Remove this Banner Ad

My order of preference (not that it matters):
Lalor
Jagga
Reid
Langford
FOS
Draper

Top 5 I’d be happy with. Draper I think won’t be picked in the top 3 (outside Ashcroft)

I like Langford, just not sure he's the right fit for us.

Draper won't get past the Crows.

Lalor and Smith are my preferences.

I expect Moir to be a star too, but he isn't yet.

The point with Durdin is you can count on one hand the number of good games he has played. We pumped games into SPS, LOB and Dow too, and nobody is claiming they were recruiting ticks.

The takeaway is that Austin's draft selections are still too young to assess the success rate.
Again I said “arguably” in response to someone complaining about our record going back to Yarran- a time that has nothing to do with Austin.

Given Voss loves Durdin, perhaps what you are wanting from him and what he is being asked to do are 2 different things?

But let’s just say Cowan, Hollands and Moir are all the “ticks” we get from Austin to date - I would argue getting 3 ticks from 1 pick inside 27 is a pretty decent return and reason to think we could trust him with pick 3 in a super draft.

If, as I expect, Durdin, Motlop and Binns also become ticks in the next 12 months I would say getting 6 ticks from those picks is unbelievable and almost unheard of

I kinda like that. A kids self belief that he can not only play, but succeed at AFL level goes along way imo.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app
First player to come out with
Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence”
Gets my vote for pick 3 😂

Again I said “arguably” in response to someone complaining about our record going back to Yarran- a time that has nothing to do with Austin.

Given Voss loves Durdin, perhaps what you are wanting from him and what he is being asked to do are 2 different things?

But let’s just say Cowan, Hollands and Moir are all the “ticks” we get from Austin to date - I would argue getting 3 ticks from 1 pick inside 27 is a pretty decent return and reason to think we could trust him with pick 3 in a super draft.

If, as I expect, Durdin, Motlop and Binns also become ticks in the next 12 months I would say getting 6 ticks from those picks is unbelievable and almost unheard of

Yes, you are saying 'arguably'. Thus, I am arguing they aren't evidence of Austin's ability yet.

I'm firmly on the fence here as Austin hasn't been vindicated or not vindicated. However, I always say that we support until given enough reason not to support, so we trust what he does with Pick 3 this year.

On Durdin, it helps to know that we were lacking any sort of forward pressure player for that Saints game, so Durdin was missed. It also probably highlights why Owies is no longer with us.

Statistically though, Durdin is down in goals, tackles, possessions, and arguably pressure acts. What he does have is genuine pace, and that is why we persevere and hope he produces.

All coaches have favourites and not so favourites. I don't think Voss liking him signifies that what we see from him is wrong.

Last edited:
First player to come out with
Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence”
Gets my vote for pick 3
Yep. I want whoever we select with 3 to be like that. Even if it's internally. Arrogance & confidence. All top line players have it.

Reckon the prelude to the draft will be as fascinating as the draft itself.

Norf hold the key if they hold onto pick 2 or trade it. Tiggs the obvious ones so Norf can obtain 2 first round picks. If they're keen on Tauru as reported, they may not risk trading down even if he is a stretch at pick 2.

Interesting post on the Tiggs board from someone who seems to have a good track record, saying that they're keen on Lalor, FOS and Smillie. They'e in a situation if they trade up to get Lalor/FOS using pick 6, they'll have little chance on getting Smillie who the Saints are apparently keen on.

Also says that FOS is the player we're targeting, which is why they're keen on trading up with Norf. I guess we'll be hoping that Norf retain their pick which likely gives us better access to our target - but if the rumour has any legs and the Tiggs trade up to take Lalor and FOS, I'd be more than happy with Jagga.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can have strong self belief without coming out and stating it publicly though...

Bit of figjam about him
Absolutely! Which is why I said "kinda like it"
I would much prefer they held that strong self belief, arrogance etc within themselves, but the main thing is that they have it. Strength of mind and character are key attributes a draftee needs imo.

That sounds like an 'ad populum' statement to me.

