Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Newly crowned Larke medalist Harvey Langford continues to dominate the Talent League as he has done all season. He struggled with the extreme wind when disposing of the ball by foot as everyone did in this game, but he showed superior judgement of the ball in flight taking double digit marks.

Lindsay followed up his big Champs game with another big game for Gippy.

1721601822917.png

Wing: Xavier Lindsay
Vic Country | 183cm | 03/08/2006

Among the few All Australians who missed one of four games, Lindsay returned with a stunning performance in the championship-decider. He racked up 30 disposals, 20 uncontested possessions, and 11 marks operating on both sides of midfield to be arguably best afield in Vic Country’s narrow loss. Lindsay showed great versatility throughout the carnival; tackling hard and proving clean at the contest, but also using his weaponous left-foot kicking and outside run on the attack.

Lindsay followed up his big Champs game with another big game for Gippy.

View attachment 2055227

Wing: Xavier Lindsay
Vic Country | 183cm | 03/08/2006

Among the few All Australians who missed one of four games, Lindsay returned with a stunning performance in the championship-decider. He racked up 30 disposals, 20 uncontested possessions, and 11 marks operating on both sides of midfield to be arguably best afield in Vic Country’s narrow loss. Lindsay showed great versatility throughout the carnival; tackling hard and proving clean at the contest, but also using his weaponous left-foot kicking and outside run on the attack.

Could be this years Caleb Windsor, as in someone that might have been rated teens for most of the season, but gets taken in the top 6 or 7

Should be able to get one of Fuall/Shanahan/ Sims at our second selection. Very interested to see what we do with our first pick??? What y’all thinking??? A mid or L.Trainor??? Fascinating

You take the best player.

There's a literal mountain of options in the second round for role players and positions for picking key forwards, ruck/forwards, small forwards and defenders.

I said on the draft board, this years draft has about 30 players stretching out to pick 40-50 that would go 20-25 in most drafts.

You are essentially getting a young Ben McKay/Will Dawson type prospect with any pick you get in that range.

We don't need to reach in the top 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be able to get one of Fuall/Shanahan/ Sims at our second selection. Very interested to see what we do with our first pick??? What y’all thinking??? A mid or L.Trainor??? Fascinating
A midfielder with our first pick, Will Thursfield has said we need more class and an elite mid is there IF we don't split our pick but pick 2/3 is a big difference in my opinion as we have certain players rated in order so this draft with Will's thinking along with Brady's is the most intriguing that I can remember!

If Comben stays forward then Trainor and a small forward looks great for fit.

Trainor, Logue, Archer is a good mix on the FB line.
Then WDawson, Goater and Hardeman across half back.
Outside of skill, the one thing comben gives is height.
Not sure a 194cm player can do that for us.
You'd hope Dawson could become that player for us.
Should have taken blight in MSD.

Starting to think we should trade next years first if we can get another top 6 pick for it.

FOS and Trainor/Lalor sounds very nice to me
It all depends on who's available in free agency.
If we spend the pick in 2024, it makes it a lot harder for clubs to try and force us to match for a RFA selection.
We'd just up the cash and give a better pick.
I'm all for it tbh, this draft looks pretty amazing and we're in the right bracket to jump up the ladder next year.
Last chance to get a high pick for a while I reckon.

It all depends on who's available in free agency.
If we spend the pick in 2024, it makes it a lot harder for clubs to try and force us to match for a RFA selection.
We'd just up the cash and give a better pick.
I'm all for it tbh, this draft looks pretty amazing and we're in the right bracket to jump up the ladder next year.
Last chance to get a high pick for a while I reckon.

Balta 2025.

Richmond get a top 3 pick as compo.

It's their version of McKay.

I'd be targeting both Ed Richards and Balta as Free Agency pieces in 2025 with big offers.

Thanks PMBangers ...just another draft watcher who doesn't agree except FOS is clear No.2 so far, maybe, possibly, who knows:
View attachment 2055410

That's a good thing.

As it's unlikely we will hold the #2 pick.

We will be picking at #3 imo. We can't realistically finish higher than 16th even if we beat the Cats, Hawks or Dogs on the final run in.

We have the Tigers/Eagles at Marvel/Hobart back to back, we will give them a pasting on current form.

Three strong senior SANFL performances in a row now for my current choice for number 1 draft pick Sid Draper. He split his time pretty evenly between onball and half forward, and it was arguably at half forward where he did most of his damage in this game showing his potential versatility as a prospect. In a brilliant sequence late in the third quarter Draper was pivotal in a three goal burst for Souths, booting 1 goal himself and directly assisting two more, effectively sealing the game.

Three strong senior SANFL performances in a row now for my current choice for number 1 draft pick Sid Draper. He split his time pretty evenly between onball and half forward, and it was arguably at half forward where he did most of his damage in this game showing his potential versatility as a prospect. In a brilliant sequence late in the third quarter Draper was pivotal in a three goal burst for Souths, booting 1 goal himself and directly assisting two more, effectively sealing the game.

Hopefully he and manager Ben Williams are West Coast bound, so we don't have to deal with the eventual circus that always follows him with SA prospects drafted interstate.

This draft is so perplexing. I have no idea how the recruiters will be able to tell which of these 180-183cm mids games will translate to AFL level or which of the taller mid/half backs will translate.

Jagga finds the footy and has the dancing feet but doesn't have that much speed or deliver it inside 50 with clean entries.
Sid has that burst and ability to run and carry in handball chains and deliver it inside F50.
Lindsay you know his kicking and ability to run and carry will translate at AFL level but his slight frame.
Murphy Reid has that ability to side-step and run and carry and deliver it inside 50.
FOS might be the most well rounded one of them all.

Would Langford at 190cm, Bo Allan at 190cm, Smillie and Trainor at 194cm end up being more effective with the size or do you need players who can get out of congestion more easily and run all day? Quite a conundrum for recruiters.
Obviously you can point to many players in the comp who are smaller that are dominating at AFL level.
Sam Lalor at 187cm has that power game with the fend off, he can take a grab and hit the scoreboard. Could be anything.

I'd lean towards FOS at the 1st pick but the size of Langford or Smillie is appealing, but there's a bit of recency bias having just faced the Bont and Cripps. Would like to see Langford hit targets more often, but he can go forward as well.

2nd rounder there should be one of those key forwards on the board but if a Toby Travaglia, Joe Berry, Xavier Lindsay or Bo Allen is sitting on the board I think it ain't so easy. Hopefully we can get another 20's pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back