• Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

"But I am no expert obviously. Will probably win 3 brownlows!"
So you're amazed how "certain" I am even though I stated the above?

I really mean no disrespect to FOS. Just my opinion based on the very little I've seen. In the state games / VFL he did look classy but quiet I would say - to me in my very uncertain / limited view on these players.
You aren’t the only person on here. So many people are watching 5 minute highlights and talking like the are professional scouts

I have no idea who we will take or who the best option is but I will say we will be happy with whoever Austin gets at 3, his record is brilliant

Still can’t fathom West Coast strategy with Hawthorn or lack there of, boy did they F that up…
I agree but it actually turned out o.k. for them getting a future 1st, future 2nd and future 3rd for a 29 year old Barass. Ready just when they will have a crack at Warner.

We fleeced them but they learned their lesson and fleeced the Hawks.

Draper should be available at our pick. the others unlikely
Given we have Pick #3 and we're talking about 4 players, at a minimum 50% of those 4 players will absolutely be available at our pick and there's a chance, not insignificant, that someone like a Reid, Langford, Smilie or Taura could go at #2 which would make it 75% of those four players available at our pick. I wouldn't say it is there "unlikely" that we get a look at any of those four players. Clearly we will miss out on at least 1, but every chance we have our choice of 2 or 3 of those.

If that happens, and we were targeting FOS as the media have suggested, do we then:

a. select Jagga
b. select Sid
c. select another
d. trade down
e. have a cold beer
Take Jagga if not then Sid, do NOT trade down.

Plus there is no way we traded for pick 3 with just 1 player in mind, Austin isn’t stupid. There would be a few in mind that we want

I've given it a lot of thought since the trade period finished and I'm pretty convinced we need to get Reid at #3 if available.

Considering our gameplan, we need someone who can hit targets and his disposal and decision making is excellent.
You don't need to have pace if you are 'quick of mind' can get to the right spots and can quickly hit targets under pressure.

I would hate for #3 to be used to go for someone (like Draper) who has a bit of pace but potential to butcher the ball.
We were slaughtered all year from turnovers, and If you don't have good disposal naturally it isn't going to come later.

Reid sticks out like proverbials to me.

If not Reid, then an explosive power mid like Lalor (if available) but as I mentioned before, I think he's going to have an uphill battle with his weight (hoping he's a hard worker).
Don't want to sound too aggressive but this is complete and utter baloney. I see this written so often but it's just completely false.

Leg speed and athleticism in general are absolutely critical in the modern game.

Go watch some vision of us defending in transition and you'll see our midfielders starting even with an opposition player in the corridor and ending up 30m behind simply because they're incapable of keeping up with their opponent. We are miles behind other teams in this facet of the game.

Our midfield is desperate for speed and pressure in it, thats why we traded Kennedy and why Austin has traded up into the mix for one of the top 3 midfielders in the draft who are all explosive athletes.

Reid is a good player but Austin has made clear we need an injection of pace into this side and he doesn't come close to bringing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid is reminiscent of Andrew McGrath to me. Think he'll be a decent and fairly consistent player, but not one that makes a significant difference to the fortunes of whichever club takes him.

If we'd only been able to get as high as Pick 9 or 10, I'd have been OK with us taking him given his disposal skills, but up at 3 we need to be targetting someone who changes the dynamic of our midfield.

The vast majority of opinions on this site and outside it that have watched full games/far more of these players love FOS and rate him incredibly highly.

Obviously a lot of us here are playing catch up with knowing the players at the top end of the draft, but my read is that he has by far the highest ceiling in this top bracket, but also the lowest floor.

We won’t get a bad player whoever we choose, hard not to be excited

Just watched the highlight videos…geez Lalor is powerful…must say FOS is behind smith, Lalor and Draper…I’m no recruiter but I had Dow behind cerra and LDU
Same
Was praying for Ldu
Even tho I was a Dow fan till the end it was tough watching the pair right from draft night
Hope we don’t have the same scenario with FOS (if the media mourners are to be believed) and Draper the next pick

I'm seeing a lot of people in here focusing on what Sid Draper aka SoD (Son of Don) can't do in this thread recently.

Interesting that the only "flaw" in his game that's been found so far is that his kicking isn't "elite".

Wake up and smell the coffee people, the kid is gonna be a star.

Absof……loutely the Sid is a Jet!

I’ll make a big statement he’ll be as good as Harley.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be very good but is an accumulator we don’t need another one of them.

I can see that but I see him as more than just an accumulator. His hands below his knees are top shelf and he’s so slippery

I personally think all the kids are gonna be good I’d just rather not pick one that has a little risk element

Don't want to sound too aggressive but this is complete and utter baloney. I see this written so often but it's just completely false.

Leg speed and athleticism in general are absolutely critical in the modern game.

Go watch some vision of us defending in transition and you'll see our midfielders starting even with an opposition player in the corridor and ending up 30m behind simply because they're incapable of keeping up with their opponent.
We are miles behind other teams in this facet of the game.

Our midfield is desperate for speed and pressure in it, thats why we traded Kennedy and why Austin has traded up into the mix for one of the top 3 midfielders in the draft who are all explosive athletes.

Reid is a good player but Austin has made clear we need an injection of pace into this side and he doesn't come close to bringing that.
Each to their own but I just dont agree.

Brisbane demonstrated in the grand final how critical great disposal is. Sydney aren't slow.
Bulldogs aren't fast (Trelor has great burst speed), but their ball transition & disposal is very damaging.

You are effectively arguing that our mids are not capable of chasing and keeping up, but a couple of things on this;

- If we don't have the ball, a single draftee isn't going help us get faster across the entire midfield. Explosive speed does not necessarily translate into gut running. Besides, which ones of those top 5 picks are rated as pacey other than Draper?

- If you are doing endless 2-way running it's because you are turning the ball over. No wonder we get caught 30 metres behind when our players are gassed.

But, no doubt we are slow. George is not quick, nor is Crippa, nor was Kennedy.

I'm not arguing against getting pace - I welcome it! But, not at the expense of disposal. A few of those top picks aren't rated highly in this area.

I can see that but I see him as more than just an accumulator. His hands below his knees are top shelf and he’s so slippery

I personally think all the kids are gonna be good I’d just rather not pick one that has a little risk element

I think we did that with Walsh I just feel this time we’re taking the risky option which I’m all for.

Each to their own but I just dont agree.

Brisbane demonstrated in the grand final how critical great disposal is. Sydney aren't slow.
Bulldogs aren't fast (Trelor has great burst speed), but their ball transition & disposal is very damaging.

You are effectively arguing that our mids are not capable of chasing and keeping up, but a couple of things on this;

- If we don't have the ball, a single draftee isn't going help us get faster across the entire midfield. Explosive speed does not necessarily translate into gut running. Besides, which ones of those top 5 picks are rated as pacey other than Draper?

- If you are doing endless 2-way running it's because you are turning the ball over. No wonder we get caught 30 metres behind when our players are gassed.

But, no doubt we are slow. George is not quick, nor is Crippa, nor was Kennedy.

I'm not arguing against getting pace - I welcome it! But, not at the expense of disposal. A few of those top picks aren't rated highly in this area.
None of the top picks have elite disposal. The best is likely Reid and he is generic and soft in elements of his game. I'd rather take the attributes that impact games consistently - clean hands, stoppage craft, breakaway from stoppage, second efforts - these are all fundamental and available at all times when the ball is at contest or neutral. Having good disposal is worth nothing if you can't regularly win or receive the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back