List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Borlase re-signing makes me think we have heard from one of the potential incoming trades that they will not be coming to us.

Seems odd that we would sign him now and not wait until after trade week, we are limiting our options with who we could bring in now with limited spots available.

At some point this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's harder to break into a consistent top 4 side, which is at least in part a top 4 side because players coming into the side are ready-made (having given extra time to develop in the seconds).
I doubt rocket18 will understand this .....he's too quick to fly off the handle, to have given the practice any thought

Was footywire not the site that previously had Burgess OOC this year? Have they changed their minds or is this a different site?
I remember at the time of Burgess signing to the Crows, it was two years ....isn't 2 years the standard main list Contract minimum ?

We have 38 on main list, 5 Cat A Rookies (Borlase, Hamill, Keane, T Murray, Parnell) 1 Cat B rookie (Gallagher)

Players without a contract for 2025
Sloane (retired anyway)
McHenry
Gollant
Himmelberg
Hamill
Parnell

We can have a total list size of 44 (38,4,2 or 37,5,2 or 36,6,2) and we have to bring in 3 draft picks (less one for rookie upgrade).

I think the writing is on the wall for McHenry, Gollant, Parnell + Sloane retired. Neal-Bullen in, so we would be 36,4,1
Himmelberg likely trade (or FA/delist), Hamill maybe delisted as well 35,3,1

3 draft picks (lets assume one is Keane upgraded) - 38, 2, 1

Cumming and Lukoscius in? - 40,2,1

Surely two of Burgess/Smith/Milera/Strachan maybe even Cook/Jones/Schoenberg - get moved to rookie list - 38, 4, 1

What I dont know is with today's announcement for Borlase, does he have to be upgraded ??

Players out of contract 2025 - I'm only going by Footywire
Brodie Smith - retire
Chris Burgess - delist
Darcy Fogarty - extend
Harry Schoenberg - likely delist, depends on his 2025
Karl Gallagher - not sure - free hit, unless other Cat B rookies come along
Kieran Strachan - likely delist
Lachlan Murphy - please delist
Luke Nankervis - extend
Matt Crouch - ?? one more
Nick Murray - extend
Reilly O'Brien - ?? extend
Taylor Walker - retire
Toby Murray - extend
Wayne Milera - depend on his 2025
Zac Taylor - extend

Attachments

• Adelaide FC 2024.xlsx
    10.6 KB · Views: 2
Ask 100 people, and you'd probably have 80 say "4 is enough" and 20 say "we need Borlase as a 5th KPD for depth". You & Reid are in the 20, the BF sheeple are in the 80. Not quite sure where I stand myself.
As an example, this year we were scratching around for coverage KPP .....Worrell, Murray, and Butts all out

I'll be amazed if Borlaise makes it, for all the reasons Mutineer outlined, slow, and really bad turning circle ....Myself, I'd prefer to trade in a player that can Ruck & play KPD ....would Frampton have been a better hold in that regard than Borlaise

I suspect no to the above, as COLL offered real opportunities to play AFL

Interesting that HAW have 4 Rucks on their list .....FREO I think are similar .....if we lose ROB and Himmelberg, we're dead in the water next year

I remember at the time of Burgess signing to the Crows, it was two years ....isn't 2 years the standard main list Contract minimum ?
There's no set minimum when trading for players... but few players would transplant themselves to a different state without the security of a 2-year (minimum) contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no set minimum when trading for players... but few players would transplant themselves to a different state without the security of a 2-year (minimum) contract.
Could be wrong, but I thought the main differential between the Rookie List & Main List these days, is 12 months versus a standard 2 year Contract .....3 years for 1st round Draftees ??

Could be wrong, but I thought the main differential between the Rookie List & Main List these days, is 12 months versus a standard 2 year Contract .....3 years for 1st round Draftees ??
That's when players are newly drafted, entering the AFL system for the first time. It doesn't apply to players who are being traded, or re-signing.

Would any club want Schoenberg? If we pay someone out he’d be high on the list, but not sure he has any trade value at this point

Another club might take a punt on Schoenberg but probably not

I'd suggest the player with the least value is probably Murphy, a dime a dozen forward that every side has one of (usually better). But he wouldn't be paid out due to his extremely high standing at the club.

Brodie Smith another good candidate, would have no interest as a 33 year old

But those are ruthless list decisions that we wouldn't make

Another club might take a punt on Schoenberg but probably not

I'd suggest the player with the least value is probably Murphy, a dime a dozen forward that every side has one of (usually better). But he wouldn't be paid out due to his extremely high standing at the club.

Brodie Smith another good candidate, would have no interest as a 33 year old

But those are ruthless list decisions that we wouldn't make
Bad timing because of injury, but Milera would possibly be one with some trade value if we needed to free up a list spot?

Bad timing because of injury, but Milera would possibly be one with some trade value if we needed to free up a list spot?

I reckon he'd have trade value for sure. The others I mentioned would be more of a risk-free payout where we aren't losing out on potential value

Ok. Can't argue with that.
But surely he doesn't make these decisions entirely on his own.
That’s true, but in the end the buck stops with the manager.
So as supporters we can only call for the head it’s the club that can make the distinction as to who is the issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back