Votes: 21 6.4%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 52 15.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

The last half a decade of All Australian key position defenders include: Jacob Weitering (Pick 1), Jeremy McGovern (Rookie Pick), Callum Wilkie (Rookie Draft), Darcy Moore (Pick 9), Tom Stewart (Pick 40), Steven May (u17 draft), Sam Taylor (Pick 28), Aliir Aliir (Pick 44), Jake Lever (Pick 14).

It's one of the few positions on the ground where you can get away with elite players at late selections and even rookies, I don't think we need to pay up for a defender.
it'll be another year spent in a leaky boat.

Jagga Smith would be a great pick up. Looks like a butters/serong type hybrid that could add to our mids.

I'd be shocked if the Tigers don't pick him with pick 1 or even pick 2 that they will probably get from North.

From the limited footage I've seen of Draper he is giving me Dow vibes and I can't shake it. Dow with better hand passing. Just looks like he is quick but indeceive with ball in hand and a bit of a hack kick (better kicking than Dow though).

Out of the proposed top 4 I want Smith but I don't think we will be that lucky. He just screams next Richmond captain in about 4-5 years time unfortunately.
Listen to Cal Twomey doesn’t sound like Finn and Lalor are gonna make it past pick 2 … I really am starting to believe Jagga will be our selection with pick 3 and fox footy today linked us with Jagga too for what it’s worth ….

I want Draper, but have a feeling it'll end up:

1. Lalor
2. O'Sullivan (Richmond trade for pick 2)
3. Smith
4. Draper
Very hard to predict V23. Be assured the club has spared no expense and invested a fair bit in the latest sports recruitment technolgy to get this right.

Feel free to re-post this in the "Rumours Only: NO DISCUSSION" thread.

1729227819215.png

Listen to Cal Twomey doesn’t sound like Finn and Lalor are gonna make it past pick 2 … I really am starting to believe Jagga will be our selection with pick 3 and fox footy today linked us with Jagga too for what it’s worth ….

Traditionally we'd find some reason not take him - too small etc - but I look at his highlights and just looks like exactly what we need as - to use a cliche - a point of difference.

Very hard to predict V23. Be assured the club has spared no expense and invested a fair bit in the latest sports recruitment technolgy to get this right.

Feel free to re-post this in the "Rumours Only: NO DISCUSSION" thread.

View attachment 2146759

Looks like the bottle landed on Ashcroft or Smillie. :oops:

I hope North bid on Ashcroft at 2, if not us. Need to flush out those Brisbane picks and not have them gain him for less.

looks like we aren't looking to fix our problem (backline)...like sheep everyone looks at on-ballers...well, my choice is Bo Allen has all the prerequisites...a bull...clean hands...good leg...leg speed and height.
Why are people labeled sheep if they like a certain player for Carlton to draft. I like Draper or Smith but whoever Carlton draft than I will support. When people call other people sheep I think that says more about them imo.

If Richmond go for Lalor and FOS I think they’re taking a huge risk. Neither are proven consistent midfield ball winners. They have Taranto (injury prone and slow, hopper (injury prone and slow) with bugger all else. FOS is not going to be a 30 touch a game midfielder, nor is Lalor. It’s great going for impact per position players but you don’t build a core around them without ball winners

Jagga would be a steal at 3. Would be reminiscent of Mcluggage to lions.

looks like we aren't looking to fix our problem (backline)...like sheep everyone looks at on-ballers...well, my choice is Bo Allen has all the prerequisites...a bull...clean hands...good leg...leg speed and height.

Bo Allen would be a mulligan Kemp selection.

He's not addressing our KPD gap, he's another medium defender, maybe third third tall, who could possibly turn into a midfielder at some point. Good player, I'm sure, but not quite what our backline needs.

If Richmond go for Lalor and FOS I think they’re taking a huge risk. Neither are proven consistent midfield ball winners. They have Taranto (injury prone and slow, hopper (injury prone and slow) with bugger all else. FOS is not going to be a 30 touch a game midfielder, nor is Lalor. It’s great going for impact per position players but you don’t build a core around them without ball winners

I think the rationale would be that they take the medium risk, high reward types early, the ones you don't get to see later in the draft, and use later picks or budget trades down the track for some in and under options to feed the ball out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Jagga is the perfect pick 1 for a rebuilding club. That said, Richmond can probably afford to take more of a risk then others before them due to all their 1st round picks.

Random question: If Ashcroft hasn't received a bid at 1 or 2 (unlikely, but a possibility), do we bid?
Depends... if they can help us move down from 38, we might be persuaded to not bid?

Ignoring such sweetheart deals, it comes down to whether we'd want him. You don't bid unless you're prepared for the other side not to match. He certainly belongs in that top group, so would have to consider it.

North would be stupid to trade pick 2.

Just add another top end talent to a young list. Cant go wrong

Usually I’d agree, but they’ve drafted a stack of top end mids the last few years.

McKercher, sheezel, wardlaw, plus ldu and Simpkin.

They don’t really need another high end mid. Their keys at either end are what they need to address and they could trade with Richmond for example and get 6 + one of 10/11/18 and still take the best key player off the board.

Depends... if they can help us move down from 38, we might be persuaded to not bid?

Ignoring such sweetheart deals, it comes down to whether we'd want him. You don't bid unless you're prepared for the other side not to match. He certainly belongs in that top group, so would have to consider it.

Considering we have 2 FS in this draft and 2 Walkers coming up I'd probably not like to invite the bad karma.

Considering we have 2 FS in this draft and 2 Walkers coming up I'd probably not like to invite the bad karma.
The other side of the coin is that we want Bris/GC/Ess to use up a bunch of picks to bring in our late picks for more points.

True but I don’t see any other guaranteed silky 30 plus disposal getters of his quality.
What I find more odd is Tigers fans wanting Lalor and FOS if they get 1&2. Surely if they get both picks (which I doubt they will) it makes sense to go the accumulator plus 1 higher risk / higher reward type, not 2 of the latter.

If the choice is between FOS and Smith, I'd prefer FOS.

Similar types of players, but FOS is less of a twig so less concerns about fitness standards.
He doesn't need to be big with our big body mids around, he just needs to receive and deliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back