Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kako off the board bloody hurts , need to find a way to land berry with our second pick.
AFL needs to tell the dogs to send Sanders around to Arden St......when will these pr1cks ever stop tampering with the draft rules, academies, F/S, etc.....it seems to be getting further and further from a level playing field. Father Son should trump Academies. NO WAY in the world Blakey for example would have ever not played AFL.

The draft lacks the out and out superstars, of previous drafts, but I think there are more genuine talls, small forwards and other role players in that secondary tier. Means that there is a bit more depth beyond like pick 40.

Honestly, because of the evenness, I think I’d be happy either way to split or keep pick 1/2/3. I just hope we trade our F2 into the top 30 so that we get another bite at the cherrie as there are so many opportunities to add much needed role or structure players to our list.
Thanks for your thoughts RF.....now you that you mention it, I think your suggestion and keeping our current picks would be ideal.

It’s almost not worth discussing any scenarios until we know what the **** is going on with points/bids/NGA rules.

Absolute clown show, even by afl standards.
I never like to criticise a woman making her way in a male-dominated environment, but Laura Kane has made a mess of both the rules (re: concussion) and the competitive review.

Some early clarification around both would be advisable in career terms.

I never like to criticise a woman making her way in a male-dominated environment, but Laura Kane has made a mess of both the rules (re: concussion) and the competitive review.

Hi Merlin, Laura here, thank you for your inquiry.
I see you are a North supporter. We at the AFL are still working on how to screw the smaller less supported clubs in this draft so as to benefit the bigger clubs. This will ensure big crowds and mammoth t.v. ratings going forward and of course massive $ bonuses for AFL execs.

Rules for this weekend games are yet to be finalised, but l can confirm we have spoken to the umpires patrolling the Carlton forward line on Sunday to ensure that cuddly Harry & that little mop haired Charlie receive fair treatment in any one on one contests.

Your Sincerely and losta love Laura ♥️

Yeah, which means nothing to us.

Anything that goes to Richmond will be taken to the draft.
I'm just suggesting that if Freo could offer pick 2/3 as part of the deal for either of those players, Richmond or Sydney might find that compelling.

eg North trades 2/3 to Freo for 10 and 16
Sydney trades Warner to Freo for 3 and 13

Hi Merlin, Laura here, thank you for your inquiry.
I see you are a North supporter. We at the AFL are still working on how to screw the smaller less supported clubs in this draft so as to benefit the bigger clubs. This will ensure big crowds and mammoth t.v. ratings going forward and of course massive $ bonuses for AFL execs.

Rules for this weekend games are yet to be finalised, but l can confirm we have spoken to the umpires patrolling the Carlton forward line on Sunday to ensure that cuddly Harry & that little mop haired Charlie receive fair treatment in any one on one contests.

Your Sincerely and losta love Laura ♥️
Cynic. Personally I take a f*ck up over a conspiracy every time, but you've got a point, you never can tell

They will be all over Berry now Kako has been gift wrapped for the *scum.

With Lachie Schultz leaving last year and Walters all but done they need another goal kicking and pressure small forward.

They would probably also look for a damaging running half back to take the place of Hayden Young now that he’s calving it up in the midfield.

They’re actually in an excellent position with their draft picks.
Very true Sherm, though they did pick up Jack Delean in last years draft for that very reason.

West Coast are flying in for home interviews with both Langford and Hynes this weekend.

You wouldn't think a big bodied mid would be a pressing need for them considering they already have Reid & Ginbey as their two key younger midfielders. I would've thought an accumulating type (like Smith) who can motor from contest to contest would've suited them perfectly.

You wouldn't think a big bodied mid would be a pressing need for them considering they already have Reid & Ginbey as their two key younger midfielders. I would've thought an accumulating type (like Smith) who can motor from contest to contest would've suited them perfectly.
The ‘media’ keep saying that’s what they need to help Reid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doing the bigfooty trial draft on the draft and trading board. Some really good player write ups there if anyone is interested. Have us picking FOS & Kako so far. Obviously Kako isn't realistic now, but the rules of the draft said that bids could only be matched outside the top 40.

See my write ups on the two players below:

Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Finn O’Sullivan - Oakleigh Chargers - 182cm.

North continue to have a simple strategy of taking the best available talent at the top end of the draft. While there was a temptation to take a bigger bodied mid in either Josh Smillie or Harvey Langford, the athletic profile and running capacity of FOS was too good too pass up. FOS offers up a point of difference in our midfield with his ability to play on a wing or roll through the half forward or back line.

