Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kids who go in hard with repeat efforts, defensively sound and have very good to great skills all round would just about round out 4 years of building this midfield - Lalor, Langford, Allan, Gross...that 50/50 ball that Stephens shirked against GC on the weekend....these 4 wouldn't have hesitated.

4 years of taking the best available, maybe it's time to get the best available type of midfielder/KPP/SF...definately don't need anymore Med-Fwd or hybrid fwds that's for sure!!
Whoever we pick this year and next needs to be able to win or halve 50/50 contests and have footy smarts as a bare minimum.

Kids who go in hard with repeat efforts, defensively sound and have very good to great skills all round would just about round out 4 years of building this midfield - Lalor, Langford, Allan, Gross...that 50/50 ball that Stephens shirked against GC on the weekend....these 4 wouldn't have hesitated.

4 years of taking the best available, maybe it's time to get the best available type of midfielder/KPP/SF...definately don't need anymore Med-Fwd or hybrid fwds that's for sure!!
The loss of TT makes me think you take the best available talent. Now if the club rates Trainor/Lalor and thinks they can move from pick 2/3 to 5/6 and get one of them and another kid like Langford/Kako/Travaglia/Faull/Gerryn/Shanahan/Whitlocks etc. then I wouldn't be mad at all if they decided to do that.
I think this weekend's VM vs VC game might tell us everything we need to know in that regard if a few dominate.

The loss of TT makes me think you take the best available talent. Now if the club rates Trainor/Lalor and thinks they can move from pick 2/3 to 5/6 and get one of them and another kid like Langford/Kako/Travaglia/Faull/Gerryn/Shanahan/Whitlocks etc. then I wouldn't be mad at all if they decided to do that.
I think this weekend's VM vs VC game might tell us everything we need to know in that regard if a few dominate.
Hear what your saying like a lot of North supporters but l just don't see a TT in this draft, just a sad loss for the side that, unfortunately, we have to play catch again drafting and developing a player.
The only silver lining in this whole TT saga as it's helped Wardlaw and Sheez get more exposure and time on the ball in situtation where Clarko would've have rolled in TT at the stoppage.

Last edited:
If you had to pick the biggest competitor of the top tier mids it would be Lombard, but he obviously won’t be available to us. He is a real gritty combative type. Of the other top kids I’d probably have them ranked:

FOS > Lalor > Smillie & Langford > Draper > Smith

Later on in the draft it would have to be Bo Allen, Tom Gross and Cody Anderson. Those three are real physical types, who hate losing and will put in repeat efforts again and again to try win the footy.

For the KPF’s Faull and Gerreyn would be well above the rest. Armstrong, Sims and Charlie Nicholls would be next best. I really need to see more out of the competitiveness out of the Whitlocks. Matt Whitlock has shown plenty of competitiveness though in the back half.
Hi Roos_Fanatic08
You mention Cody Anderson and you are perhaps the only serious draft watcher who has. I know he is tenacious but I thought pretty scrappy and low skilled at the same time.
What are you seeing that I am not?

Hear what your saying like a lot of North supporters but l just don't see a TT in this draft, just a sad loss for the side that, unfortunately, we have to play catch again drafting and developing a player.
The only silver lining in this whole TT saga as it's helped Wardlaw and Sheez get more exposure and time on the ball in situtation where Clarko would've have rolled in TT at the stoppage.
I'm not saying we need a direct TT replacement, that's probably Zane. I think we still lack a bit of class mid/wing.
We don't have that Shai Bolton or Rankine who makes something out of nothing. They are hard to find though.
We definitely need more transition runners who can apply tackling pressure.

Hi Roos_Fanatic08
You mention Cody Anderson and you are perhaps the only serious draft watcher who has. I know he is tenacious but I thought pretty scrappy and low skilled at the same time.
What are you seeing that I am not?

I really love his intensity and competitiveness, you can’t teach the sort of effort he provides. He’ll scrap for the footy, but if he loses you get 2,3,4 repeat efforts from him to try and impact defensively.

He also has strength through his hips, good balance and natural footy IQ that allows him to have an impact either through the midfield or when resting forward. His disposal by hand isn’t actually too bad, but his kicking definitely needs work. To me though, his kicking isn’t a technical issue, more just a lack of composure, as he tends to rush and just bomb it forward. So there is scope for improvement.

I don’t think he’ll be a world beater but I think players like that can really carve out a niche at AFL level if given the opportunity, either as a lockdown half forward or as a tagger.

A ding dong battle between the two best ruckman in the WAFL Colts this season elevated both their games as they strove to assert center square dominance. Although Smiths team won the game, Gerreyn probably just shaded the matchup with his ability to find more of the football on the spread and damage with his lovely skills. He was also able to hit the scoreboard and though he won fewer hit outs, some of those he did win were lovely touch deflections right down the throat of his midfielders to release attacking moves. Smith was able to use his greater length to give his midfielders first use more often, and was able to use his size around the ground to effect aerial contests.

Anyone suggesting we can use our 1st pick for a tall is kidding themselves.
Sydney have 8 top tier midfielders and absolutely destroyed ours.

We need to get as many top rated A grade mids while we have picks in the 1-5 range.

Hoping like hell that FOS is available at our pick.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who’s the most versatile mid at the pointy end?

