Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Been looking at few players who'll be available later on in the draft. I've already mentioned Jacques, Retschko, Greggo, Evan Bradley and Jack Ough, but there are a few others I like with later picks either beyond pick 50 or in the rookie draft.

Nathaniel Sulzberger 187cm midfielder - Solidly built powerful midfielder who can role forward and kick goals. Started the season off a little slow and probably didn't have the expected impact at the championships playing for the allies,but has since improved considerably with both school and CTL league form. Had 29 disposals and kicked 3 goals in his most recent game. Really like his breakaway speed, strength over the ball, defensive intensity and his overhead marking. Has bucketloads of upside and could end up filling multiple roles across the ground.

Charlie Nicholls 197cm key forward - SA Tall forward with vicelike hands. Needs to work on his in-game decision making but he has decent forward craft and it able to find the ball up the ground as a traditional CHF. Solid athlete, who is not bad at ground level. Can rotate through the ruck, but I don't think he plays through the ruck much in the seniors. Has the body shape that will add bulk quite easily. Think there is plenty to work with there. Averaging over 2 goals per game at SANFL colts level.

James Barrat 193cm forward/defender - Handy key forward/defender who probably ends up playing more of a 3rd tall at AFL level. While he didn't have a huge impact for country in the champs, he has arguably been one of the most reliable and consistent talls in the Coates league. It hasn't mattered if he plays forward, back or even through the midfield, no matter where he plays, he has an impact. Started off the season kicking 18 goals in the first 6 games. Since that point he has been playing more as a swingman, often starting back then pushing forward later on in games. In recent week he has had multiple games where he has had over 10 rebound 50's. Barratt is such a natural footballer, he understands positioning, protecting space and times his leads/intercepting really well. Once he fills out, he is going to be a solid lad too. He is strong in the contest and is the most prolific marker in the Coates League, averaging 7.2 marks per game. Athletically he passes the eye test, but I'll be keen to see how he tests at the combine. I think at AFL level he'd be perfectly suited to playing as a 3rd tall inceptor across half back.

noobermensch uploaded a vid of this weekend's game just yesterday.

Hugh Boxshall 187cm midfielder/utility - Another taller, more powerful midfielder who is a fantastic athletic but matches that with genuine footy IQ. Is one of the better overhead marks in this draft class and he uses the ball really well. Has good balance between his inside and outside game and can play roles across half back, wing or as a centre square midfielder. He is one of those midfielders who can find time and space and never really seems rushed with his disposal. Due to his marking capacity and athletic capability, I think he has a future as a half back at AFL level.

Oliver Hannaford 180cm midfielders/forward - Up there with Tom Gross and Cody Anderson are the most defensively minded mids/half forwards in the CTL. He attacks the footy with complete disregard for his body and follows up with multiple efforts at every chance. Averages 4.5 tackles per game. Since round 10 he has been more playing across half forward and thus he is getting more chances to impact the scoreboard kicking multiple goals in 4 of the last 6 games, including a 5 goal haul against the Chargers. I think at AFL level he ends up being a dfensively minded half forward in that Bailey Banfield role for Freo. Just love the way he goes about it.

Sulzberger looks alright, we need to get one of him or Ough hopefully for that running half back/wing.
Like Nichols as well as a late kpf but not sure how we can get the picks other than splitting.

Tuff decision for the recruitment team. Keep pick 2 and go best mid FOS or split and maybe go Trainor + Armstrong
Future backline would look good with Archer, Will Dawson, Goater, Trainor, Hardeman, Bergman.

Tuff decision for the recruitment team. Keep pick 2 and go best mid FOS or split and maybe go Trainor + Armstrong
Future backline would look good with Archer, Will Dawson, Goater, Trainor, Hardeman, Bergman.
Go Trainor and Armstrong is my pick...

Sulzberger looks alright, we need to get one of him or Ough hopefully for that running half back/wing.
Like Nichols as well as a late kpf but not sure how we can get the picks other than splitting.

Personally I’m hoping we can nab Jacques or Retschko with one of 3rd round picks, hopefully then get one of these boys with our later round or rookie picks!

Yeah its not worth wasting energy on but he was as talented as Sheeze. But if we get Duursma's development right then we'll have someone who can play nearly as well and bring just as much x factor.

Its an insult to the talent Tarryn pissed away compared to anyone on our list. I think we only ever saw was Tarryn at about 50%.

Been looking at few players who'll be available later on in the draft. I've already mentioned Jacques, Retschko, Greggo, Evan Bradley and Jack Ough, but there are a few others I like with later picks either beyond pick 50 or in the rookie draft.

