List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering if anyone else here thinks Matthew Allen from Glenelg deserves a rookie spot on an AFL list? 26 year old, goal kicking midfielder who is a Vice Captain, indicating the Bays rate him as a person and as a leader. In Round 19 he had 30 disposals, 14 marks and kicked 3 goals. Across the season he has averaged 20 disposals, 5 tackles and 6 marks and 3 clearances a game. Just thinking he would certainly be an upgrade on several current Crows players. To me it seems like he has earnt a shot at the AFL, and is too good to be playing SANFL.

Just wondering if anyone else here thinks Matthew Allen from Glenelg deserves a rookie spot on an AFL list? 26 year old, goal kicking midfielder who is a Vice Captain, indicating the Bays rate him as a person and as a leader. In Round 19 he had 30 disposals, 14 marks and kicked 3 goals. Across the season he has averaged 20 disposals, 5 tackles and 6 marks and 3 clearances a game. Just thinking he would certainly be an upgrade on several current Crows players. To me it seems like he has earnt a shot at the AFL, and is too good to be playing SANFL.
Nah, he's SANFL level good but no more.

Not him but i did think had Port had Liam McBean up forward instead of that old broken wharf pier dixon, at least he might have pulled in a few contested marks and banged in a few goals. Mcbean is a very hard player to contain and would well be worth a rookie spot somewhere imo

Not him but i did think had Port had Liam McBean up forward instead of that old broken wharf pier dixon, at least he might have pulled in a few contested marks and banged in a few goals. Mcbean is a very hard player to contain and would well be worth a rookie spot somewhere imo
Not at 30 he probably isnt.

Interesting to see how confident people are on Cumming joining but then reports he’s touring both clubs this week. Strange to think he hasn’t made his mind up yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7896.png
    IMG_7896.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 63
Interesting to see how confident people are on Cumming joining but then reports he’s touring both clubs this week. Strange to think he hasn’t made his mind up yet.

I'm not confident at all. Gut feel is that the preference of Cumming is Port but there's a domino or 2 that could/need to fall that is the cause of the delay. With Lukoscious I think the delay is potentially that initial discussions on trade value is too far apart for him to go public with a choice. But I also think we're more desperate than Port for an immediate uplift and using future first, even though it could be pick 4, delays any judgement on list management for 12 months. And Roo should be gone by then. Unless we create a paid role for him, which would be right up our alley.

Smart he is doing his due diligence.

We have the higher offer, but that is no guarantee...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H
I'm not confident at all. Gut feel is that the preference for Cumming is Port but there's a domino or 2 that could/need to fall that is the cause of the delay. With Lukoscious I think the delay is potentially that initial discussions on trade value is too far apart for him to go public with a choice. But I also think we're more desperate than Port for an immediate uplift and using future first, even though it could be pick 4, delays any judgement on list management for 12 months. And Roo should be gone by then. Unless we create a paid role for him, which would be right up our alley.
aha good call.

Yep it’s weird how confident everyone was on Cumming but then he clearly wanted to see PA when he requested. Lands us with spending all year saying we will be aggressive and like you said forcing ourselves to pay overs for Luko.
If we can land Cummings maybe it might help us to have some more balls to play hard ball. Personally I am happy with a 2nd coming back with Luko for a F1. Because I think we lack class and Luko is that whilst I get he’s not A grade.

Yeah no he isnt.

I know people will say Murphy, but Matt couldnt play small forward in the AFL. He's much like Mitch Grigg was.
Mate, he is 193cm ... Nothing small forward about him LOL. He could play that high half forward role rotating through the mids. He has both an inside and outside game, has some speed, a decent tank, a penetrating left boot, and is an excellent mark. I would be playing Allen ahead of Murphy, McHenry, Jones, Berry, Laird, Pedlar, Cook, Gollant, Hamill, Burgess, Schoenberg, Milera, Smith, Parnell and Sholl

Grigg was a midfielder trying to get a game against Sloane, Thompson, Dangerfield, Crouch and Crouch. Our current midfield of Dawson, Laird, Crouch, Soligo, Berry and Rankine is not as formidable as our 2014-15 midfield. Additionally, given that Grigg was a dual Magarey Medallist as a midfielder, he certainly had a fair bit of ability, and was not a small forward.