Sydney flick blokes between the centre, wings, hf and hb. None of this bullshit about needing to play in their favourite position. They’re able to adapt.
It seems like Lalor, Smillie and FOS get mentioned as the most versatile.

But FOS probably brings something that we need more of with his combo of running and defensive pressure.

We could have these midfielders...

LDU
Wardlaw
Sheezel
McKercher
FOS
Powell
Simpkin
Phillips
Duursma

That's five A+ talents (6 if you count Duursma) and the other three are pretty good, too.

Sid Draper, 27 disposals, 10 tackles and 9 clearances at senior level against North Adelaide to go with his 23 disposals on his debut! So 2 senior games and 50 disposals at SANFL level against men and he's only just turned 18.
This young man can footy, he's a pure mid but if given time can play other positions, he has the speed, skill and knowhow to execute fine passages of play and get out of trouble.

For some of the people saying Josh Smillie is over rated and doesn't deserve to be in the top couple of picks, as Spock would say "that's not logical", he's actually improved a little on last year, its just that people don't see what he can become, they only see what he's not doing now.

Finn O'Sullivan and Sam Lalor play tomorrow against Vic Metro in the final Championship game and even better its the final, pressure, nerves and quite possibly a couple of big games from some of the boys and remember that Finn and Sam have only had a couple of games back so like the negative views on Josh and Sid, those two young stars will be underdone but I'm sure there will be a few people out there that will pot one or both players if they don't "cut loose tomorrow".

Berry vs Kako, Armstrong and Sims vs Jack Whitlock and Jonty Faull, Smith, Gross and Smillie vs O'Sullivan, Lalor and Harvey Langford as well as Oliver vs Lindsay and Duursma, Matt Whitlock {depending where he starts} vs Trainor and Cole, and some others to keep an eye on, a few questions will arise before the match: Will Harvey Langford get another BOG and win the medal and race up the draft boards?
Which small forward lights it up in "the big dance"?
Which midfield prevails and gives their forwards better service?
Who becomes the number 1/ draft choice after this game and is it settled or is it someone else?
Will the beautiful kicking of Oliver and Lindsay go to another level?
Which forward can win out in the biggest game, with the most pressure and show what they are capable of, for the future?
Is Luke Trainor a very good 3rd tall who can intercept or is he a bona fide key defender in the future and worthy of a high pick {pick 3,4 or 5} in this years national draft? 🧐

After yesterday’s demolition we are in a good space to get top picks in 2024 and probably again in 2025.

You would have to think… have to think … that by 2030 we have one of the strongest teams in the league

Many of you who won’t have lived through the 1993-2000 block of time have no idea how good it feels knowing every week you are go expecting the win as the norm

After yesterday’s demolition we are in a good space to get top picks in 2024 and probably again in 2025.
I'm not sure its worth self-flagellating that much about.

Sydney smashed the Hawks by a similar margin earlier in the season, as well as the Blues and the Suns by around 9 goals a piece.

They're just on another level this year.

You would have to think… have to think … that by 2030 we have one of the strongest teams in the league

Many of you who won’t have lived through the 1993-2000 block of time have no idea how good it feels knowing every week you are go expecting the win as the norm
It's one game. Geelong beat Sydney by 93 points last year and now Sydney is on top of the ladder.

Sid Draper, 27 disposals, 10 tackles and 9 clearances at senior level against North Adelaide to go with his 23 disposals on his debut! So 2 senior games and 50 disposals at SANFL level against men and he's only just turned 18.
This young man can footy, he's a pure mid but if given time can play other positions, he has the speed, skill and knowhow to execute fine passages of play and get out of trouble.

For some of the people saying Josh Smillie is over rated and doesn't deserve to be in the top couple of picks, as Spock would say "that's not logical", he's actually improved a little on last year, its just that people don't see what he can become, they only see what he's not doing now.

Finn O'Sullivan and Sam Lalor play tomorrow against Vic Metro in the final Championship game and even better its the final, pressure, nerves and quite possibly a couple of big games from some of the boys and remember that Finn and Sam have only had a couple of games back so like the negative views on Josh and Sid, those two young stars will be underdone but I'm sure there will be a few people out there that will pot one or both players if they don't "cut loose tomorrow".

Berry vs Kako, Armstrong and Sims vs Jack Whitlock and Jonty Faull, Smith, Gross and Smillie vs O'Sullivan, Lalor and Harvey Langford as well as Oliver vs Lindsay and Duursma, Matt Whitlock {depending where he starts} vs Trainor and Cole, and some others to keep an eye on, a few questions will arise before the match: Will Harvey Langford get another BOG and win the medal and race up the draft boards?
Which small forward lights it up in "the big dance"?
Which midfield prevails and gives their forwards better service?
Who becomes the number 1/ draft choice after this game and is it settled or is it someone else?
Will the beautiful kicking of Oliver and Lindsay go to another level?
Which forward can win out in the biggest game, with the most pressure and show what they are capable of, for the future?
Is Luke Trainor a very good 3rd tall who can intercept or is he a bona fide key defender in the future and worthy of a high pick {pick 3,4 or 5} in this years national draft? 🧐

Draper having a hot final few months may be our best opportunity to potentially get FOS at #3 imo.

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back