Votes: 27 7.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 88 22.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Langford’s video highlights, for someone who isn’t the quickest he always has space when he has the footy and didn’t ever see him get caught or tackled down!!

Elite kick of the footy, can really see the Bont comparisons!! Impressive kid!

He’s the one I think will shoot up into the top 5 on draft night.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I did the same after we made the trade and came to similar conclusions. In regards to the last part of your post, if both kids underwent a psych evaluation, Jagga would likely present with the better results. He exhibits signs of the strong conscientiousness profile that sports psychologists crave, as it's the personality trait (in the five factor model) most associated with high athletic performance. O'Sullivan seems more extroverted, which is still a positive trait in team sport, but less likely to draw rave reviews from the clubs psychs.

Here's the interviews I listened to if anyone else is interested.

Yeah, I feel if clubs were recruiting on personality alone Jagga would get the tick. Clearly not the only factor though.

Wait, you made a snide remark to me that was uncalled for.

I didn't somehow make the point that Austin's picks aren't misses. I said from the outside that they aren't hits or misses yet, and you kept responding with more argument.

My point again, they aren't hits OR misses YET.

This is the cut and thrust of message boards. You post a strong opinion and people disagree. You offer up further evidence to back your opinion, and the cut and thrust continued. I said from the start I was in neither camp, so I'm not sure what you were disagreeing with so vehemently.

Having a shot at me as though I suggested my opinion was on a par with Voss, was just cynical. I never got frustrated and had a shot at you.

Up to you whether you stick around. You definitely should. I got smacked around a lot in my early days, and still do occasionally. Most posters here have. It is the nature of forums.
By definition an “arguable” position is not “a strong opinion” and while you claimed you were in “neither camp” you continually pointed to players you believed at least weren’t “hits” while I constantly explained I had made a qualified statement by using the term “arguably” (which you seemed to think encouraged your argument), that the picks didn’t have to be hits to not be misses and most importantly, given the pick range they didn’t have to achieve greatness to be a hit.

As for my shot at you - look at what you said, “all coaches have favourites” and “statistically though Durdin is down” and “I don’t think Voss liking him signifies what we see from him is wrong” - seems like you equating to me, if not claiming your opinion is right and Durdin only gets a game because he is Voss’ favourite

As for being smacked around being the nature of forums- it is only so because it is accepted by those who stay and not by those who leave. If you want a better quality of discussion hold yourself and others to a higher standard - until you do you will continue to lose good posters

Finn is now becoming my preferred option with Jagga!! The more I read about the kid and watch more video, I feel he can be really really special player!!!

Preferences
1. Finn/Jagga
2. Lalor
3. Draper
4. Langford
I doubt we will have a choice between FOS and Jagga, one of them will be gone before our pick.
Which should make the decision easier.

Watching Langford’s video highlights, for someone who isn’t the quickest he always has space when he has the footy and didn’t ever see him get caught or tackled down!!

He gets rid of the ball quick and well. To me that's just as important as sprint speed. Don't think he suits our needs as much but would be happy if the recruiters selected him. Very Jordan Dawson like.

Imo the order of the clubs preference will be as such.

Lalor
FOS
Smith
Draper
Langford

My personal preference would be

Draper
Lalor
Smith
FOS
Langford

Overall though I think we're in a position where we really can't lose with any of the selections. A great bit of trading by Austin and his team, hopefully whoever they decide on ends up the best of the lot.

By definition an “arguable” position is not “a strong opinion” and while you claimed you were in “neither camp” you continually pointed to players you believed at least weren’t “hits” while I constantly explained I had made a qualified statement by using the term “arguably” (which you seemed to think encouraged your argument), that the picks didn’t have to be hits to not be misses and most importantly, given the pick range they didn’t have to achieve greatness to be a hit.

As for my shot at you - look at what you said, “all coaches have favourites” and “statistically though Durdin is down” and “I don’t think Voss liking him signifies what we see from him is wrong” - seems like you equating to me, if not claiming your opinion is right and Durdin only gets a game because he is Voss’ favourite

As for being smacked around being the nature of forums- it is only so because it is accepted by those who stay and not by those who leave. If you want a better quality of discussion hold yourself and others to a higher standard - until you do you will continue to lose good posters

So basically, you were justified in having a snipe at me, because of the way you interpreted my answer. You couldn't maintain a diplomatic stance and responded to me on merit. Yet, somehow it is my response to you that is a forum problem and the cause of BigFooty losing posters? Is that about right?

I maintain, unless you can bring me something to the contrary, that Voss liking a player, doesn't mean that the player is performing to expectations. You seemed to be suggesting that Durdin was successful in his position because Voss talked him up after the St Kilda game. Me querying that correlation is somehow me thinking I know better than Voss how good Durdin has been thus far, yet Voss has not, to my knowledge, made any comment about Durdin's career performance thus far. That's not me disagreeing with Voss or knowing better than Voss. That's me saying that Durdin hasn't proven himself yet, and Voss hasn't said anything to the contrary. Hell, I like Durdin. Of all of our small forwards, he is the one I want to succeed the most, because he can tackle and he is quick. He has the trait most desirable if you like. To date, he has found it hard to stay involved and find the pill, so he is a work in progress.