FOS has so many attributes that make him perfect for modern day footy: dynamic movement, agility, endurance, strength, courage, stacks of footy IQ and sound decision making. While he hasn't been able to display all these characteristics this year due to injuries, clubs are well aware of his high end potential and he has plenty of runs on the board as an underage player and through the under 16's championships. He'll have a good opportunity in the Coates League in the coming weeks to remind everyone of his talent.

As a midfielder, he finds the ball in and around the stoppages as both a primary ball winner and first receiver. He then uses his agility and movement to break clear from the stoppages. Once clear, he uses his elite decision making and skills to hit targets. Around the ground he is an aerial threat with elite overhead marking.

As an AFL footballer, I think he’ll start off as a hard running winger or as a half back and transition to becoming a genuine mid across the space of a few seasons. Considering his injuries this year and his slighter body type, he’ll be a slower burn, as he has to add some size to his frame so that he can withstand rigours of AFL footy.

An exciting pick who has leadership aspirations. I have no doubt he will develop into a top tier 200+ game player.

Pick 22 - North Melbourne - Isaac Kako - Calder Cannons - 175cm.

North have long been desperate for a goal kicking small forward who can also push up the ground and have an impact when kicking the footy inside 50. With Kako, we get that and so much more. In my opinion, this pick represents excellent value as Kako deserves to be pushing into that top 10 region due to his upside and his body of work this season.

Like our previous pick O'Sullivan, Kako has so many attributes that make him perfect for modern day footy: dynamic movement, agility, a zipping burst of pace, stacks of footy IQ, creativity, natural goal sense and all round X factor.

As a small forward, he zips around the contest like an energizer bunny often finding himself in dangerous locations. He is at home crumbing the ball at speed then snapping goals. Because of his X Factor, he has the ability to kick goals and impact the scoreboard from limited opportunities. No doubt his ground ball game is his bread and butter, but he is also really solid as a leading target, finding space to lead into and using his speed to create serperation from his direct opponents. Kako has spent plenty of time in the midfield this year at Coates League level where he is able to accumulate the ball and have an impact around the stoppages. Once again his ground ball efforts are a real stand out feature in his game. As a midfielder, he is very balanced, and despite being on the smaller side he has no worries competing with the bigger bodies.

The biggest critiques of his game would be his defensive application and his kicking consistency. At times, his defensive intensity can be lacking, but it is something that will improve once his tank matures. In fairness this part of his game has improved considerably compared to last year. He is more than capable of doing freakish things with his disposal, but sometimes he tries to do too much resulting in turnovers. At times he needs to display a little more composure when disposing of the ball.

As an AFL footballer, he'll be a small forward in that Tom Papley mould, who can be damaging at ground level, but also have the ability to push up as a high half forward to provide a spark around the stoppages.

Another exciting pick that will help fill a glaring hole on North's developing list!

Really hoping that one of the key forwards will be available for our next pick at 40.

Doing the bigfooty trial draft on the draft and trading board. Some really good player write ups there if anyone is interested. Have us picking FOS & Kako so far. Obviously Kako isn't realistic now, but the rules of the draft said that bids could only be matched outside the top 40.

See my write ups on the two players below:

Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Finn O’Sullivan - Oakleigh Chargers - 182cm.

North continue to have a simple strategy of taking the best available talent at the top end of the draft. While there was a temptation to take a bigger bodied mid in either Josh Smillie or Harvey Langford, the athletic profile and running capacity of FOS was too good too pass up. FOS offers up a point of difference in our midfield with his ability to play on a wing or roll through the half forward or back line.

FOS has so many attributes that make him perfect for modern day footy: dynamic movement, agility, endurance, strength, courage, stacks of footy IQ and sound decision making. While he hasn't been able to display all these characteristics this year due to injuries, clubs are well aware of his high end potential and he has plenty of runs on the board as an underage player and through the under 16's championships. He'll have a good opportunity in the Coates League in the coming weeks to remind everyone of his talent.

As a midfielder, he finds the ball in and around the stoppages as both a primary ball winner and first receiver. He then uses his agility and movement to break clear from the stoppages. Once clear, he uses his elite decision making and skills to hit targets. Around the ground he is an aerial threat with elite overhead marking.

As an AFL footballer, I think he’ll start off as a hard running winger or as a half back and transition to becoming a genuine mid across the space of a few seasons. Considering his injuries this year and his slighter body type, he’ll be a slower burn, as he has to add some size to his frame so that he can withstand rigours of AFL footy.

