Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

16, 17 & 18th are going to be us, Tigers & Wet Toast.

Who do they need Souup ?
I actually think both of them would have FO'S at the top of their lists unfortunately with someone like Jagga Smith and/or Sid Draper up there too.

Richmond have Taranto and Hopper while West Coast have Reid and Ginbey, all of these guys are bigger bodied mids who they'll look to complement with some more agile types who have a better outside game.

This probably means we'll favour Trainor. I wouldn't be shocked to see us take Smilie though.

This is a chunky one. In the first half it felt as though Gerreyn was involved in every play as he racked up over 20 disposals. He was simply too much for East Fremantle to handle, too big, too strong and too skillful. After the last two weeks of dominating play it really feels as though Kayle has out grown the Colts competition. Time for a call up to the senior squad!

Struth,,,,did Plugger have a mistress over in the west?

Struth,,,,did Plugger have a mistress over in the west?
Close.

His old man - 6 foot 7 and about 100+ kgs steaming out of FF for Claremont, East Perth and WA state team.

Had hands like a vice and kicked straight too.

Could play.

I actually think both of them would have FO'S at the top of their lists unfortunately with someone like Jagga Smith and/or Sid Draper up there too.

Richmond have Taranto and Hopper while West Coast have Reid and Ginbey, all of these guys are bigger bodied mids who they'll look to complement with some more agile types who have a better outside game.

This probably means we'll favour Trainor. I wouldn't be shocked to see us take Smilie though.
Could Trainor pinch hit as a taller midfielder? Looks like he'd be comfortable almost anywhere on the ground.

Harry Armstrong vs Nate Caddy

Who is better?

Why?

Harry Armstrong V Nate Caddy
Contested Marking - Even
Leading Target - Caddy
Set Shot Goal Kicking - Armstrong
Overall Skill - Armstrong
Decision Making - Armstrong
Ground Level Game - Caddy
Ability to Push Up The Ground - Even
Forward Craft - Even
Genuine KP Height - Armstrong
Ability to Ruck - Armstrong
Mobility - Even
Overall Athleticism - Caddy
Bigger Body - Armstrong

I really rate Caddy, but I still think he ends up being a 3rd tall type rather than a big bodied key forward. I think he’ll struggle if he doesn’t have other key forward support around him. Armstrong more suited to our list profile because he is genuine KP height and has that natural forward craft, with the ability to play as a lead up CHF. The set shot goal kicking and overall decision making favours Armstrong too.

Contested Marking - Even
Leading Target - Caddy
Forward Craft - Even
Mobility - Even
Bigger Body - Armstrong

I really rate Caddy, but I still think he ends up being a 3rd tall type rather than a big bodied key forward. I think he’ll struggle if he doesn’t have other key forward support around him. Armstrong more suited to our list profile because he is genuine KP height and has that natural forward craft, with the ability to play as a lead up CHF. The set shot goal kicking and overall decision making favours Armstrong too.

Good wrap up.

I’ve always felt caddy’s marking was a little hit and miss. I haven’t seen much of Armstrong.

What were his injuries?

Contested Marking - Even
Leading Target - Caddy
Forward Craft - Even
Mobility - Even
Bigger Body - Armstrong

Do you have a category for not snap kicking a banana when 20 metres from goal pretty much right in front to seal a victory when a drop punt or in fact any other kick would do the job?

An interesting comment on FC tonight that the Crows have made it known they’re looking to trade their first for established talent.
North Melbourne Afl GIF by NMFCOfficial

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Armstrong vs Nate Caddy

Who is better?

Why?
Great question the big lebowski, let me start off by saying these two boys are going to be really good players for their club, Caddy to Essendon and whoever lands Harry. Right, lets get down to business, first of all different styles and the way they play, Nate is more the proto-type forward, using his strength and body positioning to get leverage and take control. Like Max King, Aaron Naughton from a short distance out, Harry Mckay and a few others, his problem has been his kicking for goal.

Every time a key forward gets picked up in the draft and have a problem with their kicking most {not all} supporters say the same thing, it will be okay, with our coaches we will fix that up, will be the least of our worries! Really? How's that working out for those players and yes they will have some good days but overall it is so frustrating for supporters for these young men to constantly miss easy shots and the more they do it the more pressure builds up so that they then revert to kicking around the corner from 40 to 50 metres out in which I've seen players do this which is so ridiculous and leads me to the opinion that they have lost all their confidence.

Enter the cauldron, Harry Armstrong, My nickname for him is DED, {dead eye dick}, when you watch him, you can tell that it certainly helped having a champion goalkicker in Mathew Lloyed in his ear. Yes he does miss, but so what, Phar Lap got beaten in a race, it happens, I'll tell you something else, it won't happen very often. His kicking for goal is elite, his marking is elite, what a refreshing change for a forward to possess these qualities.

If you watch his games, to me, his body movements and marking and even kicking for goal remind me a little bit of Jason Dunstall. Now I'm not saying he's the next Dunstall, but while he could play centre half forward, he's another player that could be dynamic as a full forward. Who is better? The answer is Harry but in truth its win for both players in this case, Essendon finally get their key forward {I know they got Harrison Jones and that he's only 23, he's been injured so many times} I think he will kick plenty of goals for them in his stay.

Harry, Harry, Harry, where do I start and where do I end, put simply he could well be the next superstar of the competition along with another key forward/ruck that hails from Western Australia, if some recruiters can see what I see in these two players, their excitement has to be flowing out the door, unless of course they get earmarked for a different position!

A mate of mine in the AFL coaching system told me that Smilie has a bit of an ego and got a huge eye opener when he didn’t get named in the AA team - rocked up to school the next day with a hair cut and full school uniform for the first time this year.

Anyone else across this little bit of info?

Said he also only played maybe one school game this year and got sent off? Is that right?

An interesting comment on FC tonight that the Crows have made it known they’re looking to trade their first for established talent.
That was kinda floated by Ralphy from his discussions with the Crows list boss during the year.
I'd guess Oliver, Lukosius or Petty. I think they'd be better off just taking Sid Draper.

I could see the Dockers taking Gerreyn at their last 1st rounder if they want a big forward next to Treacy and Amiss.
If a fair few recruiters haven't got him high on their list I would be very surprised, but then I hope I am wrong and he lasts to the second round and that we pick him up. For the first time in an AFL draft I'm hoping for a few things which I never do, so we will see what happens.

A mate of mine in the AFL coaching system told me that Smilie has a bit of an ego and got a huge eye opener when he didn’t get named in the AA team - rocked up to school the next day with a hair cut and full school uniform for the first time this year.

Anyone else across this little bit of info?

Said he also only played maybe one school game this year and got sent off? Is that right?

I had heard that he got a bit ahead of himself and was just cruising at training ect. Just expected it to happen. Hadn’t heard about the shaving his head or the school footy stuff.

Draper is the exact type of mid they need to compliment what they already have.

They don’t need an Oliver type in there!

Dawson-Draper-Rankine-Soligo-Berry -Dowling is a solid enough foundation imo

I had heard that he got a bit ahead of himself and was just cruising at training ect. Just expected it to happen. Hadn’t heard about the shaving his head or the school footy stuff.

He's at Whitefriars.

The ACC is done during school hours and is nothing really akin to the APS & AGS comps.

Not really worth playing for some kids. So not surprising he has only played 1 game.

I'm sure he will play in their Herald Sun Shield qualifying if they aren't already out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back