Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 87 22.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Finn is gonna be a superstar, I think people underestimate the impact he will have coming into our side with the midfielders around him

This is the key point. He is not going to get the attention because of the big guns around him. He is going to get the chance to play his natural game. We can't just forget about his aerial ability, penetrating kick, and ability to burst out of the centre and kick well to leading forwards, or hit the scoreboard himself.

Watching Langford’s video highlights, for someone who isn’t the quickest he always has space when he has the footy and didn’t ever see him get caught or tackled down!!

Elite kick of the footy, can really see the Bont comparisons!! Impressive kid!

He could easily become the best player in this draft class. That kicking action is a thing of beauty. Nice ball drop, low and penetrating kick, puts the ball to the advantage side of a teammate, powerful, creates time and space, good tackler. I know everyone wants speed but that isn’t the only important factor for a player. Another thing our midfield lacks is polished delivery by foot. I don’t think we’ll take Langford but he could easily be some the best player in this pool IMO. Looks a special talent.

He gets rid of the ball quick and well. To me that's just as important as sprint speed. Don't think he suits our needs as much but would be happy if the recruiters selected him. Very Jordan Dawson like.
A midfielder who can kick the ball, hit forward targets with precision, an excellent mark over head, can play forward and kick goals…

I think Langford would be a great pick for our team and would raise the standard of delivery into our forward line which is what we need.

Imo the order of the clubs preference will be as such.

Lalor
FOS
Smith
Draper
Langford

My personal preference would be

Draper
Lalor
Smith
FOS
Langford

Overall though I think we're in a position where we really can't lose with any of the selections. A great bit of trading by Austin and his team, hopefully whoever they decide on ends up the best of the lot.
Apologies if you've already explained it, but what are your thoughts on FOS? I reckon he'd be amazing for us, but you don't seem to be a fan. I'd have FOS over Lalor from my limited viewing so far.

I didn't really follow draft prospects this year as I didn't think we would have a 1st round pick.

After watching BlueAbroad video with Dylan Alexander it leas me to the below video.

Very insightful. Esspecially if you're like me and are not too familiar with the players this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good video. I like Dylan's take on the point of difference we need.

FOS is the direct, pacy, goalscoring mid that we need. Draper is a pacy worker and not the best kick out there. Banking on him becoming a goalkicker seems an unnecessary risk. If FOS adds accumulation to his game, bearing in mind, he played injured so has excuses why he didn't accumulate this year, then he has the highest ceiling and the biggest point of difference in the draft, aside from maybe Lalor.
I suspect Draper (et al) being a “goal kicker” or not won’t be a determining factor.

A club that jettisons a 60 goal forward (over 2 years) isn’t one searching for goal kicking options - it must think it can add goal-kicking value elsewhere.

Our clear & present need is to add explosive pace forward of the stoppage - presenting better 1/1 looks in our forward line.

Draper does this, reportedly with some work to do on managing his pace & delivery.

Reading/watching the better informed opinions about our options, Jagga and FOS could also provide this x-factor to our mid-mix.

I’m drunk on Draper’s pace!

Imagine the roar as he screams through the middle of the G.

😜

Finn is now becoming my preferred option with Jagga!! The more I read about the kid and watch more video, I feel he can be really really special player!!!

Preferences
1. Finn/Jagga
2. Lalor
3. Draper
4. Langford
My issue with Finn is watching his vision it does not paint a great story for me.
I have concerns everywhere, I really hope people closer to him and with way more knowledge than me are correct.

I suspect Draper (et al) being a “goal kicker” or not won’t be a determining factor.

A club that jettisons a 60 goal forward (over 2 years) isn’t one searching for goal kicking options - it must think it can add goal-kicking value elsewhere.

Our clear & present need is to add explosive pace forward of the stoppage - presenting better 1/1 looks in our forward line.

Draper does this, reportedly with some work to do on managing his pace & delivery.

Reading/watching the better informed opinions about our options, Jagga and FOS could also provide this x-factor to our mid-mix.

I’m drunk on Draper’s pace!

Imagine the roar as he screams through the middle of the G.

😜

I haven't seen the 20m times for Draper. FOS was 12th at the combined for this measure. Quicker than Smith.

I'd also suggest that when you suggest the club is looking elsewhere to replace Owies' goals ... my first thought was 'yes, from the midfield'.

I haven't seen the 20m times for Draper. FOS was 12th at the combined for this measure. Quicker than Smith.

I'd also suggest that when you suggest the club is looking elsewhere to replace Owies' goals ... my first thought was 'yes, from the midfield'.

He did 2.94 a couple of years ago at SA testing and 7.80 for the agility test. Would have finished 5th and 1st at this year's combine.

That's true. That said, this pecking order is meant to reflect the onball rotation, not a ranking of players in general.

I expect whoever we pick at 3 to play round 1 but most likely not as one if our main onballers. Could progress there throughout the year though.

Daicos and Scheezel started halfback whilst Walsh spent the first half of season 1 on the wing. Pretty unusual to be a primary onballer from day dot. Ashcroft the only one I can think of recently.
Whoever pick 3 will be he will be surrounded by a pretty strong midfield - woudlnt be surprsied if they end up part of the primary on ball team pretty quickly

Interestingly Ben Camporeale didn’t make Twomey’s Top [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] so only real risk is Saints bidding on him before our Pick.

Twomey added his next [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] on the Gettable show

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interestingly Ben Camporeale didn’t make Twomey’s Top [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] so only real risk is Saints bidding on him before our Pick.

Twomey added his next [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] on the Gettable show

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I can't see him getting past Port's two picks before our 38 (29 and 36).

He did 2.94 a couple of years ago at SA testing and 7.80 for the agility test. Would have finished 5th and 1st at this year's combine.

FOS did 2.98 I think. In a season where he has played with injuries, it's a decent result. High in the agility too and 2nd in vertical leap. Plus he is a good kick and long kick. I'm just not seeing the advantage in the way Draper plays that cancels out FOS' marking and goalscoring prowess.

If we select one of the midfielders with pace and clearance skills (i.e Jagga or Sid) i'd hope they'd be straight into 4 or 5 on that list as of Round 1.
What we need is a midfielder with pace , clearance and kicking skills.
Reckon pick 3 is wasted on Draper. Clears the ball well by hand and short passes but floats his kicks inaccurately when longer. He’s flashy and glossy, caught up in showing off his speed, may mature with experience and tone it down, but not at pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back