
Haven't got the draft picks or players the Suns need so it will take a third club, e.g. Himmelberg to the Giants, who give the Suns 'something' and we get Lukosius. He then needs to find some grunt because at the moment his laconic approach makes him appear disinterested when things get tough.

thumb_up
Shane
1 hour ago
Himmelberg is a free agent, so that would not work.

thumb_up
Mmclean
1 hour ago
Adelaide also have Melbournes 2nd round pick

thumb_up
David
1 hour ago
Well he is a gun so will come to the Crows. Port only pick up second hand rejects.

thumb_up
A
48 minutes ago
Crom + Lukosius = big improvement next year. I hope nicksy is setting big goals! Bottom 6 is within reach 🙌🏼

thumb_up
Ros
1 hour ago
Who knows, they might even soar to 14th next year.

thumb_up
Rosemary
1 hour ago
a very good footballer. good news

thumb_up
Ian
1 hour ago
Crows aren't short of tall forwards, a big bodied mid is what we need.

thumb_up

UPDATED

June
17 minutes ago
Remember he wants to play in finals so probably better off where he is

thumb_up
Roy
18 minutes ago
Is Simon Goodwin ready to come home yet?

thumb_up
Anthony
29 minutes ago
Lukosius can't make the best 22 at Gold Coast, hence would be a perfect fit for the Crows!

I'm sure someone will join them and this is the 30th name mentioned with 29 rejections in the past 2 months.

thumb_up

thumb_up
Nadia
42 minutes ago
Adelaide should never let a good player head interstate. Recruiting SA based players will eliminate the players desire to leave. Learn from your mistakes. Adelaide should have fought for Lachie Neale, it’s not as if the recruiters have set the world on fire! I think poor recruitment has played a massive part of the teams failure to succeed as well as they should have!

thumb_up

trevor
2 minutes ago
Welsh and Draper get those deals done which will set them in good shape for the future.

thumb_up
Boss
6 minutes ago
Be careful what you wish for.
Highly talented but has not produced. Has Jack Watts again written all over it.

thumb_up

Boomers Have Broken Us
1 hour ago
Edit
From 15th to Premiers in 2025. I feel it in my waters.

thumb_up
Caro Tadgh
8 minutes ago
Boomers Have Broken Us nah

thumb_up
Colin
7 minutes ago
That happens when you get older.

thumb_up

Last edited:
Why can't we go 4 talls?

TT, FOG, Walker, Luko, Rachele, Keys - (Murph/Pedlar) rotating through.

We went 4 talks in 2016/2017 with Jenkins, Walker, Lynch and McGovern and that worked out pretty damn well.
Until we played Andy Otten in the GF for compassionate reasons
One of the main reasons we lost

Comments section on The Tiser always good for a laugh - don’t think any issue posting these? (Feel free to delete if there is)

The guru 👁
15 minutes ago
Lukosius worth about pick 25 or so.
That is all

thumb_up
My Two Cents Worth
16 minutes ago
He's not worth pick 4, but certainly worth more than pick 39 (power) or 42 (crows). And let's not forget....he's still contracted by the Suns so they don't have to let him go if they're not happy with the price.

I'd say a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick is where he'd land.

thumb_up
Always Red
20 minutes ago
If hes as great as Jordan Dawson, grab him!

thumb_up
Charlie
22 minutes ago
This years and next years first picks willl be needed but worth it

thumb_up
John
20 minutes ago
Charlie they want Rioli, make a deal

thumb_up
Cass
24 minutes ago
Good replacement for Tex. And can play back if we need. Good team man.

thumb_up
Mike
33 minutes ago
I think the point that he likes a laid back lifestyle explains why he has not fulfilled his potential. Give him a miss. If they move higher than 4th pick and miss Sid Draper because of it, they have rocks in their head. Too much focus on Welsh. He starred at junior levels until he came up against the best in the U18 championship and was hardly sighted. Also not standing out at sanfl (where Sid Draper is)

thumb_up
Chris
36 minutes ago
Crows have a second round pick this year. Done.

thumb_up
Dylan
39 minutes ago
He enjoys the laidback nature of footy up there, but its to the detriment of his game.

No pressure up there, no one cares, which means win or lose nothing changes. All the players who've left the Suns have gone on to be better players.

