Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

What I find is a bit… disconcerting?… is that Ben Campo’s highlights look as good, if not better, than some of the top 5 picks. Watch him in the Draper highlights or even the FOS highlights above.

I feel he’s being downgraded because of his kicking… but is everyone underrating him?
I've said for a long time if Ben Campo sorts out his kicking he'll be a top 10 player in this draft. If it stands out as poor at junior level however, it most certainly will look worse at AFL level.

I've said for a long time if Ben Campo sorts out his kicking he'll be a top 10 player in this draft. If it stands out as poor at junior level however, it most certainly will look worse at AFL level.
I think it depends on what type of player he becomes, I think most simply assume he will be a winger because of his genes but Dangerfield, Cripps etc are far from great kicks.. Nick Daicos was criticised early because of not being able to hurt by foot.. On the slip side plenty of elite kicks at junior level fail under the pressure of AFL IMO being a good decision maker with ball in hand is equally as important as the ability to execute.

I think it depends on what type of player he becomes, I think most simply assume he will be a winger because of his genes but Dangerfield, Cripps etc are far from great kicks.. Nick Daicos was criticised early because of not being able to hurt by foot.. On the slip side plenty of elite kicks at junior level fail under the pressure of AFL IMO being a good decision maker with ball in hand is equally as important as the ability to execute.
He's Hewett if he could run but not as tidy a kick. His motor is elite though, gets up and back as well as any.

He'll be solid depth at worst but I see him being the in and under dirty work type when Cody, Walsh, Cerra and Pick 3 are the glitz and glam on the outside.

Rowbottom to Heeney, Gulden and Warner would be the easy comparison.

Regarding FOS, he was looking like THAT player last year ahead of Jagga but he really hasn’t shown a lot of ball winning or gut running ability since he came back this year. The clean ball handling and marking as well as athleticism was still there but not so much the ability or indication that he could dominate a game in the midfield.

It was a thumb injury. Compare this to comments from someone like Ollie Hollands about the covid years where he contacted AFL clubs about their running programs and came back a gut running machine. That’s what you want to see from someone in their time off.

I see a player very similar to Elijah Hollands. Another good player with good skills and athleticism but who possibly is better off receiving the ball just outside of the contest rather than putting in Cripps type performances. I saw that in his VFL game for Richmond too. Low possession count but did some very nice things at half forward and kicked a couple of goals. Jagga got 31 touches in his first VFL game.

Is he in the mix for pick 3? For me, only if Smith and Lalor are gone already.
Thanks for insights.

Who else is the mix and who would you pick if Smith and Lalor gone.

He's Hewett if he could run but not as tidy a kick. His motor is elite though, gets up and back as well as any.

He'll be solid depth at worst but I see him being the in and under dirty work type when Cody, Walsh, Cerra and Pick 3 are the glitz and glam on the outside.

Rowbottom to Heeney, Gulden and Warner would be the easy comparison.
Solid outcome from a pick that will end up in the 30s

I think he has a very high floor.

But not that much higher a ceiling.

I think that George Hewett role of workhorse accumulator with defensive edge will be his go.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

History is the good judge on these outcomes and if we go back over the past 10 years,

Pick 4 (it will end up 4 with Ashcorft) Pick 13 & Pick 15
15 - Caytlon Oliver v Matt Kennedy & Daniel Rioli --
16 - Ben Ainsworth v Daniel Venebles & Jordan Galucci - yuck
17 - LDU v Jarrod Brander & Zac Bailey - LDU wins
18 - Max King v Isaac Quaynor & Jordan CLark - arguable
19 - Lachlan Ash v Will Day 7 Cody Wieghman..
20 - Logan McDonald v Tom Powell & Connor Stone
21 - Nick Daicos/ Mac Andrew v Ben Hobbs & Leek Aleer
22- George Wardlaw v Jedd Bussinger v Matthew Jefferson
23 - Zane Duursma v Koltyn Thonstrup & Jordan Croft

13 & 15 are likely to blow out further with Academy selections with Lombard, Kako & Marshall however what this clearly shows is that pick 4 unless we royally f@ck it up is a lock to be a good to great player and their is no guarantees once you get into the teens..

