Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

I like the liking of Murphy Reid.

Very much a Sheezel-lite in terms of his skillset, play-style and even testing numbers.

Similar feelings regarding drafting him to Taj Hotton for me - I think he's a worthy top 3 selection but I'm not sure the club will have the balls to do it. I'd have both Hotton and Reid ahead of other more popular names like Smillie, Jagga Smith, Lalor and Langford.
Yeah can definitely see it, he has that thickness through the hips of Sheez giving him strength over the ball.

Biggest red flag for me with Murphy Reid is that he is a little bit on the softer side. Seen a few short steps and lack of commitment to the contest on more than a few occasions. That'll be glaring at AFL level. If you are going to be one paced (which Reid is), you really need to have truly elite disposal, and while he is really crisp by hand I'm not sure his kicking will stack up with the physicality and pressure of AFL footy.

Sheez is one paced but he makes up for it with extraordinary vision, freakish ability to dispose of the ball so fast and because of incredible composure. He and Pendlebury are the only two players in the comp that have that sort of combination, so I think it's unrealistic to expect any new draftees to have that same sort of spatial awareness and decision making speed.

IF NORTH MELBOURNE HAS PICK ONE:

Chris says:
If the Kangaroos finish with the No. 1 pick, I suspect they might look to trade it and move a few spots down the order. But will there be any buyers? We saw GWS trade up the No. 1 pick in 2022, handing North Melbourne back picks 3 and 12 and swapping some later selections. But with so much uncertainty around the top picks this year, clubs are unlikely to be desperate to move up. If the Roos were able to split the pick and move back to say No. 5, reliable 194cm intercept defender Luke Trainor would be an ideal fit.

Verdict: It’s time to start addressing some other areas of the ground outside of the midfield for the Kangaroos. Hence, Trainor might be the man even if they don’t trade the No. 1 selection.

Without ever seeing him play, not keen on taking a key back with pick 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For 2024, the main changes will be:

• Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.

• The AFL will also continue to run its review on changing the NGA zones ahead of Tasmania's entrance into the game and the required eligibility and sign-up process for NGA draftees.

• Free agency compensation picks will from now take into account contract length as a determining factor, however contracts less than two years, or more than five, will not be given any weight. The League will be more transparent with its free agency compensation formula using the year lengths of deals.

• Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.

• More flexibility in the drafting of father-son prospects as primary-listed players or rookie-listed players. Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.
For 2025, the main changes will be:

• The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.

For 2026, the main change will be:

• Live trading will be introduced for the 2026 mid-season rookie draft, allowing clubs to move up and down in the order or trade into the draft using end of year selections.

Last edited:
Reeks of the big clubs manipulating this. Scum get Kako for peanuts, Blues will get the twins for peanuts, Richmond get to flog off all their late selections for other firsts which were going to lose value. Yuck. Tigers could be looking at 5-6 first rounders this year if they can get their hands on Lions/Suns picks plus picks for Bolton, Baker and Rioli.

So much shit to decipher from that update. Laura Kane loves a buzz word: 'broader conversations', 'levers', 'frameworks', 'transparency', 'strategise'.... can't stand that corporate fluff.

Couple of comments:

• Free Agency compo weighting only going up to the 5th year of any proposed deal even if a 6-7-8-year deal is on the table. Makes absolutely no sense at all. It should be the total monetary value of the contract that dictates the compensation along with the other categories (age ect).
  • Steeper points curve makes a lot more sense. Takes out the ability for clubs to hoard picks later in the draft to get NGA's. Will inevitably stop clubs like Gold Coast and Sydney taking multiple players inside the top 20. Don't think we'll see a repeat of GC's haul last year.
  • Ofcourse we are looking at getting a few father son's just as the discount is decreased. I think a steeper points curve plus a decrease in the discount will result in a few tope end father sons playing elsewhere. Once again, the Northern clubs, particularly Brisbane with the Ashcroft's cash in at just the right time.

This is the one that really got me.

• From 2025 any player that has visited Sydney, the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, seen a Sydney Sweeney movie, seen a swan, seen; Dane Swan, Wayne Swan, Graeme Swan, Swan Lake, visited; Swan Hill, Swan Valley, the Swan River, Swanston Street, the Swan Hotel, Swanston Central, Swansea, drunk a can of Swan Lager or generally just swanned around will automatically included as part of the Swans Academy.

Rookie list will be extended to 5 years, games threshold is <10 games in the 3rd year, to activate a 4th or 5th year.

Academy/father son discount down to 10%.
I really don't know why there is a need to give a discount on anything in a draft...the discount is the ablility for a player to be bid upon by said club and that's it!

This is the one that really got me.

• From 2025 any player that has visited Sydney, the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, seen a Sydney Sweeney movie, seen a swan, seen; Dane Swan, Wayne Swan, Graeme Swan, Swan Lake, visited; Swan Hill, Swan Valley, the Swan River, Swanston Street, the Swan Hotel, Swanston Central, Swansea, drunk a can of Swan Lager or generally just swanned around will automatically included as part of the Swans Academy.
You do come up with some very funny posts Foote another doosie well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back