List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

Butters came off in the first half and JHF played a fair bit forward.

People get a hardon for raw numbers but it is what players do with the ball that counts. It is why I don't rate LDU as highly as most other people, his ball use is average and it is a significant contributing factor to why we lose as often as we do, especially when you combine LDU's ball use with Simpkin and some inexperienced kids.

Who are the "elite" ball users in our midfield? Sheezle went there and stood out like dog's balls. LDU's inability to hit anyone with a medium distance pass inside the forward 50 is a liability to the side, especially when he takes so many of those kicks.

Last night the stoppage numbers weren't miles apart. 36 vs 40 clearances (17 vs 12 from the middle). Contested possession 119 vs 125. Inside 50s 53 vs 57. The difference was the efficiency going inside 50, 37.7% vs 68.4%. Part of it was the inability to pressure once the ball got outside, but their midfield has the ability to hit targets going inside 50.

We do not have elite ball users around the ball and those who can't kick have the license to blaze away to nobody in particular. We have the combination of a lack of skills and a lack of system. Geelong has skill and system. You just don't rack up a lot of games in the Geelong side unless you can do what is expected, we don't have that kind of standard here and the coach just makes poor excuses when they dont try. Our standards aren't any better atm than they were under Nobel or Shaw.
compare the quality of the forward entries, Dixon didn't stand a chance, i reckon the closest they hit him up was within 2m, meanwhile the Geelong forwards ( tall and small) dined out with the clean low entries out in front of the players. even Cameron got most of his posessions against alir by running off him rather than bodying up to him,

sheezel is a good example, best deliverer into our 50m arc by far,

And another one.

Agent "North have offered 2 years. Good coin. Senior games, future coaching possibilities"

Callan "And any other offers?"

Agent "Didn't want to mention it, GWS can do 1 year. Base wage. They've been up-front and said you'll be an emergency option only, play out your year in the 2s. I mean you've been a stalwart, this is a real slap in the fa.. "

Callan " THERE'S A BIG BIG SOUND!"

Agent "Ok done!"
"Just delist me bro. Anything but North Melbourne."

No.

Butters came off in the first half and JHF played a fair bit forward.

People get a hardon for raw numbers but it is what players do with the ball that counts. It is why I don't rate LDU as highly as most other people, his ball use is average and it is a significant contributing factor to why we lose as often as we do, especially when you combine LDU's ball use with Simpkin and some inexperienced kids.

Who are the "elite" ball users in our midfield? Sheezle went there and stood out like dog's balls. LDU's inability to hit anyone with a medium distance pass inside the forward 50 is a liability to the side, especially when he takes so many of those kicks.

Last night the stoppage numbers weren't miles apart. 36 vs 40 clearances (17 vs 12 from the middle). Contested possession 119 vs 125. Inside 50s 53 vs 57. The difference was the efficiency going inside 50, 37.7% vs 68.4%. Part of it was the inability to pressure once the ball got outside, but their midfield has the ability to hit targets going inside 50.

We do not have elite ball users around the ball and those who can't kick have the license to blaze away to nobody in particular. We have the combination of a lack of skills and a lack of system. Geelong has skill and system. You just don't rack up a lot of games in the Geelong side unless you can do what is expected, we don't have that kind of standard here and the coach just makes poor excuses when they dont try. Our standards aren't any better atm than they were under Nobel or Shaw.
I agree on ball use and especially LDU. His kicking this year was woeful. I think it is down to technique and is fixable but he needs to do a lot of work.

Geelong's mids are pretty average. But the number of players helping them out through the middle is what kills you. Last night of their top six possession winners three were forwards and three were defenders.

compare the quality of the forward entries, Dixon didn't stand a chance, i reckon the closest they hit him up was within 2m, meanwhile the Geelong forwards ( tall and small) dined out with the clean low entries out in front of the players. even Cameron got most of his posessions against alir by running off him rather than bodying up to him,

sheezel is a good example, best deliverer into our 50m arc by far,

We really lucked out with Sheezel, he is both a ball magnet and has elite skills, LDU could be an amazing player for us if he was able to do what he normally does to win the footy and get clearances but made it his life mission to make sure he got the ball into Sheezel's hands then sacrificed himself to instead of running forward to instead protect Sheezel so he has extra time and space to dispose of the ball.