Interested in the experts views on now that Carlton has pick 3 in all reality is pick 4 once Ashcroft goes as to how much that changes the draft order, there is obviously a player Nick Austin really likes at the top end and would it surprise if that is someone like Tauru.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of Lalor jagga or FOS for me

Wouldn’t be against Draper either but would prefer the others. Not any big call there ik 😂

I just don't see it with O'Sullivan, obviously only going on highlights above and some other vids i've watched but is just vanilla for mine.

Smith is next level in and around the contest but curious about potential for his physical growth, very skinny. I guess if you can't get hold of him it doesn't really matter (N Daicos like).

I like one of Draper, Smith or Lalor although is Lalor too close to what we already have running through the middle.

I can't imagine Jagga makes it past 2.

So really whoever Tigs don't take at 1 out of

Lalor, O'Sullivan, Draper

Midfield POD

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do North really need another accumulating midfielder? Surely they want someone with x-factor. They have Sheezel, LDU, Wardlaw already at the club.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the pre-injury/taking it easy FOS highlights?
I'm worried we're drafting lukocious lite.

I just came across some sanfl u18 testing results from Feb 2023. Draper went 2.94 in the 20m sprint and 7.80 in the agility test. Would have been enough for 5th and 1st at this year's draft combine. That was 1.5 years ago!

Draper's issue is max speed, not acceleration. He'd make differences in some stoppage situations, and he's going to run all day too, but I don't think he suits our midfield mix.
Sounds like Tiges take at 1
Really? I'm iffy on him for top 5, let alone pick 1. Wonder if the talk of Tauru to North at 2 is accurate? Or perhaps it goes Lalor, then FOB or Smillie?

If pick 3 means Jagga Smith, then I'm much more onboard, but I will still be looking over at Hotton and Hynes.

I wouldn't imagine we simply go Best available with pick 3 as we need Midfield speed or mid / forward. Reason why we seem to be pushing out Kennedy because he doesn't want to play that dual role (and doesn't have turn of foot which we lack). Any idea who the best play who fits our needs will be in that top 5?

Regarding FOS, he was looking like THAT player last year ahead of Jagga but he really hasn’t shown a lot of ball winning or gut running ability since he came back this year. The clean ball handling and marking as well as athleticism was still there but not so much the ability or indication that he could dominate a game in the midfield.

It was a thumb injury. Compare this to comments from someone like Ollie Hollands about the covid years where he contacted AFL clubs about their running programs and came back a gut running machine. That’s what you want to see from someone in their time off.

I see a player very similar to Elijah Hollands. Another good player with good skills and athleticism but who possibly is better off receiving the ball just outside of the contest rather than putting in Cripps type performances. I saw that in his VFL game for Richmond too. Low possession count but did some very nice things at half forward and kicked a couple of goals. Jagga got 31 touches in his first VFL game.

Is he in the mix for pick 3? For me, only if Smith and Lalor are gone already.
Maybe he has made contact and cool your jets was relayed. Perfect draft planning = pre-season we’ll have you working on some things.

Sorry to intrude but over on the Tigs board we are having fun about the Eagles trade today so I put this together, thought you lot might appreciate it as well

Eagles not taking the breakup well...............

eagles jilted.png

Last edited:
I was all aboard the Draper bandwagon… but then Jimmae told me he was slow with no explosive power.

I know you're being ironic, but Draper is quite literally the exact opposite of that.

For mine, its Draper or Lalor at 3. Draper being the safer bet with runs on the board vs men (averaging 25 odd over 6 weeks in the SANFL), and who would be good to go R1 next year.

Added plus of Draper is he knows the Campo twins (and Moir) pretty well, which will help with settling them all in.

Both Draper and Lalor offer us the exact thing our midfield needs, speed, power and penetration inside 50. Either would do me fine.

I'm terrified we'll select FOS though. He's the exact player we don't need. A low disposal mid (and a slower burn) with question marks galore.

Hoping the Tiges trade for Norths 2 and take FOS with one of them (I hear they're into him, and we might have spooked them by trading up).

That would give them Lalor (who they're rumored to be into at 1) and FOS (at 2) leaving us free to take Draper at 3 before the Crows swoop at 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back