Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's definitely not decision making, ball in hand he makes the right decisions most of the time. Match that with his good vision and high footy IQ, he has the ability to play all over the ground.

I think noobermensch put it best. He has a bit of an uncoordinated kicking style, technically it is okay, but he seems to take him a long time to dispose of the ball (kind of like Darcy Tucker with his weird ball drop). I think it's because of his high knee running action and long legs, it just doesn't make for a real fluid kicking style. Results in him kicking the ball quite high, rather than low and flat, even with shorter 25-30m kicks. I think this clip below highlights it really well.

The hang time in his kicks, plus the time it takes for him to dispose of the ball is a bit of a concern with the increased speed at AFL level.

It's a bit pedantic, but I guess you have to be when you are judging talent in that top tier.

I see what you mean most of those kicks were lobs and even if his team mate had some separation on his opponent the kick turned it into a 1 v 1 or a pack situation.

Do we trade pick our top 3 pick for a 2nd rounder and future first? This year’s top end looks vanilla from a midfield point of view (Smillie is the only one who despite some doubts offers something different). We might be better off loading up on key position stocks in the 2nd / 3rd rounds, and go in with two first rounders next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
It's definitely not decision making, ball in hand he makes the right decisions most of the time. Match that with his good vision and high footy IQ, he has the ability to play all over the ground.

I think noobermensch put it best. He has a bit of an uncoordinated kicking style, technically it is okay, but he seems to take him a long time to dispose of the ball (kind of like Darcy Tucker with his weird ball drop). I think it's because of his high knee running action and long legs, it just doesn't make for a real fluid kicking style. Results in him kicking the ball quite high, rather than low and flat, even with shorter 25-30m kicks. I think this clip below highlights it really well.

The hang time in his kicks, plus the time it takes for him to dispose of the ball is a bit of a concern with the increased speed at AFL level.

It's a bit pedantic, but I guess you have to be when you are judging talent in that top tier.

Hard pass from me then.

Do we trade pick our top 3 pick for a 2nd rounder and future first? This year’s top end looks vanilla from a midfield point of view (Smillie is the only one who despite some doubts looks offers something different). We might be better off loading up on key position stocks in the 2nd / 3rd rounds, and go in with two first rounders next year.

Well if tigers pick someone else, we take smilie that's a no brainer.

He might not be a standout like reid, he does offer us something different to reid and all the other players.

We've never had a smilie type player in either of our previous 2 flag eras.

We just need to develop his overhead abilities and greater forward craft.

Full highlights of the fantastic Champs run by Metro MVP Murphy Reid.

The handball inboard at HB 30 metres confirms that this guy is all class. As others have said Sheezel’s-lite.

If we have a chance to grab him, playing him across half-back would be sweet before he has the body.

He is the sort of player that will go to Geelong and have a 250 game, gun mid career.

With a top 3 pick locked in assuming we keep it

1 of FOS, Smillie or Trainor should be a roo at years end
Draper is coming hard around the last corner. He is playing against men and just seems like all class.

You wouldn’t really be disappointed with any of the top 10 prospects, but as others have said, if we are to pick mid first, then go a versatile mid. The reports are that FOS is that.

Draper is coming hard around the last corner. He is playing against men and just seems like all class.

You wouldn’t really be disappointed with any of the top 10 prospects, but as others have said, if we are to pick mid first, then go a versatile mid. The reports are that FOS is that.
Excellent!!
Hi Justin, you want Sid? How about we swap 3 for your 4 and 28?
G'day SoS, after Sid? How about we swap 3 and Lazzaro for your 5 and 24?

I have seen people say we want another Sheez and that this bloke is it. If he was 2-3 inches taller I think he’d be pick 1. So clean with everything he does.

He looks good. Just had a closer look at his highlights and for me it’s either him or Smillie now. If we have Reid in mind, it’s hard to see how Will Phil stays on the list (as much as I have held out hope for him, this guy looks a better 180cm prospect).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get a little nervous thinking of a midfield selection of Reid of the Murphy kind, Jy, Powell, Phillips, Sheezel, Murphy, Ldu and Wardlaw.

Not because he would be a bad choice, but more so the plethora of 180cm mids who aren’t necessarily hurting you with much else besides disposal ability/ vision.

George and Ldu being the outliers here, and it shows how much we miss Tarryn and his ability to change a rotation.

I think from a needs perspective, what do we need more of urgently?
Another 186-188cm talented half back?
A smart and great user of the ball mid?
An explosive/strong mid? (my pick)
Small forward? (Probably most dire)
Or KP’s?

Last edited:
Do we trade pick our top 3 pick for a 2nd rounder and future first? This year’s top end looks vanilla from a midfield point of view (Smillie is the only one who despite some doubts offers something different). We might be better off loading up on key position stocks in the 2nd / 3rd rounds, and go in with two first rounders next year.

Nah this draft is deep so I wouldn't want to be trading out of the 1st round and if anything you'd want more 1sts.
I think we'd slide back before trading out for a F1 and don't see bottom five sides in Tigers/WCE/Saints giving up a F1.

We might trade our F1 or slide back and get two 7-14 picks if we wanted some combination of Trainor/Lalor/Reid/Travaglia/Armstrong/Berry/Whitlock/Lindsey etc.

Xerri with LDU, George, Sheezel, Colby and Draper is what I like atm.

Good luck stopping that from 2026 and beyond.
Slot any above average midfielder in with what we have, and we are good to go.
If Draper is live when we pick, we should be trying to collect extra picks from Adeliade.

Pick 2, f3 for 4, 28, f2

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the top end of the draft being so even do you think you guys will consider Trainor at pick 1/2?
You seem flushed with mids.
Personally I think we do consider Trainor ,but there will be a lot of people relieved that it’s not up to me.

Anyone confirm if Malakai Champion is NGA? If he is that will remove another small forward from the available draft pool.
Can't confirm 100% but it seems like he is, this is from the AFL website.

"St Kilda’s NGA pair Adrian Cole and Lennox Hoffman and West Coast’s Malakai Champion are among the other prospects who could be top-40 players who will benefit from the rule change"

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back