I still think he stays, but of the 2 clubs I would think Adelaide go harder for him

thumb_up
John
47 minutes ago
Smart move Adelaide Quality young man not reached his Prime *

thumb_up
Bruce13
54 minutes ago
Was Lukosius dropped because he met with Nicks during the week???

thumb_up
Emma
56 minutes ago
Lukosius is a key position player by height only, has neither the tenacity nor aggression needed as a key tall. Would make a very good third forward, but I would be really careful about overpaying.

thumb_up
Robert
1 hour ago
Haven't got the draft picks or players the Suns need so it will take a third club, e.g. Himmelberg to the Giants, who give the Suns 'something' and we get Lukosius. He then needs to find some grunt because at the moment his laconic approach makes him appear disinterested when things get tough.

thumb_up
Shane
1 hour ago

thumb_up
Mmclean
1 hour ago
Adelaide also have Melbournes 2nd round pick

thumb_up
David
1 hour ago
Well he is a gun so will come to the Crows. Port only pick up second hand rejects.

thumb_up
A
48 minutes ago
Crom + Lukosius = big improvement next year. I hope nicksy is setting big goals! Bottom 6 is within reach 🙌🏼

thumb_up
Ros
1 hour ago
Who knows, they might even soar to 14th next year.

thumb_up
Rosemary
1 hour ago
a very good footballer. good news

thumb_up
Ian
1 hour ago
Crows aren't short of tall forwards, a big bodied mid is what we need.

thumb_up
1 hour ago

thumb_up:D

With Taylor Walker’s career winding down and the scattered glimpses shown by Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty, there would be scope for Lukosius to assert himself in that forward-line. Alternatively, he could again be swung into defence to play a rebounding role.

Until we played Andy Otten in the GF for compassionate reasons
One of the main reasons we lost
Mate that’s absolutely right. That day at The G….windy wintery day already, very tricky swirling breeze and then an oversized fwd line….not smart
1 hour ago

thumb_up:D
Is that you man?

I won’t “reveal” myself as think it’s my real name!

With Taylor Walker’s career winding down and the scattered glimpses shown by Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty, there would be scope for Lukosius to assert himself in that forward-line. Alternatively, he could again be swung into defence to play a rebounding role.
I have it on pretty good authority Lukosius hates playing in defence. He'll nominate whichever club can best sell him a role in the forward-line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon RT’s shown in recent weeks that his 200cm+ presence in the forward line is heavily required, especially next to Fog, who’s on the shorter side

Luko as a KPF isn’t the answer (fine as a 3rd tall or HF/wing), and we don’t even know if Welsh will come on yet, we have to treat him as a bonus rather than rely on him
Yeah I have changed my tune on this.
Last year i was thinking Rileywas going to be best utilised as a mobile, No.1 ruck, (Matt Kreuzer style, for want of a better comparison). I was struggling to see him as a force up forward (despite his famous debut game).
Since he's come back in this year though, i'm 100% in the 85 KPF 15% ruck camp for Riley

Scattered glimpses?, he struggles to get to 14 possessions per game - massive fail apparently ;)

Why can't we go 4 talls?

TT, FOG, Walker, Luko, Rachele, Keys - (Murph/Pedlar) rotating through.

We went 4 talks in 2016/2017 with Jenkins, Walker, Lynch and McGovern and that worked out pretty damn well.

Not sure thinking about 4 talls matters too much when Walker is so close to retirement

had a VERY quick look at last years trades and noticed Melb gave us R2 pick for McAdam.
Surely Luko is worth more than him. More potential, younger, better output.
My prediction is we need to move some picks around to get a pick around 16-22 for him.\
This shouldn't require our pick 4/5 hopefully.
I think we still hold that Melb pick (currently 28 according to the draft order in BF).
Bit of a pick shuffle on top of that pick might get it done?

had a VERY quick look at last years trades and noticed Melb gave us R2 pick for McAdam.
My prediction is we need to move some picks around to get a pick around 16-22 for him.\
I think we still hold that Melb pick (currently 28 according to the draft order in BF).
Difference is Melbourne didn't take on $700K contract since we actually wanted to keep McAdam and offered him a new contract.

McAdam was a first 22 player, at least he was with us

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back