This is the main difference between us and teams with good systems, the Cats players will do what is best for the team, they dont have too many go for the ball or ball watch, they have the guys that will tackle and pressure and put blocks on so they can get the ball on the outside. They done us in pretty comprehensively that way, we tried, but we had a really shit system and I am kind of disappointed tbh that we are two years in with supercoach and our stoppage structure is still no good. We have too many light bodied players who struggle in the 1 vs 1 tackling.

It is obvious from the post bye period that system, or lack thereof, is a big part of our problems. We had a headless chook system pre bye and the last two rounds and there is just a massive variance. Shouldn't need to wait 18 months until you start to demand some pressure on the opposition.

If we combined that system of pressure with some kind of system of delivering the ball into the forward 50 we would have gone from bottom 4 football to top 8 football. We don't have the ideal team for it, but we have accumulated a lot of talent we poorly utilise.

Callan Ward has turned down rival interest and signed a one-year contract extension with the Giants -

Lazz I think doesn't have clean enough hands. Curtis I kind of agree, however he will always be an unusual weapon as he is small but could probably put Dangerfield on his arse. With the right development he could honestly be our most dangerous forward.

Either way, yeah. We need more of this type in.
Definitely.

More speed and mongrel ideally.

Have just joined and agree on our small forward pressure that is non existent - and that is a huge concern for me because RHJ has never shown desire to pressure or tackle at any level - yes he showed a little late this year but i still dont see it...
Below i have highlighted stats for last 6 VFL regular season games played in 2024 for 3 players:

RHJ - 11.2 disposals, 1.7 goals, 2.2 tackles

Malcolm Rosas - 12.0 disposals, 1.5 goals, 2.3 tackles

Player 3 - 18.8 disposals, 1.2 goals, 4.7 tackles

So by looking at above do we think that Player 3 clearly brings what we are looking for that we desperately haven't got - a high pressure player who gets ball regularly and impacts - or do we want flighty inconsistent types who don't want contact and will not put it on the line for their team ?

BTW - Player 3 is Jack Mahony
Mahony was very unlucky to be delisted and cops a bad rap on here. Not a huge goal scorer but a committed player.

Have just joined and agree on our small forward pressure that is non existent - and that is a huge concern for me because RHJ has never shown desire to pressure or tackle at any level - yes he showed a little late this year but i still dont see it...
Below i have highlighted stats for last 6 VFL regular season games played in 2024 for 3 players:

RHJ - 11.2 disposals, 1.7 goals, 2.2 tackles

Malcolm Rosas - 12.0 disposals, 1.5 goals, 2.3 tackles

Player 3 - 18.8 disposals, 1.2 goals, 4.7 tackles

So by looking at above do we think that Player 3 clearly brings what we are looking for that we desperately haven't got - a high pressure player who gets ball regularly and impacts - or do we want flighty inconsistent types who don't want contact and will not put it on the line for their team ?

BTW - Player 3 is Jack Mahony

Remember when we had a small forward? Pepperidge farm remembers

Excuse the intrusion

Who is the player you guys preferring at pick #2 if you keep it
and what is the realistic expectations if you trade it out.

Remembering im not the person that does the trade ;)
No consensus here

One of 4-5 players

And pick 6 and 9 for 2 if we did trade it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the intrusion

Fos for me.
I'm hoping we trade it and bring in kpp and small forwards.
6 and 9 would be ideal.

Excuse the intrusion

No consensus here

One of 4-5 players

And pick 6 and 9 for 2 if we did trade it
It’s smilie - you better jump in first 😛

tbf....we could have developed Goater in a similar role if he didnt get injured.

He was pick twentiesh too...

Fcuk me that's a big call.... Holmes is a gun, Goater would be lucky to clean his boots at this stage of dev... hope you are right but there is a gulf there currently

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Excuse the intrusion

Most say FOS/Draper/Smith top 3 in different orders. Some want bigger framed mid like Smillie/Langford/Lalor.
Some like Murphy Reid as Kmart Sheezel. Trainor and Armstrong not quite on the radar at pick 2.
It would take something like 6 and 9/10 I think to move off pick 2.

In that situation I reckon you go after 2 also

But you’d have to get 6 and 10/12
I think it would be to facilitate the Baker trade that gets that done for #3 and Richmond would take Jagga
I cant see North having an interest in Smith so it would be safe to do FOS/Jagga

#6 would be too valuable to trade out imo as it gets the 3rd of the top 7
But if the deal with the eagles for Baker does get done the importance for #2 will be diluted for Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back