List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we get a player like Max Holmes?

Holmes? What about Mannagh and Humphries and Dempsey. These blokes have jus come into the AFL and look like 100 gamers - takes most of our guys 3-4 years to start playing like this

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Holmes? What about Mannagh and Humphries and Dempsey. These blokes have jus come into the AFL and look like 100 gamers - takes most of our guys 3-4 years to start playing like this

The difference between backing in players at AFL level and not doing that

I don't think we need Berry and Crouch, only 1 should be in our 22 at any given time. Berry has leg power and breaks out of the contest zone, which is a point of difference that I like. He doesn't accumulate much yet, but I'd back him in to end up averaging in that 23-26 area. We routinely get our arses handed to us by midfields that don't rack up the stats that our guys do, so losing Crouch's 32 disposals is unlikely to matter too much if the 25 that replace it can be more damaging. But if we're going to keep Crouch as depth, then I'd move Berry on and see what the next batch have got.

I do know that both Crouch and Laird will be starting midfielders come round 1 next year. I'm not delusional.
I'm considerably off the Nicks train. I gave him his chance and showed patience. But he's a loser. It's time to go Matthew.

But... On the unfortunate chance he hasn't been sacked...

I'm confident that if he has a stay of execution, he will throw out this year and begin with a new theory. He will know...and he will have been told... about all the failings of the year. Many of these were his own failings. I think he will realise there is zero margin for him next year. If he rolls out the Laird Crouch midfield, he'll be sacked within a month. If Murphy, Walker and Smith underperform and hold their spots in the team, he'll be sacked in the first month.

Zero margin means zero tolerance for anyone underperforming.

I don't think we need Berry and Crouch, only 1 should be in our 22 at any given time. Berry has leg power and breaks out of the contest zone, which is a point of difference that I like. He doesn't accumulate much yet, but I'd back him in to end up averaging in that 23-26 area. We routinely get our arses handed to us by midfields that don't rack up the stats that our guys do, so losing Crouch's 32 disposals is unlikely to matter too much if the 25 that replace it can be more damaging. But if we're going to keep Crouch as depth, then I'd move Berry on and see what the next batch have got.

I do know that both Crouch and Laird will be starting midfielders come round 1 next year. I'm not delusional.
can you give me an example of someone who is a 8-12 disposals mid at 22 who becomes a 25-30 within a year more or so

i cannot think of one example

these guys that get big numbers consistently are doing it in juniors and just keep doing it

We develop ours to be SANFL players first. We select them out of elite pathways then develop them to master semi-professional league and then need to re-develop them at elite level again.

can you give me an example of someone who is a 8-12 disposals mid at 22 who becomes a 25-30 within a year more or so

these guys that get big numbers consistently are doing it in juniors and just keep doing it
Darcy parish went from 20ish to 30 at around age 23
Dangerfield from about 17-27 around that age

Averaged 14 from 56% TOG this year fighting with monster accumulators Laird and Crouch. Just factoring that out to 75% TOG gets him to 19. Averaged 18 in his second year, he's just another where learning our system has developed him into a lesser player. But removing the senior ball winners from the contest will see him pick up a fair bit of the slack.

Took Thommo 7 seasons to crack 25 average (25.2), his 3rd with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does 8-10 come from.
His end of year average has been between 9-17.6?

It's a fairly shallow analysis. Berry has been in the system 4 years. He's played half forward, he's played injured, he's played run with, he's played low TOG, he's been behind accumulating behemoths when in the midfield. The 2 years he's had continuity he averaged nearly 18 in his second and 19 this year if you equalise his possessions to 75% TOG. He screams 25 touch midfielder.

Last edited:
No list squeeze at the Suns, already down to 33 (-5) on the main list so got room for Rioli, Noble, Lombard and a couple more.

Salary cap shouldn't be a squeeze this year but maybe with a lot of re-signings next year they may want to move a couple on like Luko and Rosas. Don't think we'll get a bargain but it shouldn't be to hefty a price to say no thanks.

We need to upgrade the list so unskilled triers are no longer selected.
The list squeeze is because they're losing all of their additional rookie spots, and at least two need to be upgraded.

I'm considerably off the Nicks train. I gave him his chance and showed patience. But he's a loser. It's time to go Matthew.

But... On the unfortunate chance he hasn't been sacked...

I'm confident that if he has a stay of execution, he will throw out this year and begin with a new theory. He will know...and he will have been told... about all the failings of the year. Many of these were his own failings. I think he will realise there is zero margin for him next year. If he rolls out the Laird Crouch midfield, he'll be sacked within a month. If Murphy, Walker and Smith underperform and hold their spots in the team, he'll be sacked in the first month.

Zero margin means zero tolerance for anyone underperforming.
I am truly hopeful that this analysis is correct.

The Crows need to head hunt Chris Scott to be the next Crows coach. Tell him to write his own cheque, bring his own assistant's, and cull/recruit the players he wants to coach. There is no ifs, buts, or maybes ... The Crows need Chris Scott to take charge! Ricciuto needs to get this done.

The Crows need to head hunt Chris Scott to be the next Crows coach. Tell him to write his own cheque, bring his own assistant's, and cull/recruit the players he wants to coach. There is no ifs, buts, or maybes ... The Crows need Chris Scott to take charge! Ricciuto needs to get this done.
Pigs might fly.
But then again, we do like an ex Geelong coach.

We prefer an untried assistant on trainer wheels, and we are prepared to offer him contract extension for failure.

I agree with all of this. We are way too nice and seem to give in to our players demands instead of doing what's best for the club. Sloane and Tex should not have been given the option to go again.

We consistently play the nice guys and it is having a negative impact on our list profile and limiting our options come the end of year.
I don't think it's niceness, just a genuine belief we can't compete without the experience guys like Tex and Sloane bring.

I don't think it's niceness, just a genuine belief we can't compete without the experience guys like Tex and Sloane bring.
My daughter wanted her training wheels left on her bike

Yep I was the bad guy for taking them off when she was 6

Tex and Sloane and Laird and Smith are training wheels - take them off

It is also with deals to Berry and Borlase. Berry is one we should have moved on this year, we have an abundance of mids already that we can't fit in the middle. We are about to draft another. We should have traded him this year for whatever we could get to free up another list spot to draft someone in a position we are lacking.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back