Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a great day for the big man Gerreyn to make his WAFL debut.... I only watched snippets on-screen so won't comment on his play, but he is a big lad (still some puppy fat) with a long trunk and 'short' legs - can see the similarities with Tex & J Brown the way he moves.

Negatives: Westa Perth.
Watched both games and Gerreyn really lead and presented very well and while he dropped some easy contested marks on the rise, the ball didn't go through his hands and often fell to his players, front and centre in what was slippery conditions. His ruck work was OK but he was played mostly forward and didn't disappoint even though he didn't trouble the scoreboard though the commentators said that his contested marking attempts contributed to 4 goals...at times he reminds me of a young Jon Patton.

Bo Allan, mostly played as defender often guarding a zonal space between top of defensive square and rightside half back and was pretty disciplined in staying either with his man or defensive position. In stoppage play he would either sit behind and around the rucks but when he'd go in for the disputed ball, he'll have repeat attempts trying to get ball out. Keeps his feet quite well in really muddy, slippery conditions and with Peel having such a strong midfield and Aish down back, he often played third option on the pass and rarely did you see his burst like in the championships..really like the way he reads the contest.

Not sure where all this splitting pick 2 is coming from? Who’s doing it in a supposedly even draft? Adelaide MIGHT look at 4 and 28 to guarantee Draper if they’re keen enough.
If we trade down with Adelaide, we then should take calls from St Kilda for their 2nd also. They'll be keen on whatever top rated mid falls to pick 4 imo.

6, 22, 25, 28, 40

Add a f2, and we have ample picks to trade back into the 1st if there are suitors.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How'd you feel if we took Armstrong and Gerryn with our first 2 picks? No messing around dropping back, just taking them straight out.
If that happened, plus the other couple of picks on players and River, to say I would be excited doesn't even come close, as its not just a "yes I got it right" moment, since we haven't finished our midfield yet then the chance of it happening is probably the odds of winning x lotto. I can see Alastair's thinking a little more clearer after what he said but if we do indeed go that way I'm just wondering who is left out of the key forwards when we take our second round pick.

If Hamish Free succumbs to concussion and we are to move him on then even though we got Taylor Goad, with what Kayle Gerreyn can become then it would literally be the biggest steal of the last twenty years, and that's if no one plucks him late in the first round. Don't get me wrong I love "the little shark", Sid would be quite something in the next couple of years, in our midfield, Josh Smillie has so much upside its not funny yet people only talk about his height, I think once he gets a little more confidence and his body fills out he is going to be quite something, Sam Lalor could be anything, and I say that with how good I think the others will be, so it might give you an idea on his potential. Jagga has really taken off this year and deserves his spot up there, he reminds me of someone and that someone is the "energiser bunny"!

I'll name a player who wasn't on my radar but since Cal had him going at pick 4 last month its an interesting idea to have him at pick 3 this month, but there will be people who disagree and that's fine because we probably won't know until draft night since nothing is getting out of "fort knox"! Harvey Langford is a hard one to place, he to has lots of upside, this draft I can tell you is the most complex I've ever seen and I know one thing, the recruiters will have earned there pay after this draft is finished, that is for sure.

I've just been on a Harry Armstrong binge. Just highlights, so I might be wrong. But the first thing I noticed and continued to see was elite elite reaction speed for a KPF.

If he flies in a big pack and the ball spills then as soon as he lands he's like a cat, immediately diving at the ball, then immediately trying to tackle.

Good intensity about him, as well.

Not sure where all this splitting pick 2 is coming from? Who’s doing it in a supposedly even draft? Adelaide MIGHT look at 4 and 28 to guarantee Draper if they’re keen enough.
It might be a struggle. Freo has 9 & 13 currently, that's too far back I would say for us to slide.
Saints might offer 6 and 25/F2 for a look at the 2nd best mid. We take Armstrong.
Crows and Tigers perhaps the only other options but wait it's a on trade week to see what they do.

I've just been on a Harry Armstrong binge. Just highlights, so I might be wrong. But the first thing I noticed and continued to see was elite elite reaction speed for a KPF.

If he flies in a big pack and the ball spills then as soon as he lands he's like a cat, immediately diving at the ball, then immediately trying to tackle.

Exactly, If I'm thinking this young man is going to be "special", then I wonder if any of the recruiters will to. Right now, Cal has him at 8, I've looked countless times at the draft picks of other clubs and yes some clubs do need a key forward but in nearly all cases they require a good-elite mid first and foremost, four clubs stand out BUT will they take the chance, the clubs are in my opinion: Us, my goodness to have this young man at our club would be nothing short of amazing, Richmond next cab off the rank, but they badly need an elite mid, questions, questions, Geelong next but I really don't know if Jye Clarke is the answer.

