Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That power running at around 3.19 in that clip was outstanding, against seniors in the SANFL, and like I've said about him, too many people potting him for silly reasons, another one that has so much improvement to come, his tackling is first class and while some people have him anywhere from pick 4 to pick 9 he's a better player than some people think.
Yep some team is going to get a gun in Draper at pick 5-10 and its probably the Crows I reckon for sure.

Faull continued his path back to full match fitness with a solid performance at the Champs for Vic Country. Even when he doesn't find a lot of the footy Faull always manages to have an impact with his scrappy and competitive play creating scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates.

Am I seeing things, or is that quite the flaw in the technique of his kicking action!?

It's going to be very interesting how each team/recruiter ranks the KPFs in this draft.

With us, I do think we have to take into account that we may prefer (a) a more contested marking type, and/or (b) someone who can pinch-hit in the ruck effectively.

Shanahan had probably his best Champs performance in the Allies final game of the series. Matched up on Riak Andrew, the two had a ding dong battle with both having some big moments to impress the scouts. Shanahan probably just shaded the contest, taking some nice grabs and booting three majors.

Where’s this bloke tipped to go? Looks a player too.

That power running at around 3.19 in that clip was outstanding, against seniors in the SANFL, and like I've said about him, too many people potting him for silly reasons, another one that has so much improvement to come, his tackling is first class and while some people have him anywhere from pick 4 to pick 9 he's a better player than some people think.

Why is he not in the conversation with O’Sullivan and Smillie?

Am I seeing things, or is that quite the flaw in the technique of his kicking action!?

It's going to be very interesting how each team/recruiter ranks the KPFs in this draft.

With us, I do think we have to take into account that we may prefer (a) a more contested marking type, and/or (b) someone who can pinch-hit in the ruck effectively.
I think so based on the Teakle role. Gerryn or Sims might suit that role. Shanahan perhaps could ruck as well, he's quite athletic. Gerryn and Shanahan might be better kicks technique wise than Faull. Should be interesting to see the rankings.

Why is he not in the conversation with O’Sullivan and Smillie?
He could be. After last seasons champs where he was SA MVP and named in the AA team I had Draper and FOS clear from the rest of the field. He then played a few SANFL seniors games and had his struggles. He tested relatively poorly in the pre-season, but then was shut down with shin stress fracture a couple of days after testing. He was out for a couple of months, getting back just in time for the champs and super rusty. It made sense for people to bump him down a rung or two given his struggles but if he puts together a strong close to the season he could still push himself back up into pick 1 convo.

Who are the real competitors from the too few picks and KPF’s roos_fanatic08 , Souup , Sphynx , noobermensch
I think the best competitor from the available KPF's is easily Jonty Faull. Its the one reason I've had him leading that pack. He pressures and scraps, he launches at packs. He knows when and how to use his body in marking contests. Not the smoothest or most athletic of the bunch but he's very good below his knees, has good knowledge of leading patterns and space with enough pace to create separation on a lead.

Shanahan reminds me of Harry Jones. He's a smooth moving athlete that can looks great launching at a footy when he's given a clear run, but he lacks some of the other bits of the puzzle. Super talent though if you can teach him the nuances of forward play.

Shanahan reminds me of Harry Jones. He's a smooth moving athlete that can looks great launching at a footy when he's given a clear run, but he lacks some of the other bits of the puzzle. Super talent though if you can teach him the nuances of forward play.

You lost me at Harry Jones - Pass!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He could be. After last seasons champs where he was SA MVP and named in the AA team I had Draper and FOS clear from the rest of the field. He then played a few SANFL seniors games and had his struggles. He tested relatively poorly in the pre-season, but then was shut down with shin stress fracture a couple of days after testing. He was out for a couple of months, getting back just in time for the champs and super rusty. It made sense for people to bump him down a rung or two given his struggles but if he puts together a strong close to the season he could still push himself back up into pick 1 convo.

I think the best competitor from the available KPF's is easily Jonty Faull. Its the one reason I've had him leading that pack. He pressures and scraps, he launches at packs. He knows when and how to use his body in marking contests. Not the smoothest or most athletic of the bunch but he's very good below his knees, has good knowledge of leading patterns and space with enough pace to create separation on a lead.