McBean could be recruited as key forward / ruck back up as an interim measure. Basically filling a void until the new recruits are mature enough to do the job, similar to a J-Pod situation. McBean would be a better option at AFL level than Burgess, Himmelberg and Strachan. Given Tex won't be playing every game, McBean could be a valuable option alongside Thilthorpe and Fogarty. If Thilthorpe goes down again, McBean would be a straight up replacement.

Mate, he is 193cm ... Nothing small forward about him LOL. He could play that high half forward role rotating through the mids. He has both an inside and outside game, has some speed, a decent tank, a penetrating left boot, and is an excellent mark. I would be playing Allen ahead of Murphy, McHenry, Jones, Berry, Laird, Pedlar, Cook, Gollant, Hamill, Burgess, Schoenberg, Milera, Smith, Parnell and Sholl

Grigg was a midfielder trying to get a game against Sloane, Thompson, Dangerfield, Crouch and Crouch. Our current midfield of Dawson, Laird, Crouch, Soligo, Berry and Rankine is not as formidable as our 2014-15 midfield. Additionally, given that Grigg was a dual Magarey Medallist as a midfielder, he certainly had a fair bit of ability, and was not a small forward.

McBean could be recruited as key forward / ruck back up as an interim measure. Basically filling a void until the new recruits are mature enough to do the job, similar to a J-Pod situation. McBean would be a better option at AFL level than Burgess, Himmelberg and Strachan. Given Tex won't be playing every game, McBean could be a valuable option alongside Thilthorpe and Fogarty. If Thilthorpe goes down again, McBean would be a straight up replacement.
Half of those guys werent in the AFL side to begin with, most of them dont play the role you're suggesting Allen plays at AFL level and he's nowhere near the level of the majority of them.

Dont get into list management.

I am happy with a 2nd coming back with Luko for a F1. Because I think we lack class and Luko is that whilst I get he’s not A grade.
Agree. If our F1 can unlock ANB and Luko while keeping our 2024 draft hand intact (OK hopefully we won't be paying a 2nd for ANB), and we end up with those plus pick 4, a second and Welsh, that's a win IMO. And maybe our 2025 1st will be further down the order with those players and a bit of patented organic growth.

Half of those guys werent in the AFL side to begin with, most of them dont play the role you're suggesting Allen plays at AFL level and he's nowhere near the level of the majority of them.

Dont get into list management.
If I was the Crows list manager, the vast majority of the players I listed wouldn't be on the Crows list to start with. Many of these players are much maligned within the Crows BF community, especially over the past 18 months. Additionally, these players played a combined 160 games across the season, with 8 players playing 10+ games across the year, and every player playing at least 1 AFL match this year. Given you thought of Allen as a small forward in your previous post and compared him to Mitch Grigg, how closely have you watched Allen this year?

A player like Allen playing a high half forward role releases Rankine and Rachele to spend more time in the midfield at the expense of players like Laird and Berry, creating a more dynamic midfield that the Crows sorely need. Allen also has the potential to play on the wing at the expense of players like Sholl, Milera (who is regularly injured), Cook or Jones; additionally Allen on the wing releases Hinge back to the half back flank ahead of Smith, Milera, Jones and Hamill. Given Allen's size and frame, he also has the potential to play that Tom Lynch role at the expense of players like Gollant. I have also seen the likes of McHenry, Schoenberg, Pedlar and Murphy play that high half forward role which I have proposed for Allen; none of them have been successful in making that role their own over the past few years; in that group there are 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick, and a rookie draft pick. I also suspect that if Allen was involved in a full-time AFL environment, with that level of training and resources at his disposal, he would make significant strides in his development that would further enhance his credentials ahead of the players listed above.

