• Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 89 22.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was originally on the Draper train.

Like many others, his pace and burst from the stoppage wowed me.

However, thinking back to our season gone past, what did we/I lament about our footy strategy? It was getting the ball and then just bombing it long and ending up with a turnover.

Daresay it, we don't need 'burst' and bullet train speed from a stoppage.

We need footy smarts and elite ball use and the ability to keep the footy in our possession through smart running patterns.

Give me someone like Pendles, Bont, Gulden who aren't considered quick, but rather just have great footy brains and can execute under pressure.

Is Jagga Smith the one for me now?
This x1000. Exactly my thoughts as well.

Annual ferrisb annoying draft Q: Who are the players that retain possession?

I want the next Gulden. I don't even care about athleticism that much, I'd happily take the next Sidebottom; someone who gets the ball and has the vision, footy IQ and disposal to find and hit a target.

At pick #3 - from the little I have seen... this seems to be Smith. He finds open targets. He kicks to advantage. He handpasses to where his teammate should move to, not to a static spot. Anyone else better than him in the top 5?

At pick #38 - who's the roughie that hits up teammates time after time?

It sounds stupid, but all I want is players that get the ball to teammates....
This post garnering a few likes, but I would have preferred answers...

Draft watchers... Who are the players in this draft that fit this description?

A possible combination is , Alex Lindsay at #3, a balanced midfielder with speed , running power and kicking skills, great ball use too and at #38 James Barrat tall defender, a lot to like about both lads, they’d be quality additions to the team.

Last edited:
It’s fascinating how differently people see things, there’s so many names being thrown around on here.

To me it’s looking like Smith or FOS, depending on which one is still available. Hopefully there is a good key defender we can grab with our second pick.

I want the next Gulden. I don't even care about athleticism that much, I'd happily take the next Sidebottom; someone who gets the ball and has the vision, footy IQ and disposal to find and hit a target.

At pick #3 - from the little I have seen... this seems to be Smith. He finds open targets. He kicks to advantage. He handpasses to where his teammate should move to, not to a static spot. Anyone else better than him in the top 5?
Definitely one of the areas we’ve lacked are players with vision and skill that can deliver I50 and hit forward targets.

There is someone who has beautiful disposal, kicks to advantage, has high footy IQ, great overhead marking and can also hit the scoreboard…Harvey Langford.

Imagine Harvey running through the midfield delivering with the left boot in tandem with Elijah on the right flank delivering I50 to Harry, Charlie or Kemp.

Last edited:
Lots of requests recently for more vision of Sam Lalor. Given his injury restricted 2024 season we have to go back to 2023 when he was a bottom ager. Here we see him putting in a remarkably powerful game as an inside midfielder given he's a year younger than most of his opponents, bulldozing through stoppage or crunching in with tackling pressure. He found plenty of the footy, but was uncharacteristically a bit variable with his disposal.

Love the one handed mark, then sprays his set shot on the full.

I reckon this kid will be a handful i50 for defenders.

I think FOS and Lalor will get gone before our pick, and we will choose between Draper and Smith.

If Austin has been hoping for a player who has already gone, then I could see him looking to trade down.
Can see this also, tbh I feel the top end is a lot more even rather than special... id much rather say, Smillie and Hotton, than 1 top 3 pick, issue is those 2 are right around Melbournes 2 picks.

Finally some common sense. Cal Twomey has this guy at #2 after Ashcroft.
His highlights reel looks so much better than Drapers, whom Twomey has at #8.
Draper is quick, strong through the hips, but I can’t see what 35% of this board see.
For a top 3 pick, I think Draper is a big risk because of his disposal.
Geeze Langford is a great kick that's for sure...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a silly question and I'm sure it has been answered before but....

Do we have any academy kids and if so who are they?

Thanks in advance....

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If I’m not mistaken, Tyson Gresham (brother of Jade) and Jack Ison are eligible next year.

Definitely one of the areas we’ve lacked are players with vision and skill that can deliver I50 and hit forward targets.

There is someone who has beautiful disposal, kicks to advantage, has high footy IQ, great overhead marking and can also hit the scoreboard…Harvey Langford.

Imagine Harvey running through the midfield delivering with the left boot in tandem with Elijah on the right flank delivering I50 to Harry, Charlie or Kemp.

Wow, Langford is a bloody nice kick off a step.
It doesn’t look lazy when he does it, really kicks through it

Looking at Langford’s highlights package.

He doesn’t seem slow, just not the explosive type of midfielder that everyone seems to think would add to our current midfield mix.

Seems like he is a good decision maker, can create space and an elite user.

Last edited:
The closer we get to draft night, the higher Langford will be on most people’s list.

He may not have the speed we seem to be crying out for, but I’d argue we need someone that can deliver a footy inside 50 as good as he does just as much.

My top 3 is now

• Langford
  • FOS
  • Smith

The fact that you can also throw in Draper, Lalor & Reid to that list tells you what an incredible opportunity we have this draft with #3

Last edited:
Sam Lalor fits the bill - if this doesn't sell you on him I don't know what will. I can see why he won't be there at pick 3.

Woulda preferred the Titsnic song...but seriously, how can we tell when he's playing against kids? All we can,see is he's better than those around him. Bigger and stronger.
Also had hip and other injuries.

Having said that, no doubt he shows enormous promise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back