Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FOS is the only player in everyone's top 5.
We should finish with the 3rd pick and even if we won against Freo, Pies, Melb and Carl, giving us 6 wins, we probably still end up with the 3rd by the end of the season.

Anyway, how viable is it to split pick 3? I don't think FOS will be there at 3 for those who want this kid.
As much as l like Jagga, he doesn't suit our mix and the more he plays for Tigers VFL, the greater he'll go to Richmond if not FOS.
WC would be all over the FOS.
And we're left with Smillie whom all wanted a few months ago.

Could we threaten to take Lombard at 3 and force pick swaps with GC?
Could Adelaide feel that Draper might be taken by Saints and looking to move up with us?

Send 3 for Adel 5 & 29
Send 5 to GC for 7 & 20..maybe even a F2 for their 10?

Leaves us with a draft hand of 7,10,20,22 & 29?

As many have said, which recruiting team is going to fall in love with this crop to take as their first pick will likely come on the night considering how even this draft is...unless some of these kids explode in the next 5 or 6 weeks?

The main reason FOS is in everyone's top five (apart from his talent) is that we're all waiting for him to actually play some footy. He hasn't had a chance to really disappoint everyone yet.
Fair enough.

So unless he plays a good bunch of games then his rating is just speculation based on last year?

Fair enough.

So unless he plays a good bunch of games then his rating is just speculation based on last year?
Its definitely more speculative than others at this stage. His strong season last year is a concrete data point, no doubt about it. There's a reason why people didn't jump off immediately with his relatively poor performances at the Champs.

I don't expect it to be the case, but yes if he continues to struggle to close out the season the shine on him will diminish.

We should finish with the 3rd pick and even if we won against Freo, Pies, Melb and Carl, giving us 6 wins, we probably still end up with the 3rd by the end of the season.

Anyway, how viable is it to split pick 3? I don't think FOS will be there at 3 for those who want this kid.
As much as l like Jagga, he doesn't suit our mix and the more he plays for Tigers VFL, the greater he'll go to Richmond if not FOS.
WC would be all over the FOS.
And we're left with Smillie whom all wanted a few months ago.

Could we threaten to take Lombard at 3 and force pick swaps with GC?
Could Adelaide feel that Draper might be taken by Saints and looking to move up with us?

Send 3 for Adel 5 & 29
Send 5 to GC for 7 & 20..maybe even a F2 for their 10?

Leaves us with a draft hand of 7,10,20,22 & 29?

As many have said, which recruiting team is going to fall in love with this crop to take as their first pick will likely come on the night considering how even this draft is...unless some of these kids explode in the next 5 or 6 weeks?

I'm only moving back if Thursfield is getting the same player he really wants.

I'm not moving back for needs.

Again, FOS in our side would be a weapon probably not containable by only but a few sides when McKercher is on the other wing.

I don't see as good a fit anywhere else.

FOS might not end up the best player from this draft, but I think he has the potential to be the best player possible for North in our current situation.

He's a huge runner, he has a very good defensive side, he's awesome overhead and he's an absolutely lethal ball user. He's an aerial option on the wing for defensive transition also.

We are one of the very few clubs in the AFL capable of deploying him on a wing, rather than inside in the future (I'd argue Freo and GC are the others) and we are probably the only club of those 3 in the comp with the availability to get him.

I'm not even joking when I say he's like a young Robbie Flower, think about that for a second implanting that sort of player on a wing in our side side at the minute.

Now think about the point in which Hardeman and Goater are back and McKercher occupies that other wing and gets the ball forward of center.

Last edited:
I'm not even joking when I say he's like a young Robbie Flower, think about that for a second implanting that sort of player on a wing in our side side at the minute.

Now think about the point in which Hardeman and Goater are back and McKercher occupies that other wing and gets the ball forward of center.
Oh My God Reaction GIF by Jo Koy

Again, FOS in our side would be a weapon probably not containable by only but a few sides when McKercher is on the other wing.

FOS might not end up the best player from this draft, but I think he has the potential to be the best player possible for North in our current situation.

He's a huge runner, he has a very good defensive side, he's awesome overhead and he's an absolutely lethal ball user. He's an aerial option on the wing for defensive transition also.

We are one of the very few clubs in the AFL capable of deploying him on a wing, rather than inside in the future (I'd argue Freo and GC are the others) and we are probably the only club of those 3 in the comp with the availability to get him.