Tanner is good so they need an elite mid as well, lastly we come to Collingwood, they would be the team that I think would secretly be eyeing off Harry as he's just the guy to help them out, and they got Ed Allan not to long ago from W.A in the draft to help them out in the middle but again their first pick is around 30 so its going to be so interesting who pulls the plug on Harry in the first round. If we say, get someone like Jack Viney or Jack Macrae to help and teach our young mids then we just have to get Harry, he has all the tools , so much to improve on its crazy, and I can even see him being our full forward, moving Nick out to CHF, in time, not straight away, moving an all australian forward out to give a youngster the key role, you bet your bottom dollar I would and by the way I love Nick Larkey, it would actually benefit him even more in the wider open spaces!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, If I'm thinking this young man is going to be "special", then I wonder if any of the recruiters will to. Right now, Cal has him at 8, I've looked countless times at the draft picks of other clubs and yes some clubs do need a key forward but in nearly all cases they require a good-elite mid first and foremost, four clubs stand out BUT will they take the chance, the clubs are in my opinion: Us, my goodness to have this young man at our club would be nothing short of amazing, Richmond next cab off the rank, but they badly need an elite mid, questions, questions, Geelong next but I really don't know if Jye Clarke is the answer.

Tanner is good so they need an elite mid as well, lastly we come to Collingwood, they would be the team that I think would secretly be eyeing off Harry as he's just the guy to help them out, and they got Ed Allan not to long ago from W.A in the draft to help them out in the middle but again their first pick is around 30 so its going to be so interesting who pulls the plug on Harry in the first round. If we say, get someone like Jack Viney or Jack Macrae to help and teach our young mids then we just have to get Harry, he has all the tools , so much to improve on its crazy, and I can even see him being our full forward, moving Nick out to CHF, in time, not straight away, moving an all australian forward out to give a youngster the key role, you bet your bottom dollar I would and by the way I love Nick Larkey, it would actually benefit him even more in the wider open spaces!

If you compare him to Caddy from last years draft what are the positives and negatives?

Last edited:
Watched both games and Gerreyn really lead and presented very well and while he dropped some easy contested marks on the rise, the ball didn't go through his hands and often fell to his players, front and centre in what was slippery conditions. His ruck work was OK but he was played mostly forward and didn't disappoint even though he didn't trouble the scoreboard though the commentators said that his contested marking attempts contributed to 4 goals...at times he reminds me of a young Jon Patton.

Bo Allan, mostly played as defender often guarding a zonal space between top of defensive square and rightside half back and was pretty disciplined in staying either with his man or defensive position. In stoppage play he would either sit behind and around the rucks but when he'd go in for the disputed ball, he'll have repeat attempts trying to get ball out. Keeps his feet quite well in really muddy, slippery conditions and with Peel having such a strong midfield and Aish down back, he often played third option on the pass and rarely did you see his burst like in the championships..really like the way he reads the contest.

Tough conditions for a big man but he battled away really well. Considering how athletic he already is, it’s going to be crazy to see how much upside he has once he is AFL conditioned. Won’t surprise me at all if he pushes into the top 15 come draft night. The more of him I’ve watched the more I’m finding it really hard to seperate Armstrong, Whitlock and him.

Just on Bo Allan, if people are obsessed with a big, tall, contested beast being added to our midfield. Then he is the man. He is an absolute animal with his repeat efforts around the stoppages when the ball isn’t in his hands. There wouldn’t be many in this draft class who’d beat him one on one.

I said earlier in the year that he’d be one to watch. That was after his game against the Ranges in round 2…he only had 11 disposals and 5 marks but it was the repeat efforts, multiple leads and workrate that really stood out to me. You could see very early that the intensity would hold him in good stead.

If that happened, plus the other couple of picks on players and River, to say I would be excited doesn't even come close, as its not just a "yes I got it right" moment, since we haven't finished our midfield yet then the chance of it happening is probably the odds of winning x lotto. I can see Alastair's thinking a little more clearer after what he said but if we do indeed go that way I'm just wondering who is left out of the key forwards when we take our second round pick.

If Hamish Free succumbs to concussion and we are to move him on then even though we got Taylor Goad, with what Kayle Gerreyn can become then it would literally be the biggest steal of the last twenty years, and that's if no one plucks him late in the first round. Don't get me wrong I love "the little shark", Sid would be quite something in the next couple of years, in our midfield, Josh Smillie has so much upside its not funny yet people only talk about his height, I think once he gets a little more confidence and his body fills out he is going to be quite something, Sam Lalor could be anything, and I say that with how good I think the others will be, so it might give you an idea on his potential. Jagga has really taken off this year and deserves his spot up there, he reminds me of someone and that someone is the "energiser bunny"!

I'll name a player who wasn't on my radar but since Cal had him going at pick 4 last month its an interesting idea to have him at pick 3 this month, but there will be people who disagree and that's fine because we probably won't know until draft night since nothing is getting out of "fort knox"! Harvey Langford is a hard one to place, he to has lots of upside, this draft I can tell you is the most complex I've ever seen and I know one thing, the recruiters will have earned there pay after this draft is finished, that is for sure.
I tend to think Gerreyns position in the draft will depend on what all the boys from the Tigers do as Freo are in such a good position to pick him with their 1st round picks.

And who’s taking our futures to give us more picks this year?

Trading F1 is tough because we have to value it as top 3, but other teams will value it like pick 10.

There's an uncertainty factor making it worth like pick 6 or 7, then you price in the 12 month delay in getting the payout.

I could just be the hype but I think we should just take him with pick two.

Not sure we dont get pick 1. Its very possible the Dogs and Hawks thumps us by 10 plus goals each to get finals percentages and that the Tigers beat the Suns at home next week after a respectable loss to the Hawks today. Remember what the Suns did in the last round against us last year when they didnt turn up. Right now picks 1 and 2 are 50-50 unless the Tigers are desperate for pick 1 .

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back