Who would you say is the best field kick and/or set shot out of the key forwards?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the real competitors from the too few picks and KPF’s roos_fanatic08 , Souup , Sphynx , noobermensch

If you had to pick the biggest competitor of the top tier mids it would be Lombard, but he obviously won’t be available to us. He is a real gritty combative type. Of the other top kids I’d probably have them ranked:

FOS > Lalor > Smillie & Langford > Draper > Smith

Later on in the draft it would have to be Bo Allen, Tom Gross and Cody Anderson. Those three are real physical types, who hate losing and will put in repeat efforts again and again to try win the footy.

For the KPF’s Faull and Gerreyn would be well above the rest. Armstrong, Sims and Charlie Nicholls would be next best. I really need to see more out of the competitiveness out of the Whitlocks. Matt Whitlock has shown plenty of competitiveness though in the back half.

Who would you say is the best field kick and/or set shot out of the key forwards?

Gerreyn > Shanahan > Armstrong > Matt Whitlock > Sims > Jack Whitlock > Nicholls

It’s a shame that Zac McInnes hasn’t really come along this year. He is a really nice set shot for goal.

Playing senior WAFL post Champs for Peel, Allan acquitted himself well in his old third tall & rebounding defender role. The most impressive aspect of his performance has to be his ferocious tackling display, registering 12 on the official stats sheet along side many other pressure acts. On a day where the Peel defenders were often content to chip the ball sideways to each other, Allan had a couple of passages of play where he took the game on with dash and dare to break the lines and creating scoring opportunities.

Playing senior WAFL post Champs for Peel, Allan acquitted himself well in his old third tall & rebounding defender role. The most impressive aspect of his performance has to be his ferocious tackling display, registering 12 on the official stats sheet along side many other pressure acts. On a day where the Peel defenders were often content to chip the ball sideways to each other, Allan had a couple of passages of play where he took the game on with dash and dare to break the lines and creating scoring opportunities.

For this year's draft, super bias when it comes to this kid to the point that, IMO, we should take Allan as our mid - so versatile and fercious that he would complement our side so much!!
Play him HBF and he releases B.Scott or Kerch.
Add him in the midfield rotation and there is that tall, grunt mid that has dash.
Play him HFF and he can rotate with Sheez, Curtis, Zurhaar or whoever they want to rotate as he is strong overhead and no problems finding the sticks..
He displays very good leadership qualities.
Fanastic tenacity.
Hands not as clean as Smith, FOS or Draper.
Right foot is suspect, heavily favours his left.
Footy IQ as good as any.
Not selfish as player.

We Vic's sleep on his kid but if he played for a Coates League side, he'd be knocking top 5 easily!!

For this year's draft, super bias when it comes to this kid to the point that, IMO, we should take Allan as our mid - so versatile and fercious that he would complement our side so much!!
Add him in the midfield rotation and there is that tall, grunt mid that has dash.
Play him HFF and he can rotate with Sheez, Curtis, Zurhaar or whoever they want to rotate as he is strong overhead and no problems finding the sticks..
Fanastic tenacity.
Footy IQ as good as any.
Not selfish as player.

We Vic's sleep on his kid but if he played for a Coates League side, he'd be knocking top 5 easily!!
I can see you're a charitable soul - it's important to give The Westaustralian something to whinge about now they've accounted for Simpson

Fanastic tenacity.
Footy IQ as good as any.
Not selfish as player.

I really like him but the only way we'd take him is if we trade back in the order.
He reminds me of a quicker Darcy Tucker. Allen's kicking technique is a bit awkward but he's got toughness.
I'd probably prefer Langford over Allen as he's got a bit more running power to my eyes, tackles well but needs to work on his ball use. They both look good though as that 190cm mid/wing.

I really like him but the only way we'd take him is if we trade back in the order.
He reminds me of a quicker Darcy Tucker. Allen's kicking technique is a bit awkward but he's got toughness.
I'd probably prefer Langford over Allen as he's got a bit more running power to my eyes, tackles well but needs to work on his ball use. They both look good though as that 190cm mid/wing.
Kids who go in hard with repeat efforts, defensively sound and have very good to great skills all round would just about round out 4 years of building this midfield - Lalor, Langford, Allan, Gross...that 50/50 ball that Stephens shirked against GC on the weekend....these 4 wouldn't have hesitated.

4 years of taking the best available, maybe it's time to get the best available type of midfielder/KPP/SF...definately don't need anymore Med-Fwd or hybrid fwds that's for sure!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back