I like FOS aswell. Only thing that I get concerned with him is I think he is sitting this high on the board because no one has overly put thier hand up to take his place. Smilie is putting up decent numbers and upside is thier if he can develop to what we think. Outside of that I find myself wishing a key tall forward would grab this draft the way Cadman did for the back end of his talent league season.

This draft is so perplexing. I have no idea how the recruiters will be able to tell which of these 180-183cm mids games will translate to AFL level or which of the taller mid/half backs will translate.

Jagga finds the footy and has the dancing feet but doesn't have that much speed or deliver it inside 50 with clean entries.
Sid has that burst and ability to run and carry in handball chains and deliver it inside F50.
Lindsay you know his kicking and ability to run and carry will translate at AFL level but his slight frame.
Murphy Reid has that ability to side-step and run and carry and deliver it inside 50.
FOS might be the most well rounded one of them all.

Would Langford at 190cm, Bo Allan at 190cm, Smillie and Trainor at 194cm end up being more effective with the size or do you need players who can get out of congestion more easily and run all day? Quite a conundrum for recruiters.
Obviously you can point to many players in the comp who are smaller that are dominating at AFL level.
Sam Lalor at 187cm has that power game with the fend off, he can take a grab and hit the scoreboard. Could be anything.

I'd lean towards FOS at the 1st pick but the size of Langford or Smillie is appealing, but there's a bit of recency bias having just faced the Bont and Cripps. Would like to see Langford hit targets more often, but he can go forward as well.

2nd rounder there should be one of those key forwards on the board but if a Toby Travaglia, Joe Berry, Xavier Lindsay or Bo Allen is sitting on the board I think it ain't so easy. Hopefully we can get another 20's pick.

Don’t mind the look of Lalor but hopefully his testing at draft camp is good. Can play forward as well. Where Phillips & Powell look to be one position only.

Great summary Sphynx.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Armstrong vs Nate Caddy

Who is better?

Why?
Like this question. I did love Caddy last year but was very disappointed with his champs. For my mind I prefer Caddy seemed to have better marking at the highest point and better forward craft from what i watched. Curious to hear other takes though.

Like this question. I did love Caddy last year but was very disappointed with his champs. For my mind I prefer Caddy seemed to have better marking at the highest point and better forward craft from what i watched. Curious to hear other takes though.
Saw Armstrong live on Saturday......his kicking is a thing of beauty......my god!!

FOS is the only player in everyone's top 5.
Got a feeling that Tigers will go Jagga at 1 if they remain bottom.
They are looking for a high quick hands accumulating mid like Daicos or Sheez.

A no brainer for us to pick FOS if he is available.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Saw Armstrong live on Saturday......his kicking is a thing of beauty......my god!!

I get that we are likely to jag a decent prospect KPF with our second pick………

But…… I want the best one.

Armstrong is very quick, excellent hands, and was you say has an accurate kick and also capable from outside 50.

He won’t be there in the second round.

Averaged 4 goals per game across his 2 champ matches.

I’d like to find a way to turn pick 2/3 into Armstrong and Travaglia/Berry

This is a chunky one. In the first half it felt as though Gerreyn was involved in every play as he racked up over 20 disposals. He was simply too much for East Fremantle to handle, too big, too strong and too skillful. After the last two weeks of dominating play it really feels as though Kayle has out grown the Colts competition. Time for a call up to the senior squad!

This is a chunky one. In the first half it felt as though Gerreyn was involved in every play as he racked up over 20 disposals. He was simply too much for East Fremantle to handle, too big, too strong and too skillful. After the last two weeks of dominating play it really feels as though Kayle has out grown the Colts competition. Time for a call up to the senior squad!

Jesus I’m getting old when Josh Wooden has a son in colts

FO'S has to be the pick. The only reason we don't end up with him is he gets taken before our pick and if he is, I reckon Trainor is probably where we'll go.

A starting midfield in a few years time of LDU, FOS and Wardlaw with guys like Sheezel, Mckercher, Simpkin and Powell running through there too is flat out unfair.

FO'S has to be the pick. The only reason we don't end up with him is he gets taken before our pick and if he is, I reckon Trainor is probably where we'll go.

A starting midfield in a few years time of LDU, FOS and Wardlaw with guys like Sheezel, Mckercher and Powell/Phillips running through there too is flat out unfair.

16, 17 & 18th are going to be us, Tigers & Wet Toast.

Who do they need Souup ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back