Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What are people’s thoughts on Jesse Dattoli?

May fall in between our 2nd & 3rd round pick but I think he’s the 3rd best small forward in it. Good user and runner, decent around goals, decent overhead, unsure what his testing is like but doesn’t seem slow off the eye test.

Such a natural footballer, just have question marks on his speed and athleticism ect at AFL level. So good overhead for a kid his size and is so natural in front of goals.

Would you be for any of these? I don’t mind it if we nail all our mids and go KPP with later picks next year
Yes without detailed knowledge I'd like the club to be bold and trade out next years first for another top 5 pick this year. Its a gamble but it means other clubs are more likely to part with a higher pick this year as opposed to us wining say 8 games next year then that future pick would become less valuable to other clubs. Risk vs reward. Also gets another 2 high end picks into the club this year. I would prefer to part with this years 2nd rounder and a future 2nd but unsure what that would get us? Interested in those more knowledgeable around drafting regarding options here.

Like to see Trainor picked, but going to be difficult to pass on Armstrong at 195cm and an engine that has him running all over the ground.
I'm with you on that. I'd say there are a couple of key forwards and as many as 6 midfielders in this draft who could become match winners. Trainor? Not sure he fits that bill.

Big bags of goals are a little more rare in this competition in recent years, but Sims showed just how dangerous he can be posting the largest single game tally of the season so far with seven. He started slowly, barely sighted through three and a half quarters before suddenly bursting into life, slotting goals and find space everywhere in the forward line, piling on four goals in a 10 minute burst to close the third term. He kept up that form through the fourth quarter, adding three more and honestly could have had 10 or more with a number of other gettable chances going astray.

Big bags of goals are a little more rare in this competition in recent years, but Sims showed just how dangerous he can be posting the largest single game tally of the season so far with seven. He started slowly, barely sighted through three and a half quarters before suddenly bursting into life, slotting goals and find space everywhere in the forward line, piling on four goals in a 10 minute burst to close the third term. He kept up that form through the fourth quarter, adding three more and honestly could have had 10 or more with a number of other gettable chances going astray.

Oooo...I think Zak Johnson had a great game as well and it was more like Jagga vs Northern...Chargers got smashed that day!!

If Rioli goes to the GC and Baker and Bolton to Freo then those picks won’t stay with them.
2 for 6&7 in that instance once the dust settles on the Punt Rd carnage.

Pick up Armstrong and one of Langford/Murphy/Berry/Trainor

Tiges still get the top 2 kids in the draft with two mid-first as cherries on top.

I don’t know his kicking DE stats, but contested midfielders generally have lower DE. He is a meters gained pig though. He actually reminds me a little of Jack Ziebell in juniors, even his kicking action is similar. We all know Jack was a booming kick, but far too often just dumped it long rather than hitting targets. I think that can be the case with Langford too. However, when in space and kicking inside 50 he can mail some absolute beauties.

I know there has been some talk about his poor pre season testing, but to the eye he seems to cover the ground quite well getting from contest to contest and pushing hard defensively and offensively. I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t significantly improve his testing numbers.
Yeah I'm thinking it's more a picking the right option issue vs technical. I see a bit of Tucker and Jordan Lewis in him.
He does appear to cover ground well so I'd think his endurance numbers should be better.

Tiges still get the top 2 kids in the draft with two mid-first as cherries on top.
I think Armstrong will be highly sort after!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see that happening, we wouldn't do that. I think they'd be better off taking three kids in the top 15 vs the top 2.

Yes without detailed knowledge I'd like the club to be bold and trade out next years first for another top 5 pick this year. Its a gamble but it means other clubs are more likely to part with a higher pick this year as opposed to us wining say 8 games next year then that future pick would become less valuable to other clubs. Risk vs reward. Also gets another 2 high end picks into the club this year. I would prefer to part with this years 2nd rounder and a future 2nd but unsure what that would get us? Interested in those more knowledgeable around drafting regarding options here.
Usually the club trading out of the 1st round wants a gun player or a F1 involved before any 2nd rounder and F2/F3 offers, similar to the Dogs Sanders trade last year. A top 8 team like Lions might be a chance but they'd need a bunch of 2nd rounders and other picks this year to match bids for Ashcroft and Marshall. And it might be pick 18 anyway so no point.
Tigers could trump us with that 2nd and F2 offer anyway so it's unlikely to unlock a move up the order.
I just can't see too many teams trading out of the top 18 unfortunately.

That’s not going to happen. If the situation was reversed and we had 1,6,7 and traded 6 and 7 for 2 this board would melt.

Freos first pick is currently at #13 .

Yes, there’s a lot to play out with who has what.

Freos first pick is currently at #13 .
They have the Pies 1st at pick 8 currently (Schulz trade). Then pick 13 is their own. Then 17 (Port - Ratugolea trade).
GC has pick 7 and 12. 7 (GC) & 8 (Freo/Pies) for pick 2 is not going to happen.
7/8 and 12 would be close to the Wardlaw trade of 2 for 8 and 12.

Worth trading our F1 to get? We'll likely get another good forward option with our second rounder. We could end up with FOS, Armstrong and Whitlock/Sims.
Dunno if a F1 would do it, the hype on Armstrong is growing by the day and, l think, it's one of those names you plonk on the board and have 'pick 1?' doubled circled...there's a lot of Cadman hype starting to build.

My gut feel is what the tiggers do with Baker, Bolton and Rioli will shape the draft..i think Twomey reported that tiggers are keen on keeping Baker than the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back