List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I said this in another thread, if Jack Lukosius does go to the crows it will mean the crows will have the pick 2 and 3 from the 2018 AFL draft that the Crows botched! that was the draft the crows used their pick 9 to get Chayse Jones and their pick 16 to get Mchenry! the draft where the crows could have got Zak Butter but went Jones... Not to mention we first called out Tarryn Thomas name first but North matched our bid lol seriously, its not Nicks that needs to be sacked its the recruiting team at the Adelaide footy club that needs to be sacked.

I’m assuming Burgess is already OOC otherwise the decision to retain Berry is boggling. If we want to take another pick to the draft for Dodson wonder if we pay out Strachan? Would be on a dirt cheap contract and surely not a need with Dodson on the list.

Is it cap squeeze or brilliant/fortunate list management?
Perryman comes in at no cost and essentially picks up Houston wage and is not a major downgrade
Port get a first rounder - back in the draft or trading for other needs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No matter what, port have smarter people behind the scenes than we do.. they will ALWAYS out-do us when it comes to drafting and trading

I said this in another thread, if Jack Lukosius does go to the crows it will mean the crows will have the pick 2 and 3 from the 2018 AFL draft that the Crows botched! that was the draft the crows used their pick 9 to get Chayse Jones and their pick 16 to get Mchenry! the draft where the crows could have got Zak Butter but went Jones... Not to mention we first called out Tarryn Thomas name first but North matched our bid lol seriously, its not Nicks that needs to be sacked its the recruiting team at the Adelaide footy club that needs to be sacked.
We've also had Hately, who was pick 14 in the same draft. Fortunately, we didn't give up anything to obtain his services.

I’m assuming Burgess is already OOC otherwise the decision to retain Berry is boggling. If we want to take another pick to the draft for Dodson wonder if we pay out Strachan? Would be on a dirt cheap contract and surely not a need with Dodson on the list.
I know Mutineer thinks Dodson would be ready to step up and play AFL in his first season - but I think this is rare for ruckmen. Then again, Mutineer has seen Dodson play, while I have not.

Our list is currently very short on ruck options. We have ROB, Strachan, Thilthorpe and Berg... - and it's likely to get worse if we delist Berg (as now seems likely due to the number of list positions required). We're currently short 1 ruckman on our list, so bringing in 1 while delisting 2 is a bad idea.

Yep. Think that fairly definitively puts us in the box seat for Lukosius now. With Houston staying, Port won't have the picks to satisfy Gold Coast.
Gold Coast would be looking for future picks, which Port still have their first and second next year? I would think they are very much still in the race?

I know Mutineer thinks Dodson would be ready to step up and play AFL in his first season - but I think this is rare for ruckmen. Then again, Mutineer has seen Dodson play, while I have not.

Our list is currently very short on ruck options. We have ROB, Strachan, Thilthorpe and Berg... - and it's likely to get worse if we delist Berg (as now seems likely due to the number of list positions required). We're currently short 1 ruckman on our list, so bringing in 1 while delisting 2 is a bad idea.
The odds of a first year rookie ruckman being able to play year 1 is a rarity of the DoDo Egg proportions

Completely agree Dodson would likely be out of his depth, but would he really a downgrade on Strachan even in his first year? I’ve advocated to target Henry Smith or Max Heath but that is seemingly no chance of happening sadly.

I’d also like to keep Himmelberg over others OOC, but in the event that we lose him we’d at least have Turray effectively replacing him.

Keane situation to me is important is that his rankings are better than and more durable than Murray & Butts and he is contracted for 2025 and becomes a Free Agent. The problem is that he is on the Rookie List and to replace him will most likely need to find a list spot which is tight. Last year we held on to Himmelberg I think we should hold onto Keane in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast would be looking for future picks, which Port still have their first and second next year? I would think they are very much still in the race?
While that's true, Port have been briefing that they'd like to actually invest in the draft in the coming years. I certainly don't think this means Lukosius to us is a fait accompli or anything, just that logically Port have fewer resources than us (picks and cap space).

The more I think about it the more I think Himmelberg is the logical sixth player to cut (although I like him). Comparing to our list at the start of the year, our KPF depth changes would essentially be;

In: Lukosius, Turray, Welsh
Out: Burgess, Himmelberg, Gollant

We absolutely cannot retain an extra ruck/fwd prototype over a key defender. Yes, we’d once again be light in ruck stocks but Worrell, Butts and Murray have all been out for significant proportions of the last two years. Historically, ROB has been injury-free. While yes, it’s disappointing ROB would once again have no competition for his spot, it’s less disastrous than a scenario where two of Worrell/Butts/Murray are out and Borlase is our only defensive cover.

I'm pretty sure that Port can't trade their first next year due to the four year rule. From memory the rules are that you must make at least 1 first round pick in the draft every 4 years.

Their last first round pick was Josh Synn back in 2021

Port traded their 2022 and 2023 picks for JHF and traded their 2024 first rounder last year so under the rules I am pretty certain that their future first can't be traded.

Would they be allowed to use them? When is the last first rounder they used?
Doubt they get the Geelong benefit and are allowed to use next years

Any whispers on O'Brien going to Melbourne?

On Dodson - not sure he is fully ready to play AFL straight away but like Curtin I do think he could play some ''easier'' games to get a feel for it.

I would expect Dodson to be ready season 3

We won’t have the pick to get Dodson I don’t reckon with the players we might bring in

ROB not going anywhere - we would have been linked to a ruck by now if that was the case (established ruck) - no way we would go forward thinking Strachan

I'm pretty sure that Port can't trade their first next year due to the four year rule. From memory the rules are that you must make at least 1 first round pick in the draft every 4 years.

Their last first round pick was Josh Synn back in 2021

Port traded their 2022 and 2023 picks for JHF and traded their 2024 first rounder last year so under the rules I am pretty certain that their future first can't be traded.
They get credit for JHF, who was a #1 pick the year before. I guess that pushes their window back by 1 year.

and ROB goes down with an ACL in the first game, what would we do then? First rucking Tilthorpe is NOT an option

Strachan must be kept until we have another first ruck capable player on the list

I don't think there is any team we could get away with playing a Dodson as first ruck. We'd cop some dreadful beatings if we tried and bang up a teenager in the process.

On matters further down Port Road, Power have shown they are very willing to use future picks to get the player/s they really want, never discount them as a destination for home comers until the player says AFC

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think we are in a position to get rid of Strachan, our list management team have totally ignored our ruck department for years now. If we drafted a young developing ruck 3-4 years ago he would be ready to step in if needed. But now we are stuck with what we have for next year.

Ah okay

I know that there was a massive uproar from other clubs about Geelong smoothing out Bowes' deal and clubs wanted it stamped out, sounds like the AFL didn't do anything about it.

The AFL will most probably wait until a non-Vic club tries to exploit it before they shut it down.
I seem to recall Brisbane doing something similar with Daniher

and ROB goes down with an ACL in the first game, what would we do then? First rucking Tilthorpe is NOT an option

Strachan must be kept until we have another first ruck capable player on the list

I don't think there is any team we could get away with playing a Dodson as first ruck. We'd cop some dreadful beatings if we tried and bang up a teenager in the process.

On matters further down Port Road, Power have shown they are very willing to use future picks to get the player/s they really want, never discount them as a destination for home comers until the player says AFC
do the old richmond trick and play murphy in the ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back