I am not saying that Allen would be the best player in the team, I am not saying Allen is a prospective Brownlow Medallist, I am saying Allen is a role player with multiple strings to his bow, that frees up other players to play in more damaging positions. I am also saying that Allen is a better player than several players on the Crows list who have played AFL football regularly. Given this, it is my thought that Allen would be worthy of a rookie pick, and taking a leaf out of the Geelong recruiting textbook that seems to have worked wonders for them over the past decade or so (Tom Stewart, Bradley Close, Shaun Mannagh and Lawson Humphries in recent years).

If I was the Crows list manager, the vast majority of the players I listed wouldn't be on the Crows list to start with. Many of these players are much maligned within the Crows BF community, especially over the past 18 months. Additionally, these players played a combined 160 games across the season, with 8 players playing 10+ games across the year, and every player playing at least 1 AFL match this year. Given you thought of Allen as a small forward in your previous post and compared him to Mitch Grigg, how closely have you watched Allen this year?

A player like Allen playing a high half forward role releases Rankine and Rachele to spend more time in the midfield at the expense of players like Laird and Berry, creating a more dynamic midfield that the Crows sorely need. Allen also has the potential to play on the wing at the expense of players like Sholl, Milera (who is regularly injured), Cook or Jones; additionally Allen on the wing releases Hinge back to the half back flank ahead of Smith, Milera, Jones and Hamill. Given Allen's size and frame, he also has the potential to play that Tom Lynch role at the expense of players like Gollant. I have also seen the likes of McHenry, Schoenberg, Pedlar and Murphy play that high half forward role which I have proposed for Allen; none of them have been successful in making that role their own over the past few years; in that group there are 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick, and a rookie draft pick. I also suspect that if Allen was involved in a full-time AFL environment, with that level of training and resources at his disposal, he would make significant strides in his development that would further enhance his credentials ahead of the players listed above.

I am not saying that Allen would be the best player in the team, I am not saying Allen is a prospective Brownlow Medallist, I am saying Allen is a role player with multiple strings to his bow, that frees up other players to play in more damaging positions. I am also saying that Allen is a better player than several players on the Crows list who have played AFL football regularly. Given this, it is my thought that Allen would be worthy of a rookie pick, and taking a leaf out of the Geelong recruiting textbook that seems to have worked wonders for them over the past decade or so (Tom Stewart, Bradley Close, Shaun Mannagh and Lawson Humphries in recent years).
I didnt think of Allen as a small forward at all, but you said he'd be better than Lachie Murphy, who is.

He'll be 27 in 3 weeks, and has already spent 4 years on an AFL list.

ahh, I thought he was a bit younger, fair enough
He already had 4 years at Richmond and didn't really make an impression. One of those players who dominates at the lower level but not at AFL level.

Reminds me a bit of Adam Richardson... won the Ken Farmer multiple times in the SANFL but useless at AFL level when we gave him a shot at it.

I don’t think we need more role players in our midfield. It’s why I was meh on retaining Berry. People confuse our midfield quality issue with a quantity issue. We actually have decent midfield depth, just need a couple guns (one if Izak becomes full time) to lead the way.

Haven’t had midfield depth since Riccuito, McLeod, Edwards, Goodwin and Johnson.

He already had 4 years at Richmond and didn't really make an impression. One of those players who dominates at the lower level but not at AFL level.

Reminds me a bit of Adam Richardson... won the Ken Farmer multiple times in the SANFL but useless at AFL level when we gave him a shot at it.
I think Boyd from Norwood would be well worth a shot on a rookie list. Maybe a bit short for a real lead ruck, but his work in close -just strength and his ability to win clearances is unreal. Surely he could come in and do a good job at AFL level

McBean is quicker across the deck and can actually pick it up off the ground, hes more like a taller Brant Chambers.

Very good SANFL player

I think Boyd from Norwood would be well worth a shot on a rookie list. Maybe a bit short for a real lead ruck, but his work in close -just strength and his ability to win clearances is unreal. Surely he could come in and do a good job at AFL level
Maybe.

I reckon if anyone is gonna give him a crack its this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back