Smacked around is just a throwaway way of saying that you will be challenged. If you post on forums and don't expect reasoned, constructive pushback, then forums are not for you. It's that simple. We are a discussion site, not an opinion site where all opinions go unchallenged.

You were in the midst of debating somebody else when I ventured in. I did not try to side with the other person that these selections were misses and only offered further negative commentary on some players when you used games played as reasoning for why they were 'hits'. I also offered that Ollie Hollands and Lachie Cowan could possibly be considered hits so far.

Simply, you didn't seem to like anybody quoting you and holding a more moderate position and now you are gaslighting to suggest I was the problem here. There is zero need for the circular argument. I've been constructive and diplomatic.

I suggest we drop it.

Finn is gonna be a superstar, I think people underestimate the impact he will have coming into our side with the midfielders around him

This is the key point. He is not going to get the attention because of the big guns around him. He is going to get the chance to play his natural game. We can't just forget about his aerial ability, penetrating kick, and ability to burst out of the centre and kick well to leading forwards, or hit the scoreboard himself.

He could easily become the best player in this draft class. That kicking action is a thing of beauty. Nice ball drop, low and penetrating kick, puts the ball to the advantage side of a teammate, powerful, creates time and space, good tackler. I know everyone wants speed but that isn’t the only important factor for a player. Another thing our midfield lacks is polished delivery by foot. I don’t think we’ll take Langford but he could easily be some the best player in this pool IMO. Looks a special talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gets rid of the ball quick and well. To me that's just as important as sprint speed. Don't think he suits our needs as much but would be happy if the recruiters selected him. Very Jordan Dawson like.
A midfielder who can kick the ball, hit forward targets with precision, an excellent mark over head, can play forward and kick goals…

I think Langford would be a great pick for our team and would raise the standard of delivery into our forward line which is what we need.

Imo the order of the clubs preference will be as such.

Lalor
FOS
Smith
Draper
Langford

My personal preference would be

Draper
Lalor
Smith
FOS
Langford

Overall though I think we're in a position where we really can't lose with any of the selections. A great bit of trading by Austin and his team, hopefully whoever they decide on ends up the best of the lot.
Apologies if you've already explained it, but what are your thoughts on FOS? I reckon he'd be amazing for us, but you don't seem to be a fan. I'd have FOS over Lalor from my limited viewing so far.

So basically, you were justified in having a snipe at me, because of the way you interpreted my answer. You couldn't maintain a diplomatic stance and responded to me on merit. Yet, somehow it is my response to you that is a forum problem and the cause of BigFooty losing posters? Is that about right?

I maintain, unless you can bring me something to the contrary, that Voss liking a player, doesn't mean that the player is performing to expectations. You seemed to be suggesting that Durdin was successful in his position because Voss talked him up after the St Kilda game. Me querying that correlation is somehow me thinking I know better than Voss how good Durdin has been thus far, yet Voss has not, to my knowledge, made any comment about Durdin's career performance thus far. That's not me disagreeing with Voss or knowing better than Voss. That's me saying that Durdin hasn't proven himself yet, and Voss hasn't said anything to the contrary. Hell, I like Durdin. Of all of our small forwards, he is the one I want to succeed the most, because he can tackle and he is quick. He has the trait most desirable if you like. To date, he has found it hard to stay involved and find the pill, so he is a work in progress.

Smacked around is just a throwaway way of saying that you will be challenged. If you post on forums and don't expect reasoned, constructive pushback, then forums are not for you. It's that simple. We are a discussion site, not an opinion site where all opinions go unchallenged.

You were in the midst of debating somebody else when I ventured in. I did not try to side with the other person that these selections were misses and only offered further negative commentary on some players when you used games played as reasoning for why they were 'hits'. I also offered that Ollie Hollands and Lachie Cowan could possibly be considered hits so far.

Simply, you didn't seem to like anybody quoting you and holding a more moderate position and now you are gaslighting to suggest I was the problem here. There is zero need for the circular argument. I've been constructive and diplomatic.

I suggest we drop it.
I made 1 qualified comment- that is not in the midst of a debate and “arguably” is already a moderate opinion.

Keep telling yourself you aren’t the problem and you and your mates can keep smacking around your “opponents” rather than have a nuanced discussion

I’m done for now

I didn't really follow draft prospects this year as I didn't think we would have a 1st round pick.

After watching BlueAbroad video with Dylan Alexander it leas me to the below video.

Very insightful. Esspecially if you're like me and are not too familiar with the players this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back