I have big hopes for Moir and at least some for Cowan but I would have hoped for more from Hollands at this stage. Of the others, I'm too fatigued by the whole thing to know what a pass mark would look like. Binns may not make it, Motlop is inconsistent and Durdin was always a relatively low possession player who is not really an athletic standout at his height and build.

I can imagine the poor draft(s) argument if things continue to be brought up but you create your own opportunities, IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, you are saying 'arguably'. This, I am arguing they aren't evidence of Austin's ability yet.

I'm firmly on the fence here as Austin hasn't been vindicated or not vindicated. However, I always say that we support until given enough reason not to support, so we trust what he does with Pick 3 this year.

On Durdin, it helps to know that we were lacking any sort of forward pressure player for that Saints game, so Durdin was missed. It also probably highlights why Owies is no longer with us.

Statistically though, Durdin is down in goals, tackles, possessions, and arguably pressure acts. What he does have is genuine pace, and that is why we persevere and hope he produces.

All coaches have favourites and not so favourites. I don't think Voss liking him signifies that what we see from him is wrong.
Yep, clearly the coaches opinion of a player and your opinion of the player should be treated equally.

But on Austin I would say 2 things, a player not being a hit does not make them a miss and this will be Austin’s 5 draft and in 2025 there will likely be between 3 and 7 best 23 players in a side expected to make finals from those drafts with just 1 top 10 pick and 2 inside 27 - that is a pretty decent record.

That sounds like an 'ad populum' statement to me.

I have big hopes for Moir and at least some for Cowan but I would have hoped for more from Hollands at this stage. Of the others, I'm too fatigued by the whole thing to know what a pass mark would look like. Binns may not make it, Motlop is inconsistent and Durdin was always a relatively low possession player who is not really an athletic standout at his height and build.

I can imagine the poor draft(s) argument if things continue to be brought up but you create your own opportunities, IMO.
Going back to where we started, look at the picks Austin has had - regardless of the quality of the draft picks in that range are always going to be speculative

Can have strong self belief without coming out and stating it publicly though...

Bit of figjam about him
Yep - there is a difference between confidence and arrogance.

As Pagan used to say - if you are any good you don't have to tell them, they will be telling you.

Finally some common sense. Cal Twomey has this guy at #2 after Ashcroft.
His highlights reel looks so much better than Drapers, whom Twomey has at #8.
Draper is quick, strong through the hips, but I can’t see what 35% of this board see.
For a top 3 pick, I think Draper is a big risk because of his disposal.

Langfords kicking looks elite. Might be the best kick in the top 10. Penetrating and accurate. Kicks off one step. Quick getting ball from hand to foot.

Even though his sprint time is a concern l think his other attributes make up for it. Very strong body with good core strength. Good disposal under pressure. Reads game well. Excellent endurance.

(Note travaglia and Langford have similar sprint and endurance times yet l’m not bullish on travaglia becoming a midfielder, partly because of his sprint time. I think langfords size and strength compensates for being a little slower than others. It’s an interesting discussion though)

I don’t think Langford suits Carlton’s needs but he looks like a top 5 pick to me. Wonder if Adelaide would take him over Draper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reckon the prelude to the draft will be as fascinating as the draft itself.

Norf hold the key if they hold onto pick 2 or trade it. Tiggs the obvious ones so Norf can obtain 2 first round picks. If they're keen on Tauru as reported, they may not risk trading down even if he is a stretch at pick 2.

Interesting post on the Tiggs board from someone who seems to have a good track record, saying that they're keen on Lalor, FOS and Smillie. They'e in a situation if they trade up to get Lalor/FOS using pick 6, they'll have little chance on getting Smillie who the Saints are apparently keen on.

Also says that FOS is the player we're targeting, which is why they're keen on trading up with Norf. I guess we'll be hoping that Norf retain their pick which likely gives us better access to our target - but if the rumour has any legs and the Tiggs trade up to take Lalor and FOS, I'd be more than happy with Jagga.
What if Richmond trade up and go Smith and FOS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back