Nathaniel Sulzberger 187cm midfielder - Solidly built powerful midfielder who can role forward and kick goals. Started the season off a little slow and probably didn't have the expected impact at the championships playing for the allies,but has since improved considerably with both school and CTL league form. Had 29 disposals and kicked 3 goals in his most recent game. Really like his breakaway speed, strength over the ball, defensive intensity and his overhead marking. Has bucketloads of upside and could end up filling multiple roles across the ground.

Charlie Nicholls 197cm key forward - SA Tall forward with vicelike hands. Needs to work on his in-game decision making but he has decent forward craft and it able to find the ball up the ground as a traditional CHF. Solid athlete, who is not bad at ground level. Can rotate through the ruck, but I don't think he plays through the ruck much in the seniors. Has the body shape that will add bulk quite easily. Think there is plenty to work with there. Averaging over 2 goals per game at SANFL colts level.

James Barrat 193cm forward/defender - Handy key forward/defender who probably ends up playing more of a 3rd tall at AFL level. While he didn't have a huge impact for country in the champs, he has arguably been one of the most reliable and consistent talls in the Coates league. It hasn't mattered if he plays forward, back or even through the midfield, no matter where he plays, he has an impact. Started off the season kicking 18 goals in the first 6 games. Since that point he has been playing more as a swingman, often starting back then pushing forward later on in games. In recent week he has had multiple games where he has had over 10 rebound 50's. Barratt is such a natural footballer, he understands positioning, protecting space and times his leads/intercepting really well. Once he fills out, he is going to be a solid lad too. He is strong in the contest and is the most prolific marker in the Coates League, averaging 7.2 marks per game. Athletically he passes the eye test, but I'll be keen to see how he tests at the combine. I think at AFL level he'd be perfectly suited to playing as a 3rd tall inceptor across half back.

noobermensch uploaded a vid of this weekend's game just yesterday.

Hugh Boxshall 187cm midfielder/utility - Another taller, more powerful midfielder who is a fantastic athletic but matches that with genuine footy IQ. Is one of the better overhead marks in this draft class and he uses the ball really well. Has good balance between his inside and outside game and can play roles across half back, wing or as a centre square midfielder. He is one of those midfielders who can find time and space and never really seems rushed with his disposal. Due to his marking capacity and athletic capability, I think he has a future as a half back at AFL level.

Oliver Hannaford 180cm midfielders/forward - Up there with Tom Gross and Cody Anderson are the most defensively minded mids/half forwards in the CTL. He attacks the footy with complete disregard for his body and follows up with multiple efforts at every chance. Averages 4.5 tackles per game. Since round 10 he has been more playing across half forward and thus he is getting more chances to impact the scoreboard kicking multiple goals in 4 of the last 6 games, including a 5 goal haul against the Chargers. I think at AFL level he ends up being a dfensively minded half forward in that Bailey Banfield role for Freo. Just love the way he goes about it.

This will be a very interesting draft indeed. I am nervous and intrigued at what we will do.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Langford very disappointing today considering the raps placed on him. Can't see him being an effective midfielder at AFL level. Racking up useless disposals.

Not worth a mention in top 10 discussions.

Slower than a Roman Sun Dial.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cadman and Watson are exactly what we need. They were both bird in the hand picks.
Clarkson needs to call the shots on top end picks. Should’ve done so when he was enamoured with Curtin last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cadman and Watson are exactly what we need. They were both bird in the hand picks.
Clarkson needs to call the shots on top end picks. Should’ve done so when he was enamoured with Curtin last year.
So you’d prefer Cadman over Sheezel & Wardlaw? The only reason GWS get involved in the mega trade is so they could take Cadman with pick 1.

Last edited:
Had our chance ...too small..seriously spend pick 4 on a small forward...blah...blah...blah...now we're scramble to find/lure one and when it looked like there was one draftable, the AFL changed the rule.

I want needs based drafting over best available. But if some of these needs based fellas drop into the second round, i’d look at swapping future second pick with a club to get an extra second pick.
We should try and do that anyway. Crows might be the one as GC don't need 25 for Luko as it would be absorbed with the Lombard academy bid. Alix Tauru, Matt Whitlock or GMan would go very nicely with pick 22.

I want needs based drafting over best available. But if some of these needs based fellas drop into the second round, i’d look at swapping future second pick with a club to get an extra second pick.
A KPF with our 2nd would be great Jack Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan & Jonty Faull all around that mark according to Cal’s form guide.

Ollie Hannaford, Jack Ough & Jonty Faull were all instrumental for the Rebels win over Geelong. Hannaford continue his rich vein of form kicking 6, Faull with 4 and a couple of really nice contested marks. Ough, the driving force in the midfield with a stack of possessions and inside 50’s.

Not many standouts for Geelong. Jacques was disappointing, and had a few goals kicked on him. River Stevens kicked a goal but just didn’t seem to get into the game much getting only 13 touches. Seemed to playing that high half forward role but was closely checked by Harry Charleston all day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back