Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 76 20.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's Vyvyan Bastard logic. What if a bid didn't come before 38? That's the obliteration of a draft pick rated ahead of Ben for virtually no gain to us.
So are you trusting port Adelaide not to bid on a local S.A all australian kid at a pick 36 as a minimum. That pretty much means that pick 38 gets wiped out. The gain to us is that we get to pick higher meaning that only one of Lalor, FOS. Jagga and Draper are gone as opposed to 2.

We pretty much have to trade out pick 38 one way or another, having already banked the late picks that we need for any bids, rather than risk losing it for nothing. Moving up a spot might be worth more to us than a future 3rd that we would otherwise be looking at.

So are you trusting port Adelaide not to bid on a local S.A all australian kid at a pick 36 as a minimum. That pretty much means that pick 38 gets wiped out. The gain to us is that we get to pick higher meaning that only one of Lalor, FOS. Jagga and Draper are gone as opposed to 2.

We pretty much have to trade out pick 38 one way or another, having already banked the late picks that we need for any bids, rather than risk losing it for nothing. Moving up a spot might be worth more to us than a future 3rd that we would otherwise be looking at.

There's nothing to be lost by waiting - if a bid comes at 36, we flip 38 for a future pick and can then either trade it back in after matching the bid (probably lose a little value, maybe get a pick in the early 40s) or just hold the future pick for next year. If a bid doesn't come though, we get to use Pick 38 as it is.

Trading it out now to move from 3 to 2 guarantees we lose Pick 38 entirely, and there's a decent chance we do so solely for the privilege of taking the same player at 2 as we would have at 3.

There's nothing to be lost by waiting - if a bid comes at 36, we flip 38 for a future pick and can then either trade it back in after matching the bid (probably lose a little value, maybe get a pick in the early 40s) or just hold the future pick for next year. If a bid doesn't come though, we get to use Pick 38 as it is.

Trading it out now to move from 3 to 2 guarantees we lose Pick 38 entirely, and there's a decent chance we do so solely for the privilege of taking the same player at 2 as we would have at 3.
As I understand it, once a bid comes in you can’t then trade your next pick. That is why clubs get rid of their picks in the first place.

Can only trade for a future pick before the bid comes in, correct me if I’m wrong but make sense.

Look, I'm jaded. I've been around long enough to see our best results come from left-field or from when we've either had everything or nothing to lose. When we think we are being meticulous, the results have been underwhelming at best. I'm still not sure we 'get it'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back