An exciting pick who has leadership aspirations. I have no doubt he will develop into a top tier 200+ game player.

Pick 22 - North Melbourne - Isaac Kako - Calder Cannons - 175cm.

North have long been desperate for a goal kicking small forward who can also push up the ground and have an impact when kicking the footy inside 50. With Kako, we get that and so much more. In my opinion, this pick represents excellent value as Kako deserves to be pushing into that top 10 region due to his upside and his body of work this season.

Like our previous pick O'Sullivan, Kako has so many attributes that make him perfect for modern day footy: dynamic movement, agility, a zipping burst of pace, stacks of footy IQ, creativity, natural goal sense and all round X factor.

As a small forward, he zips around the contest like an energizer bunny often finding himself in dangerous locations. He is at home crumbing the ball at speed then snapping goals. Because of his X Factor, he has the ability to kick goals and impact the scoreboard from limited opportunities. No doubt his ground ball game is his bread and butter, but he is also really solid as a leading target, finding space to lead into and using his speed to create serperation from his direct opponents. Kako has spent plenty of time in the midfield this year at Coates League level where he is able to accumulate the ball and have an impact around the stoppages. Once again his ground ball efforts are a real stand out feature in his game. As a midfielder, he is very balanced, and despite being on the smaller side he has no worries competing with the bigger bodies.

The biggest critiques of his game would be his defensive application and his kicking consistency. At times, his defensive intensity can be lacking, but it is something that will improve once his tank matures. In fairness this part of his game has improved considerably compared to last year. He is more than capable of doing freakish things with his disposal, but sometimes he tries to do too much resulting in turnovers. At times he needs to display a little more composure when disposing of the ball.

As an AFL footballer, he'll be a small forward in that Tom Papley mould, who can be damaging at ground level, but also have the ability to push up as a high half forward to provide a spark around the stoppages.

Another exciting pick that will help fill a glaring hole on North's developing list!

Really hoping that one of the key forwards will be available for our next pick at 40.
isnt kako 100% going to the dons now?

Warner!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would be a strange choice imo.

He's an absolute jet of the comp, no doubt.

But they already have one of the strongest center square groupings in the league and Young has been a top 10 player in the comp in the same way Sheezel has in the last 2 months.

Serong and Young aren't going anywhere, which means you play Brayshaw off a wing?

If they are going to unload the warchest it should be for Shai Bolton.

Bolton makes them a flag contender in 2025 imo. Him rotating forward and in for 8-10 center bounces a game in that midfield group would be crazy.

They missed a massive opportunity trading Darcy last year also.

Jackson dominates whenever he's the sole ruck.

If they don't win their first flag over the next 4-5 years, they can blame Bell and co, it was there for the taking. They easily have the makings of a multiple flag side at the moment with 1-2 key decisions.

Last edited:
Would be a strange choice imo.

He's an absolute jet of the comp, no doubt.

But they already have one of the strongest center square groupings in the league and Young has been a top 10 player in the comp in the same way Sheezel has in the last 2 months.

Serong and Young aren't going anywhere, which means you play Brayshaw off a wing?

If they are going to unload the warchest it should be for Shai Bolton.

Bolton makes them a flag contender in 2025 imo. Him rotating forward and in for 8-10 center bounces a game in that midfield group would be crazy.

They missed a massive opportunity trading Darcy last year also.

Jackson dominates whenever he's the sole ruck.

If they don't win their first flag over the next 4-5 years, they can blame Bell and co, it was there for the taking. They easily have the makings of a multiple flag side at the moment with 1-2 key decisions.
One good thing about Freo taking 3x first round picks to the draft is that they surely won't take any of the key forwards given their current stocks.

Shouldn't matter, you get the job you're expected to perform regardless of gender.

One good thing about Freo taking 3x first round picks to the draft is that they surely won't take any of the key forwards given their current stocks.

They really only have Amiss and Treacy. Compared to their defence which has Cox, Pearce, Ryan, Draper, Chapman, McDonald, Murphy and Davies

Taberner is just about on his last legs too. If they take those picks to the draft I guarantee they'll take a key forward.

A huge step forward for Jack Whitlock in this game, answering a lot of the questions that draft watchers had been pondering. He clunked the big contested marks that he had been struggling to hold on to, he was clean at ground level and he hit the scoreboard. He proved that when he gets to run and jump few key defenders can reach high enough to disrupt him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back